5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters

GMetal

Reaction score
Hang on. So are you guys saying that (on 2022+ rams only) when you exit the vehicle with the fob while it’s running, it will honk three times BEFORE the door is closed? If so, that’s not the correct behavior. Every 2022+ ram I’ve been in, the horn will not honk three times until the door is closed and latched all the way.
I am wrong. If I leave any door open and walk away it wont beep. Funny my memory would have me believe it honked when I walked away.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's why it doesn't bother me, I don't walk away from my running vehicle. If I'm doing something like the trailer, I leave the door open. If I am running in to the store for a few minutes, with the dogs in the truck or something, and want to have air or heat, I turn it off, lock it and remote start it. Nobody can jump in and drive away.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hang on. So are you guys saying that (on 2022+ rams only) when you exit the vehicle with the fob while it’s running, it will honk three times BEFORE the door is closed? If so, that’s not the correct behavior. Every 2022+ ram I’ve been in, the horn will not honk three times until the door is closed and latched all the way.
It did 2 days ago after I enabled the kill3honks with my TazerDT.
I wonder if my TazerDT actually enabled a hidden "feature" by doing things backwards?
I also had a message on my dash saying fob has left the vehicle and then I put it back in and left the door open the message wouldn't go away until I restarted it and left the fob inside.

I just checked again right now and it didn't honk at all (as it shouldn't per the Tazer) and the message went away as soon as I put the fob back in the truck without hitting anything. Must of been a TazerDT glitch.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if my TazerDT actually enabled a hidden "feature" by doing things backwards?
I also had a message on my dash saying fob has left the vehicle and then I put it back in and left the door open the message wouldn't go away until I restarted it and left the fob inside.

I just checked again right now and it didn't honk at all (as it shouldn't per the Tazer) and the message went away as soon as I put the fob back in the truck without hitting anything. Must of been a TazerDT glitch.
My Tazer glitches all the time with the Kill3Honk feature. I'd say it works about 80% of the time.

Dewey

Reaction score

Every once in a great while even with the Tazer mine will give a single chirp when closing the door. Probably happens one out of ten times. Also my AutoStop disable will suddenly turn back on a few times a week. Weird how it can be so glitchy like that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Tazer glitches all the time with the Kill3Honk feature. I'd say it works about 80% of the time.

Every once in a great while even with the Tazer mine will give a single chirp when closing the door. Probably happens one out of ten times. Also my AutoStop disable will suddenly turn back on a few times a week. Weird how it can be so glitchy like that.
My start-stop will do the same thing even with my auto-stop eliminator cable (only once a month or so)

Sounds about right with the Tazer, but I don't want to derail this thread in particular. I just had incorrect information because of a thrid party tool acting up.

3 honks is dumb and should have the option to disable, just like the seatbelt chime.
There are a ton of other better options then just honking the horn like now allowing the truck to be put in gear without a fob in the truck via the software that is already in the truck.

This thread\question feels like shanagans. Kind of like when Elon did a questionnaire on\about twitter and him being the CEO and not being happy with the results thinking it would be a landslide.
This questionnaire was a set in stone thing in search of some analytics to support the pre-set direction they are going, politics anyone?

Loudram

Reaction score
Yep, that's the way my '22 is. The door needs to be shut to honk. Left open and no honk.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you want them to add to the cost of the truck adding interlocks? How about don't get out and leave it running. If I get out to attach or detach my trailer, I just don't close the door. No beep.

Well, in Texas we have many days when the temps are in the 100’s with ridiculous humidity, and it’s really nice to run into a convince store or somewhere where I’m only out of the truck for less than 10 minutes and be able to leave the A/C running. The inside of vehicles in Texas get hot really fast. I’ve been able to do this for the past 20 plus years with aftermarket remote starts. Too bad manufacturers cannot make this happen. It’s very simple programming.

Last edited:

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck doesnt beep 3 times when you walk away with the fob in your pocket if you leave the door open?

If you leave the door open, the horn does not honk. At least on my truck. It honks three times when you take the key and close the door. My 2020 Ram did not have this feature. Sucks that the 2022 and up trucks do. It’s one of the features I absolutely hate on my 2022.

meansteve69

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares

My thoughts...

1. Protection from being stranded - If a passenger leaves vehicle with fob a simple warning light/sound comes on dash to notify driver. Solved.

2. Protection from vehicle theft - I fail to see how NOTIFYING everyone around that I'm leaving my truck running protects me from theft. I'd argue the inverse. Now I know if I hear three blaring horns, that truck is ripe for the taking, especially if left unlocked.

3. Protection from vehicle occupants - Again, how does a horn solve anything? I'm going to leave my dog in the truck with the A/C running regardless of the ridiculous blaring horn.

4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption - If you're that low on fuel and/or leave your truck running long enough for it to run out of gas, you've got other problems that need addressing first...

5. Protection from CO - Refer to #1 and #4

meansteve69

Reaction score
Reasons why I want this "feature" gone or option to turn off.

1. It's hot/humid and buggy where I live and I've got a manual gate at the end of my driveway.

2. I have a dog occasionally leave her in the running A/C truck while I run into a store for a few minutes.

3. Been driving for almost two decades now and I've never "forgotten" to turn off a vehicle before getting out. If I ever do, I'll notice it's still on. If I don't, I have no problem taking ownership of that ridiculous mistake in the morning with no gas.

4. I probably wouldn't have purchased this truck knowing this in advance. I certainly would've reconsidered other options to see whether or not they also have this nanny feature.

As you may be able to surmise from this post, I absolutely despise this honking. I can also see why many people, myself included if I lived in a different area or didn't have a dog, wouldn't care about this or even realize it exists.

jackedin

Reaction score
My 2022 worked like Jimmy said until I disable it with the Tazer.

Syfer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to let you know that our team is continually receiving and reviewing your feedback. We greatly appreciate any time you’ve taken to share your opinions with us. We would also like to share some key benefits of the Three Horn Chirp regarding the Key Left Vehicle feature:
  1. Protection from being stranded-If the key leaves the vehicle, i.e. the “airport scenario.” If the driver were to drop someone off at the airport, and that person unknowingly took the key with them (purse, pocket, etc…), the driver would be allowed to drive away. Only upon reaching the destination, and keying off, would they realize they could not turn the vehicle back on. Hopefully they are somewhere (home) and can access a spare key, otherwise they would be stranded.
  2. Protection from vehicle theft-If you were to leave your vehicle running and run into your home/store/school/work/etc…, anyone could enter your vehicle and drive away. That said, once you key off you still be stranded (see point #1), but you would still be without a vehicle.
  3. Protection of vehicle occupants-See point #2, if you leave the vehicle running, an occupant (child) could also accidentally place the vehicle into drive/reverse and cause potential harm or damage.
  4. Avoids unintended fuel consumption-As simple as it sounds, and although minor consequences compared to the rest, most people don’t like to waste gas and money. Our ICE/Gasoline vehicles are allowed to idle until they run out of gas. If left running overnight, the customer could potentially find an empty gas tank in the morning.
  5. Protection from carbon monoxide-If the vehicle is left on in the garage or the “airport drop off scenario” where driver drops off passenger and passenger has only key fob. Passenger takes key fob on plane, driver continues on. By the time the driver parks and attempts to restart the vehicle, they are stranded.
We appreciate any further feedback that you may have and if you have any questions, please feel free to send our team a private message.

Ram Cares
I don't know who is behind this account, but I wish you the same thing that happened with me. I was under the hood when my wife left the car and the honk made me deaf for a while. Your "feature" also wakes up my neighbors when I leave my car to close the garage at night. You create problems, not features. All you need to do is to implement an option with "On"/"Off" values. This task requires no more than 1 hour for any of your IT devs, but you act like the world would collapse if you stop creating problems to your customers.

And one more comment about your "Protection from vehicle theft" joke: you already created an army of customers that LEAVE THE DOOR OPENED because they don't want to hear your triple honk.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
Just went to Sam's Club with my girlfriend for gas yesterday. When she got out to pump, with a new Buick Enclave, it gave three horn chirps. While she pumped, I heard 6 different 3 chirp horns. That station has 5 islands, therefore 20 pumps. 1/3 of the cars there had the, I guess people won't like the term, feature. Like it or not, it seems like it may be a mandated feature, like the stupid check back seat warning. This bugs me a lot less than that.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just went to Sam's Club with my girlfriend for gas yesterday. When she got out to pump, with a new Buick Enclave, it gave three horn chirps. While she pumped, I heard 6 different 3 chirp horns. That station has 5 islands, therefore 20 pumps. 1/3 of the cars there had the, I guess people won't like the term, feature. Like it or not, it seems like it may be a mandated feature, like the stupid check back seat warning. This bugs me a lot less than that.
No one shuts off their engine to pump gas?

I've never heard this at a gas station.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No one shuts off their engine to pump gas?

I've never heard this at a gas station.
It happens with engine off. My wife's Traverse does same thing. If it senses driver getting out with a key left in the vehicle, it honk the horn

Snekpete

Reaction score
It happens with engine off. My wife's Traverse does same thing. If it senses driver getting out with a key left in the vehicle, it honk the horn
I take it that one has to lock the door to prevent the honk? Maybe it just always honks when the FOB is removed and the door is closed? This seems like an annoying feature for everyone involved. I may have been cussing (in my mind) folks for no fault of their own?

I really like being able to leave my Rebel running and locked while on a short errand, no honking.

My 2016 GT will always honk when left running, very annoying. The GT also issues a warning at startup that the 911 support is off, also annoying.

I have found that repetitive warnings are counter productive. We tune them out to such a degree that not only are they ignored, but other more useful warnings can also be ignored.

After you've heard: "Practice ILS approach approved, no separation services will be provided" a few hundred times you disregard what it actually means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online