5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intermittent humming noise and vibration

billydkid5

Reaction score
This just started happening to my truck this evening. It has 6670 miles and the noise can be heard throughout the RPM range. It didn't matter the speed it was a pulsating humming. I'm going to see what happens tomorrow and schedule an appointment with the dealership
did you ever figure this out, please let me know. [email protected]. my 2019 does the same crap.

billydkid5

Reaction score
I have had the same issue. It seem to me that it happens, when I let off the the gas and at lower speeds. Thought it might be something to do with the Etorque system or the regenerative braking. Sounds like a lot of people have had this problem. Wondering if there is a fix, or what I need to do.
did you ever figure this out, please let me know. [email protected]. my 2019 does the same crap.

pguzgar

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn Quad Cab with Hemi (no etorque)

I can get my humming to start every time with precision. Here are the steps:
- Put weight in the backseat and/or back of the cab
- Start driving and get RPMs between 1500 and 2000

That's it.

The sound isn't constant. It begins coming on from nothing, gradually increasing in intensity for a couple seconds, then suddenly cuts out. Wait about 10 more seconds in blissful quiet and then the gradual buildup begins again.

It's VERY reproducible.

- If the RPMs are below 1500 or above 2000, it never happens.
- If there isn't any weight in the back of the cab, it never happens.
- If the RPMs are between 1500 and 2000, but there's no weight in the back of the cab, it never happens.
- If there is weight in the back of the cab, but RPMs are below 1500 or above 2000, it never happens.
- It isn't MDS, because it happens even when accelerating.
- It isn't speed related, because it happens at at any speed (only dependent on RPM).
- The more weight in the back of the cab, the stronger the humming.
- The noise is loud enough to significantly bother rear passengers (and the embarrassed driver) such that they refuse to ride anymore.

It's possible this is also only a cold-weather issue. One commenter from Florida pointed that out, and I don't remember hearing it until summer ended. I won't know until the weather gets warm in Ohio again (watch for it to stop), and then cold again (watch for it to start back up).

A class-action lawsuit for pain and suffering seems like a good solution if they can't get this fixed. I'll check with lawyers later this summer and let you guys know. If anybody wants to go earlier, feel free, as well.
I have the exact same issue and I can confirm it only happens when there is weight in the back of the cab.
I would add one more point to yours:

- The humming cuts out if you push the break immediately after it starts.

It's really annoying

Bighorn93

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue and I can confirm it only happens when there is weight in the back of the cab.
I would add one more point to yours:

- The humming cuts out if you push the break immediately after it starts.

It's really annoying
I'm still having the issue and it gets really bad with weight in the back of the cab. Mine is starting to do it without weight in the back or a passenger. I found an ANC bypass plug I'm gonna try when it gets here. My dealer won't do anything either

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
There’s a TSB for it. Search the forums and you’ll find it. :)

BigHappy

Reaction score
There is a TSB for this problem. And YES!!! it does work. I just had it completed today and for the first time since I purchsed this truck. It was quiet. I could never get it to shut up if I had more than 3 people in the truck at any time. today, after the update. IT was blissfully silent. Do it now while you are still under warranty and it takes about 35 to 40 minutes to complete. most, if not all, dealers are aware of the issue now.

flashover32

Reaction score
2019 Dodge Ram with 18,160. Miles. Just took my first road trip. With no problems on way up to Alabama ,but once I got there is when the problems started. The Drone noise and vibration what's horrible ,and when truck would get up to about 1500 RPMs the shifting was horrible. On way home the drone noise would be intermittent. Now noise, and vibration, comes and goes. In shop as of 7/21/20

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 Dodge Ram with 18,160. Miles. Just took my first road trip. With no problems on way up to Alabama ,but once I got there is when the problems started. The Drone noise and vibration what's horrible ,and when truck would get up to about 1500 RPMs the shifting was horrible. On way home the drone noise would be intermittent. Now noise, and vibration, comes and goes. In shop as of 7/21/20

I am deeply sorry for the trouble, @flashover32. If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

NorthEdition19

Reaction score
I'm still having the issue and it gets really bad with weight in the back of the cab. Mine is starting to do it without weight in the back or a passenger. I found an ANC bypass plug I'm gonna try when it gets here. My dealer won't do anything either
Hey man any luck with the drone issue? Buddy of mine has it but only with passengers in the read seat?

kf702

Reaction score
Also, the related Active Tuned Mass Dampers on the frame.
I thought the same thing as it As happen to me a couple of times.

Those times I just stopped turned everything off shut off the vehicle And it went away when I started it up again

pvspmo

Reaction score
My 2020 has been in the shop for over 2 months now... tried everything from updates to replacing everything that is involved in the noise cancelling system. Ram now says they have techs/engineers from Alpine flying in next week to look at this thing. For those of you that got yours fixed, by a lottery ticket! Brand new truck I have driven as many weeks as it has been in the shop...

Wen

Reaction score
Hi All, I am taking my truck back to the dealer tomorrow to have this issue addressed. Its my travel rig, have an old truck I drive to work daily so I don't have many miles on it or experience this as much as some of you. But I just traveled 900 miles, 12 hours of listening to this hum cycle every 3-5 seconds. I can't get it to replicate at the dealership when I take it in so I've recorded it on my phone. On play back it's not as loud but at least I've captured something and they'll have to believe me. Speed doesn't matter as I've had it do it right when I start the truck, does it loudly 2 times right after it starts and then any speed, town, highways, even at 80 mph on the interstate. I've had it do it when I'm pulling into a parking space. I've tried putting the windows down for the ANC with no luck, turn off the tow/haul option, again no luck. As stated above it seems to do it most when I left off the gas pedal and to make it stop I it a little gas but to do that consistently I'll slowly gain speed again which isn't good on city streets. Sometimes the hum is quiet and other times it's so loud I want to put my hands over my ears as it's uncomfortable. I'm not expecting much luck at the dealership tomorrow. If any of you have a solution please share it on here. I really like this truck but sometimes that noise gets frustrating and even uncomfortable to my ears.

Wen

Reaction score
My 2020 has been in the shop for over 2 months now... tried everything from updates to replacing everything that is involved in the noise cancelling system. Ram now says they have techs/engineers from Alpine flying in next week to look at this thing. For those of you that got yours fixed, by a lottery ticket! Brand new truck I have driven as many weeks as it has been in the shop...

Please, please post if they fix this issue for you. I've had my truck a 1.5 years with no answer, no fix. I'm beginning to really not like Dodge and in fact this could be my last Dodge truck even though I like everything else about it except for the dealers.........

Scram1500

Reaction score
There are several bypass cables on the market. I got the harness in the link for my base 6 speaker non-Apline . My ANC is completely by-passed, no wires at all going to it

Rev98

Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum and was led this way by a Google search. I purchased a new 2019 1500 from my local dealership on Aug 24th. Yesterday while out on the interstate I experienced a loud humming sound. Almost like hitting the rumble strip on the side of the road. It would fade in and out. The truck had approx 2500 miles on it. The speed was 72mph at approx 1500rpm. When I would down shift from Drive to 8 the humming went away and would remain silent while running on "8/7th" gear. I have read a few of comments about dealers not working on them to correct the issue or installing a TSB which only lasted a short time. Has anyone had success with any permanent repairs from a dealership? Very frustrating having a new truck with issues.

Regards,

Pdeclay

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500. 55,000 miles and my truck makes the same humming noise. Comes and goes when it wants. My truck can go days without making a humming noise. It's more embarrassing then anything.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum and was led this way by a Google search. I purchased a new 2019 1500 from my local dealership on Aug 24th. Yesterday while out on the interstate I experienced a loud humming sound. Almost like hitting the rumble strip on the side of the road. It would fade in and out. The truck had approx 2500 miles on it. The speed was 72mph at approx 1500rpm. When I would down shift from Drive to 8 the humming went away and would remain silent while running on "8/7th" gear. I have read a few of comments about dealers not working on them to correct the issue or installing a TSB which only lasted a short time. Has anyone had success with any permanent repairs from a dealership? Very frustrating having a new truck with issues.

Regards,
I have a 2019 Ram 1500. 55,000 miles and my truck makes the same humming noise. Comes and goes when it wants. My truck can go days without making a humming noise. It's more embarrassing then anything.

I am deeply sorry for the frustration, @Rev98 & @Pdeclay. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate cases on your behalf so that both you and your dealers have further support through the service process.

Mark
RamCares

Rev98

Reaction score
I am deeply sorry for the frustration, @Rev98 & @Pdeclay. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate cases on your behalf so that both you and your dealers have further support through the service process.

Mark
RamCares
Mark/Customer Care Rep,

My wife will be taking the truck to the dealer tomorrow morning. I called the Dealership earlier in the day and spoke to a service writer. The writer said they were not aware of any mds issue or reported noise like described. I told them that is was a known issue that I had read on some of the boards online. They were oblivious. At less than 3k miles there shouldn't be any issues with the truck. I was giving Dodge/Ram another shot with this purchase and I hope that I will not be regretting it.

I will post after the visit to the dealer. If no resolve can be attained from the visit I am hoping that they can at least turn the MDS feature off in the system.

Regards,
Rev98

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread