5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intermittent humming noise and vibration

Erikka92

Reaction score
We just recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn. It just started making a loud ominous humming sound and vibration. It just started loud, no noise since we bought it. First initial thought was a bad wheel bearing, then our thought went to a bad transmission because we just had to have to the coolant flushed because the dealership mixed coolant and it was mud consistency in the coolant reservoir but everything turned out fine. Truck has about 50k miles on it. Makes the sound in all gears and it doesn't seem to matter if your coasting, accelerating, or Decelerating. It doesn't do it idling or reversing. Reading through these forums it seems to be a reoccurring problem with this particular year and no one has an answer for a fix or what the problem is. This is not giving us a lot of confidence in the brand as it's wasn't our first option but we thought it had great reviews, price was great, lower mileage, but now this issue. Please help. It did start when we loaded the bed and backseat with everything we are taking with us on our move if that helps... more weight causing the issue?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn. It just started making a loud ominous humming sound and vibration. It just started loud, no noise since we bought it. First initial thought was a bad wheel bearing, then our thought went to a bad transmission because we just had to have to the coolant flushed because the dealership mixed coolant and it was mud consistency in the coolant reservoir but everything turned out fine. Truck has about 50k miles on it. Makes the sound in all gears and it doesn't seem to matter if your coasting, accelerating, or Decelerating. It doesn't do it idling or reversing. Reading through these forums it seems to be a reoccurring problem with this particular year and no one has an answer for a fix or what the problem is. This is not giving us a lot of confidence in the brand as it's wasn't our first option but we thought it had great reviews, price was great, lower mileage, but now this issue. Please help. It did start when we loaded the bed and backseat with everything we are taking with us on our move if that helps... more weight causing the issue?
I would start with the ANC module. I had this issue when I first got my truck over three years ago. It would intermittently make a horrible humming sound that could be described as a whale moaning. I brought to the dealer and they updated the ANC module firmware and it hasn’t occurred since. Good luck.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 Laramie did this once, is it coming from the back seat area? I believe it’s the ANC! But you could have another issues, these new rams have lots of issues! Good luck!

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would start with the ANC module. I had this issue when I first got my truck over three years ago. It would intermittently make a horrible humming sound that could be described as a whale moaning. I brought to the dealer and they updated the ANC module firmware and it hasn’t occurred since. Good luck.

It easy to unplug the ANC under the driver seat.....unplug it....see if noice goes away.....if it does......plug her back in and do as Moose says. Good luck.

erelax13

Reaction score
Same issue with my truck. Bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn about 3 months ago and have been hearing the noise on and off since purchase. Took a 5 hour drive last weekend and it was unbearable. Just constant on/off moaning. We pulled into my daughters apartment and she was like "what's wrong with your truck?" There is no consistency to the noise.

tquirarte

Reaction score
I’ve been having this same issue about a month after my purchase of a 2019 Ram 1500 2wd Bighorn. The vibration and humming noise only occurs at speeds 20 - 40 mph . I replaced my exhaust with an aftermarket Flowmaster but noise continues. I installed a leveling kit but noise continues. It appears to affect the driver side more . What else should i check?
I have had a similar issue with my 2019 4x4 RAM 1500 forever! I only notice the noise when there are passengers in the back seat. The noise appears to be primarily behind the driver seat area. I have brought it in a few times already and RAM could not identify the problem and denies any compaints nationwide. I took it in today because my tailgate would not always open (stayed locked - another common problem I hear). I told the service rep that the only way to diagnose/hear the problem is to have 2-3 adults (based on weight?) to ride in the back to hear the noise. I know RAM is aware of this because there is a class action suit that is being filed for engine and transmission problems with vehicle (other year(s) as well). I am frustrated. Looking into joining the suit.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had a similar issue with my 2019 4x4 RAM 1500 forever! I only notice the noise when there are passengers in the back seat. The noise appears to be primarily behind the driver seat area. I have brought it in a few times already and RAM could not identify the problem and denies any compaints nationwide. I took it in today because my tailgate would not always open (stayed locked - another common problem I hear). I told the service rep that the only way to diagnose/hear the problem is to have 2-3 adults (based on weight?) to ride in the back to hear the noise. I know RAM is aware of this because there is a class action suit that is being filed for engine and transmission problems with vehicle (other year(s) as well). I am frustrated. Looking into joining the suit.
If you decide you'd like some additional assistance, please send us a direct message. We would be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Jako

Reaction score
It sound like the same problem I had. I loaded up containers with books and put them on the back seat to replicate the issue for the dealership . It was the ANC and fixed under warranty. Internet search on droning noise and ANC will give you more information.

Attachments

• Ram TSB 08-056-19 ANC drone rumbling.png
    Ram TSB 08-056-19 ANC drone rumbling.png
    383.9 KB · Views: 14

tquirarte

Reaction score
It sound like the same problem I had. I loaded up containers with books and put them on the back seat to replicate the issue for the dealership . It was the ANC and fixed under warranty. Internet search on droning noise and ANC will give you more information.
Thank you! I will use this information in my next communication with the dealer!

tquirarte

Reaction score
If you decide you'd like some additional assistance, please send us a direct message. We would be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares
How do i send you a direct message? Can you message me wth that information? I checked back into this site to get my narrative together as I am sending a message to my local dealership.

Thank you.
Tony

RamCares

Reaction score
How do i send you a direct message? Can you message me wth that information? I checked back into this site to get my narrative together as I am sending a message to my local dealership.

Thank you.
Tony
Hi there!

You should be able to hover over our name and click the "Start Conversation" button, in order to send us a message!

Lex
Ram Cares

wvoice

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me, I look forward to seeing your next update. I am more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through the service process.

Mark
RamCares
I have a similar issue. I just bought a Ram, 2019 Big Horn, a week ago. It has 22 inch rims and aggressive all terrain tires. When i drove it, it of course had that aggressive tire drone. I loaded about 1500 pounds or more of my business stuff and I got this periodic, every 8 second cycle of humming. 3 seconds of hum and 5 seconds of no hum. It is a very loud hum that fills the cab and can be heard over the stero. When I unloaded all my gear, and drove home, the sound was gone. When I loaded everything back up on Sunday, the 8 second hum cycle was back. It only stopped when I went above 80 miles per hour. When I got home I removed about half the weight in the bed and cab, and the sound was gone. So this sounds only happens under load. Could this still be the active noise cancelling or is it something else?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a similar issue. I just bought a Ram, 2019 Big Horn, a week ago. It has 22 inch rims and aggressive all terrain tires. When i drove it, it of course had that aggressive tire drone. I loaded about 1500 pounds or more of my business stuff and I got this periodic, every 8 second cycle of humming. 3 seconds of hum and 5 seconds of no hum. It is a very loud hum that fills the cab and can be heard over the stero. When I unloaded all my gear, and drove home, the sound was gone. When I loaded everything back up on Sunday, the 8 second hum cycle was back. It only stopped when I went above 80 miles per hour. When I got home I removed about half the weight in the bed and cab, and the sound was gone. So this sounds only happens under load. Could this still be the active noise cancelling or is it something else?
Have you double checked your payload capacity of your truck?
Are you sure of the amount of weight you are loading in? Have you actually weighed it?
22" rims reduce payload also. Is it 4x4?
It sounds like you are close to max capacity.
Write a full description of your truck.

wvoice

Reaction score
Have you double checked your payload capacity of your truck?
Are you sure of the amount of weight you are loading in? Have you actually weighed it?
22" rims reduce payload also. Is it 4x4?
It sounds like you are close to max capacity.
Write a full description of your truck.
It's a 5.7 l with the 3.92 differential. My last 2 rams had the same specs and no noise. I haven't even towed my camper with it yet. I have had the truck loaded with all my business stuff and pulled a 7200 lb dry weight camper with both my old trucks.

wvoice

Reaction score
It's a 5.7 l with the 3.92 differential. My last 2 rams had the same specs and no noise. I haven't even towed my camper with it yet. I have had the truck loaded with all my business stuff and pulled a 7200 lb dry weight camper with both my old trucks.
It is the exact same gear and this is a big horn and the other 2 were much lower models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online