5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather dash lifting away and crating bubbles, seats peeling

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my service advisor, it’s about 3 days to disassemble and reassemble the ENTIRE dashboard. That’s what it took on a Trackhawk he saw done. He said this is a really rare repair or problem. I think people don’t want to fork out that kind of coin…I don’t.
They overpriced the job, they don't want to do it. It is a 1 day job at most.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
According to my service advisor, it’s about 3 days to disassemble and reassemble the ENTIRE dashboard. That’s what it took on a Trackhawk he saw done. He said this is a really rare repair or problem. I think people don’t want to fork out that kind of coin…I don’t.

Last quote I saw for a dealer replaced dash including labor was a little over 2K.

If the dealer option doesn't work, highly recommend a quality independent auto upholstery shop. Likely substantially less expensive along with probably a more lasting repair utilizing materials less likely to shrink over the OEM one. Many switch over to a higher quality vinyl instead of leather.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The leather dash issues are the only thing stopping me from buying another RAM. You would think that, since the 2019MY failures, someone would learn what to do to fix it once and for all in 2024. Shame on RAM and their supplier for allowing this nonsense to continue:mad:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I love how mechanics want to charge you book price for easy jobs they do quicker, and harder more annoying jobs they ignore the book rate and go crazy high. Gota love the car repair industry. The only thing the "service advisors" advise is how to separate you from your money.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love how mechanics want to charge you book price for easy jobs they do quicker, and harder more annoying jobs they ignore the book rate and go crazy high. Gota love the car repair industry. The only thing the "service advisors" advise is how to separate you from your money.
It happens in all industries unfortunately. If a landscaper doesn't want to do a small project, he will over bid it. I have had contractors flat out tell me on jobs they weren't interested in.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It happens in all industries unfortunately. If a landscaper doesn't want to do a small project, he will over bid it. I have had contractors flat out tell me on jobs they weren't interested in.
I don't have book time in the IT industry.
Don't know of any industry that has "book time", but I also have not worked.
You can either allow over bidding, or have book time, can't have the best of both worlds and choose whatever screws the customer over more imo.
Book time on itself is not the worst thing ever, and over bidding because a job sucks or is not interested is not terrible either, when you combine both is when it really is insane.
These are car dealerships certified from the manufacture to do work on X Y Z branded cars with set rates, except when they don't wanna and ignore the listed rate. When you are getting charged over MSRP you are told, they can't hide MSRP and then you know you are getting screwed. Here there is a guy saying it's 3 days of work for a 1 day job, the customer doesn't know he is getting screwed "by the book"

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
2019 limited here. Mine is atrocious now. Took it in right after 3/36k expired and they said no, but now it’s fully separated. I called ram customer care and initially they’re saying they’ll pay $2400 under “goodwill”. It’s a $4400 repair. Going to escalate it since I never had a problem on my 2010 1500 or two Durango r/t’s. It’s obviously a manufacturer’s defect.
I'm thinking they would normally charge around $2000 for this. They've inflated the stated repair cost to try and convince you they're trying to help you out. Do as suggested and hit up an upholstery shop to see what they would charge to recover the dash.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have book time in the IT industry.
Don't know of any industry that has "book time", but I also have not worked.
You can either allow over bidding, or have book time, can't have the best of both worlds and choose whatever screws the customer over more imo.
Book time on itself is not the worst thing ever, and over bidding because a job sucks or is not interested is not terrible either, when you combine both is when it really is insane.
These are car dealerships certified from the manufacture to do work on X Y Z branded cars with set rates, except when they don't wanna and ignore the listed rate. When you are getting charged over MSRP you are told, they can't hide MSRP and then you know you are getting screwed. Here there is a guy saying it's 3 days of work for a 1 day job, the customer doesn't know he is getting screwed "by the book"
Happens everyday in all sorts of industries. Is it a dirty tactic, yes. End of the day, they can charge whatever they want for a repair/service. So many services and repairs at shops pay less than book time

Hraval

Reaction score
I have RAM 2500 with 15K miles and exactly 3 year old this month. I just saw a bubble pop up on my dash last week. Is there a way to ask Ram to cover it? This is an expensive truck and I am seeing many have experienced this issue .

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have RAM 2500 with 15K miles and exactly 3 year old this month. I just saw a bubble pop up on my dash last week. Is there a way to ask Ram to cover it? This is an expensive truck and I am seeing many have experienced this issue .

You will likely still be covered if your ownership is 3 years or less. However, if just slightly past, your dealership should be able to cover it as good will.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It will be covered if you're still under the factory warranty (3yr/36mo). Outside of that it's anyone's guess. You'll just have to contact dealerships in your area.

Doug@77

Reaction score
Well I went to the dealership on mines they said I'm out of warranty and I will have to pay for it. A couple of thousand to have it fix. 2019 limited

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_155342361_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231204_155342361_HDR.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231204_155255474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231204_155255474_HDR.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231204_155055463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231204_155055463_HDR.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 17

speedracernc

Reaction score
Well I went to the dealership on mines they said I'm out of warranty and I will have to pay for it. A couple of thousand to have it fix. 2019 limited
take it to an upholstery shop. Replace with vinyl. Anyone who has the dealership do it is wasting money. It will just happen again.

Tank673

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited that I recently noticed this happening to as well. I am going to see what the dealer in my area says but I also am going to an upholstery shop tomorrow for a quote. Will let everyone know the outcome…

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue here in 2 places caught it early and installed ceramic all around and windshield.

I also make sure to always use my window visor in the warm weather months.

If it gets to bad I’ll end up doing some interior pieces in alcantara

Users who are viewing this thread