5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intermittent humming noise and vibration

Edge

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased my beautiful black Ram Bighorn in May 2018 and to date have logged 5500 frustrating miles on it. It seems this truck is plagued with the familiar loud intermittent humming noise. One never can tell when it will rear it's ugly head. So far it has been in the shop 4 times and the service dept. has not yet been able to diagnose the problem. fortunately for me they have heard the awful annoying noise so they know that I am not crazy. Company created a case but after two weeks and no problems they dropped it. yesterday the noise and vibration returned. So far dealership has replaced the cats and upgraded the transmission computer. neither have helped resolve the issue. Same old if it's not doing it when you come in we can't find the problem. Definitely having buyer remorse.
19,000 Miles on mine and just this morning started it up and gotthe same humming noisy vibrating sound. It's not on the outside. Almost hurts my ears inside it's so bad.

Edge

Reaction score
Our blacked out hemi ram has 2,600 mi on it and the drone sound started off/on while driving on the highway it was irritating,and bothered my fiancé,future mother inlaw and daughter.New truck alittle embarrassing were gonna take it to the dealer.
Agreed, irritating as heck!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I started my truck this afternoon and drove down the block with it, and it sounded like someone cut the cat off the truck. I turned around and went home, crawled under the truck and found the cat was still on it and the exhaust system looked perfect.

So I jumped back in the truck and drove it to my destination with what sounded like a leaky exhaust system with humming and rattling and a throaty down downshift. My child was complaining it was hurting his ears. I told him, I will need to take it to the dealer on Monday to have it looked at. When I jumped back in the truck, it was perfect again. I don't know what the issue could be.

The truck has 5,000 miles, I've owned it for about 6 months, and is a 2019 1500 RAM. Very concerning to say the least.
Thank you for reaching out to our team. If it would be of interest, we'd be happy to learn more details regarding your dealer's findings to determine how to best assist you at this point. Please follow up with us via private message when you can.
Rob
RamCares

embarrassed

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn Quad Cab with Hemi (no etorque)

I can get my humming to start every time with precision. Here are the steps:
- Put weight in the backseat and/or back of the cab
- Start driving and get RPMs between 1500 and 2000

That's it.

The sound isn't constant. It begins coming on from nothing, gradually increasing in intensity for a couple seconds, then suddenly cuts out. Wait about 10 more seconds in blissful quiet and then the gradual buildup begins again.

It's VERY reproducible.

- If the RPMs are below 1500 or above 2000, it never happens.
- If there isn't any weight in the back of the cab, it never happens.
- If the RPMs are between 1500 and 2000, but there's no weight in the back of the cab, it never happens.
- If there is weight in the back of the cab, but RPMs are below 1500 or above 2000, it never happens.
- It isn't MDS, because it happens even when accelerating.
- It isn't speed related, because it happens at at any speed (only dependent on RPM).
- The more weight in the back of the cab, the stronger the humming.
- The noise is loud enough to significantly bother rear passengers (and the embarrassed driver) such that they refuse to ride anymore.

It's possible this is also only a cold-weather issue. One commenter from Florida pointed that out, and I don't remember hearing it until summer ended. I won't know until the weather gets warm in Ohio again (watch for it to stop), and then cold again (watch for it to start back up).

A class-action lawsuit for pain and suffering seems like a good solution if they can't get this fixed. I'll check with lawyers later this summer and let you guys know. If anybody wants to go earlier, feel free, as well.

Bighorn93

Reaction score

That's it.

The sound isn't constant. It begins coming on from nothing, gradually increasing in intensity for a couple seconds, then suddenly cuts out. Wait about 10 more seconds in blissful quiet and then the gradual buildup begins again.

It's VERY reproducible.

- If the RPMs are between 1500 and 2000, but there's no weight in the back of the cab, it never happens.
- If there is weight in the back of the cab, but RPMs are below 1500 or above 2000, it never happens.
- It isn't speed related, because it happens at at any speed (only dependent on RPM).
- The noise is loud enough to significantly bother rear passengers (and the embarrassed driver) such that they refuse to ride anymore.

It's possible this is also only a cold-weather issue. One commenter from Florida pointed that out, and I don't remember hearing it until summer ended. I won't know until the weather gets warm in Ohio again (watch for it to stop), and then cold again (watch for it to start back up).

A class-action lawsuit for pain and suffering seems like a good solution if they can't get this fixed. I'll check with lawyers later this summer and let you guys know. If anybody wants to go earlier, feel free, as well.
I'm having the same thing spot on

RamCares

Reaction score

That's it.

It's VERY reproducible.

I'm having the same thing spot on

Hi @embarrassed - Would you mind following up with me via private message on your situation? I would like to learn more to determine how to best assist you at this point.

@Bighorn93 - Just had a chance to respond to your PM!

Mark
RamCares

Gtunit03

Reaction score
Hi Lydia, I also just experienced this tonight on my 2019 ram 1500. It’s a very concerning sound that is more pronounced as the truck shifts up or down. I would call it more of a “roar” or a pulsating hum than anything else. More pulsating than steady. This is the first I heard this since purchasing the truck in September. It almost feels like it’s pullimg back against the acceleration.

I have same humming Vibration

Dodge36

Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram classic it has 8059 miles on it and I get that vibration and a loud noise coming from the to I have brought it to the dealership four times now and they still have not been able to fix it

I have also been getting my check engine light on saying that my number five number three and number seven cylinder is not firing They already ripped right side of my truck apart and rebuild it two days later it does it again

Dodge36

Reaction score

That's it.

It's VERY reproducible.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2019 dodge ram classic it has 8059 miles on it and I get that vibration and a loud noise coming from the to I have brought it to the dealership four times now and they still have not been able to fix it

I have also been getting my check engine light on saying that my number five number three and number seven cylinder is not firing They already ripped right side of my truck apart and rebuild it two days later it does it again

Hi @Dodge36 - I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message to provide additional details so that we may determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Dodge36

Reaction score

That's it.

It's VERY reproducible.

Please let me know what happens with lawyers

johnnyimp

Reaction score
Interesting. I came here for the same issue we are having on both 19 Ram 1500 trucks we bought for the company. I drive one, and the first i heard it was around 8k miles on odometer, and now that i think about it, it was with a bunch of weight in the rear seat area as described above. I will see if i can replicate it. Sounds like loud whales or something.

RamCares

Reaction score
Interesting. I came here for the same issue we are having on both 19 Ram 1500 trucks we bought for the company. I drive one, and the first i heard it was around 8k miles on odometer, and now that i think about it, it was with a bunch of weight in the rear seat area as described above. I will see if i can replicate it. Sounds like loud whales or something.

Hi @johnnyimp - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if this is something you decide to address with your servicing dealer.

Mark
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
I am having the same issues with mine as well. kinda annoying

Please be sure to let us know via PM if you decide to address this with your dealer, @lyndo62. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Caram

Reaction score
Spoke with dealer and had same issue, after 8 times since October they believe they found the issue. May be the vibration dampener between the frame and the bed. There are 2 of them, one on the left and right side.

RamCares

Reaction score
Spoke with dealer and had same issue, after 8 times since October they believe they found the issue. May be the vibration dampener between the frame and the bed. There are 2 of them, one on the left and right side.

Please be sure to keep us updated, @Caram! If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, our team is always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Caram

Reaction score
Please be sure to keep us updated, @Caram! If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, our team is always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares
Replaced the vibration actuator sensor and no fix, truck still makes the same noise and am told it's normal and nothing they can do, never heard this noise on any other truck I've driven. Am pursuing ram to buy it back or replace.

Gtunit03

Reaction score
Replaced the vibration actuator sensor and no fix, truck still makes the same noise and am told it's normal and nothing they can do, never heard this noise on any other truck I've driven. Am pursuing ram to buy it back or replace.
They should do a recall fix it’s an annoying noise for our new trucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online