5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather dash lifting away and crating bubbles, seats peeling

martys55

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram Laramie Longhorn"s dash is also peeling. got an extended warranty. Hope it's covered.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I am 25 days out of warranty and the dealership said they will not replace the dash. Then they said they would do it if I pay a 100 deductible and pay for a rear differential and break flush for $500. Anyone have contact information for corporate? I will be making a complaint if I can find the right person to email.
Sounds like a reasonable deal to me. It doesn't matter if you're 1 day, 25 days, or 2 years past warranty. It's expired, Stellantis won't reimburse them, and they have no obligation to replace it for free. It sucks, and I can sympathize. But some people are paying $2k or more out of pocket for a dash replacement. At least you'd be paying for a service and getting a new dash in addition. The $100 "deductible" is odd though. That usually implies some kind of warranty is involved, unless the dealership is just calling their kickback a deductible.

CBaughn

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and I recently starting noticing my leather is pulling away from the dash and in a matter of a month it's become pretty significant. I always use a window shade on the windshield. It's also starting t crack/peel near above the upper tray where they power outlet is. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm going t take to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm hoping they will take one look at it and just honor it as a defect under the warranty. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if should expect a hard time about getting it resolved.

I also have a separate issue where the leather seats are peeling on the sides, my assumption is they will say that s normal wear and tear, which I think would be ridiculous considering the truck is only 22 months old. The interior materials just don't seem to be the quality that it should be.
View attachment 68421 View attachment 68422 View attachment 68423
View attachment 68424 View attachment 68425

CBaughn

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing - both sides of dash - and the plastic over the tray. Waiting for the next time I'm out by the dealer (for my windshield wiper recall) to open a ticket on this.

Surprised you use a shade and this still happened. Dealer asked me if I used one (I don't). Manual doesn't say to use one - and it didn't come with one.

First truck with leather dash - none of my previous vehicles ever had an issue. Never used a shade on any of them.

Once they replace it - I will use a shade - but until then...

This seems to be a common issue...

Rick
Rick

I am having the same problem. The dealer has taken 8 weeks to even reply if they will fix it. It started at 22,000 miles but was just 4 months out of warranty. I have the extended warranty but it does not cover it.
The dealer said he sees a lot of this issue in the same place on the vehicle. Obviously there should be a recall or just fix it. Very disappointed with Dodge. A $68,000 vehicle with poor service?

CBaughn

Dhan263

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram Laramie Longhorn"s dash is also peeling. got an extended warranty. Hope it's covered.
Did they ever get back to you on this? Just swung by the dealer today with same issue on passenger side dash and at the instrument cluster

WeekndUncle

Reaction score
Did they ever fix this issue at the factory? Should we assume it's still a problem with 2022/2023?

juanm1024

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2019 limited. I don't remember if it came like this but I bought this truck in February 2022 and noticed this about a month or 2 ago. I live in FL and use no visor. I have a certified used car warranty and an extended warranty. I wonder if the Certified covered it (I don't know what it covers).

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2019 limited. I don't remember if it came like this but I bought this truck in February 2022 and noticed this about a month or 2 ago. I live in FL and use no visor. I have a certified used car warranty and an extended warranty. I wonder if the Certified covered it (I don't know what it covers).
Good luck...seems only the base 3/36 covers it without having a service manager do you a solid.

shmoota

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and I recently starting noticing my leather is pulling away from the dash and in a matter of a month it's become pretty significant. I always use a window shade on the windshield. It's also starting t crack/peel near above the upper tray where they power outlet is. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm going t take to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm hoping they will take one look at it and just honor it as a defect under the warranty. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if should expect a hard time about getting it resolved.

I also have a separate issue where the leather seats are peeling on the sides, my assumption is they will say that s normal wear and tear, which I think would be ridiculous considering the truck is only 22 months old. The interior materials just don't seem to be the quality that it should be.
I have a 2019 and my leather dash has done this twice. I believe it is a faw in the glue that holds the leather down. Heat inside the cab causes the glue to come loose over time. Dodge is aware of this issue but denies it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 and my leather dash has done this twice. I believe it is a faw in the glue that holds the leather down. Heat inside the cab causes the glue to come loose over time. Dodge is aware of this issue but denies it.
Dodge doesn't care about the dash in your 2019 Ram. ☺

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How many people with the problem properly treat the leather, and how many don't? Especially in hotter climates, leather will shrink if not properly conditioned.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many people with the problem properly treat the leather, and how many don't? Especially in hotter climates, leather will shrink if not properly conditioned.
Has nothing to do with the surface leather...is all about the glue underneath. Hot climates will definitely make it worse.

Had mine replaced under the base warranty but have no doubt it will come back and will not be covered under an extended warranty.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the surface leather...is all about the glue underneath. Hot climates will definitely make it worse.

Had mine replaced under the base warranty but have no doubt it will come back and will not be covered under an extended warranty.
If the leather shrinks, it's going to pull the glue. If the glue doesn't give, the leather tears itself in half.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the leather shrinks, it's going to pull the glue. If the glue doesn't give, the leather tears itself in half.
Leather does shrink over time. That's a given. And conditioning does help keep it supple longer. But the issues with these dashes isn't because the leather is shrinking, it's because the adhesive fails...causing it to bubble and pull away from the dash. It's not cracking or tearing, it's bubbling and lifting away from the dash. And it's happening when everything is still new, within the first three years in most reported cases.

Sparky146

Reaction score

We have a 2020 limited and are having the same problems. Was yours covered by the factory warranty?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a 2020 limited and are having the same problems. Was yours covered by the factory warranty?
Standard 3/36 warranty will cover it (Mine did). Extended will not as they consider it trim which is not covered.

BB RAM

Reaction score
Leather does shrink over time. That's a given. And conditioning does help keep it supple longer. But the issues with these dashes isn't because the leather is shrinking, it's because the adhesive fails...causing it to bubble and pull away from the dash. It's not cracking or tearing, it's bubbling and lifting away from the dash. And it's happening when everything is still new, within the first three years in most reported cases.
Got a 2021 with the same issue out of service warranty ,no recall. Shaking my head. Read where others had dash replaced under warranty only to have the same issue again. manufacturing issue.

pa69cam

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2021 LIMITED LONGHORN WITH 36910 MILES JUST NOTICED A LARGE BUBBLE IN THE DASH.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got a 2021 with the same issue out of service warranty ,no recall. Shaking my head. Read where others had dash replaced under warranty only to have the same issue again. manufacturing issue.

I HAVE A 2021 LIMITED LONGHORN WITH 36910 MILES JUST NOTICED A LARGE BUBBLE IN THE DASH.

Guys, all I can suggest if you're still under warranty is to get it take care of at a dealership. If not covered, I'd hit up an upholstery shop and see what they might suggest for a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread