5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any of the old ones, but if you really want, I can load a video of my 21 Durango, my girlfriends 20 Ford Edge, and my daughters 22 Equinox that all do.
How about a video of the 21 Durango doing it- vehicle running while in it with the fob, open door, get out with fob while vehicle still running, and close the door.
Not to be confused with the three horn honk that happens if you leave the fob in the vehicle, open door, lock doors from the inside door lock switch, and close the door. That’s a completely different feature than the one being discussed in this thread.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How about a video of the 21 Durango doing it- vehicle running while in it with the fob, open door, get out with fob while vehicle still running, and close the door.
Not to be confused with the three horn honk that happens if you leave the fob in the vehicle, open door, lock doors from the inside door lock switch, and close the door. That’s a completely different feature than the one being discussed in this thread.
Actually, when you read post #1, it asks both.

Dewey

Reaction score
I don't have any of the old ones, but if you really want, I can load a video of my 21 Durango, my girlfriends 20 Ford Edge, and my daughters 22 Equinox that all do.
No need. I’m just clearing up that not all vehicles with pushbutton start have the feature. This is a RAM forum and none before 2022 had this so that’s really all that matters.

HemiDude

Reaction score
@RamCares when is the voting going to close because the Owner Selected Option to disable the chirp is the overwhelming winner?

When will the Firmware update be available?
I hope @RamCares is monitoring other sources for input as well. I'm not sure 124 unhappy guys on one Ram forum are enough evidence to prompt Ram to dedicate time to changing this 🤔

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hope @RamCares is monitoring other sources for input as well. I'm not sure 124 unhappy guys on one Ram forum are enough evidence to prompt Ram to dedicate time to changing this 🤔
You mean 159.
124 people want the option to disable it. 35 hate it.
94.1% of the people who voted either wanted it remoted or the option to disable it.

Ramcares is not a technical team and doesn't have the power to do anything. They can at most submit a feature request to the developers\engineers.

HemiDude

Reaction score
You mean 159.
124 people want the option to disable it. 35 hate it.
94.1% of the people who voted either wanted it remoted or the option to disable it.

Ramcares is not a technical team and doesn't have the power to do anything. They can at most submit a feature request to the developers\engineers.
Gee, thanks for checking my math. And I'm aware that Ram Cares doesn't make actual changes. Ram Cares did, however, post the question on this thread. My point was that this is a small sample size, and I hope if Ram Cares does actually care, they are obtaining enough compelling data that Ram's decision makers choose to do something with it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Gee, thanks for checking my math. And I'm aware that Ram Cares doesn't make actual changes. Ram Cares did, however, post the question on this thread. My point was that this is a small sample size, and I hope if Ram Cares does actually care, they are obtaining enough compelling data that Ram's decision makers choose to do something with it.
If we assume those 159 people own or are looking at buying a Ram.
At the average (likely even higher) price of a Ram 1500 of $50k, that's just under 8 million dollars of truck sales.
Any sample size for a car\truck is going to be small in comparison, I would be more concerned with the % vs the sample size.

I think Ram Cares does care, but it's not up to them.
If anything would of gotten done, it would of been back in 2021 when they implemented one of the systems into the 2022 year model, they are asking people if they don't like now.
They spent the man hours to create something that 94% of owners on this forum want the ability to disable. It takes a lot less work to add the ability to disable the honk, then they did to develop.
Simple switch, vs creating somthing that works on sensors and checking rfid range.

mainjet

Reaction score
I absolutely HATE the 3 honk “chirp” (HONK-HONK-HONK). I would love to disable it.

It’s a push button start so my fob is usually in my pocket. So every time I jump out of the truck and close the door HONK-HONK-HONK, to which I usually mumble “yeah, yeah yeah….” While simultaneously swatting my hand at the truck. Or my more angry response in the 5 AM driveway HONK-HONK-HONK - stupid f**king horn! Shut the F-up!

Couldn’t RAM think of something less annoying like tasering the driver? Just leave them there flopping on the ground for a few seconds. It would call less attention and be less infuriating than the HONK-HONK-HONK. I would just get up off the ground and say - “well I deserved that” and then happily go about my day. And when people see that and ask if that hurts, I’ll just say “not nearly as much as the HONK-HONK-HONK it used to do”

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  1. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  1. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  1. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  1. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares
Can we safely assume, then, that Ram is not going to give us the option to disable it?

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.

Ram Cares
Why don't you let me worry about all of that!!!!!!!! Quit trying to think for me. You assume I'm too stupid to know my truck is still running. You assume a child won't put it in gear if they hear the 3 horn chirps (cause the chirps don't change our ways and habits). You assume I'm parking in a garage. What did I ever do without the annoying horn chirps, I'm lucky to be alive. I could have been poisoned, had my truck stolen, had my kid drive away, been stranded without my keys, and woke up to an empty tank of gas. You are not listening, you are defending this feature.

GMetal

Reaction score
Welcome to the new world where Corporations do the thinking for you because the world is full litigious fools.

Dewey

Reaction score
So basically your completely removing common sense from vehicle ownership?🤔

No matter how idiot proof you make things a bigger idiot will always come along. That’s a given. It’s a viscous circle no matter how many features you add to defeat those said idiots. Please stop forcing features like this on the rest of us only because 1% are morons.

6of36

Reaction score
I say the same thing about the warning to check your back seat built into all new cars now. Way more annoying than a horn chirp. The government is trying to idiot proof cars, instead of idiot proofing the roads, by not giving stupid people a license.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why can't the truck refuse to let you shift from park to drive with no fob, there problem solved and no safety problems.
Even could prevent a carjacking when the driver gets ripped out and has his fob with him, the their wouldn't be able to drive away.

Meanwhile we have these pointless questions from Ramcares where they obviously were trying to bait us per their official response and they were just hoping the votes would allign with what they were already told to broadcast.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Cares sucks. They ask a question, get an answer, then ghost us for months, then when they show back up they list all the reasons they added the stupid feature to begin with. WE DON'T CARE. We never asked for the feature and we don't want it. Allow us to choose!

Dewey

Reaction score
Why can't the truck refuse to let you shift from park to drive with no fob, there problem solved and no safety problems.
Even could prevent a carjacking when the driver gets ripped out and has his fob with him, the their wouldn't be able to drive away.
Hey now don’t be asking for common sense. That’s not allowed these days.

Users who are viewing this thread