5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

intermittent humming noise and vibration

Benji80

Reaction score
If it's the anc there is an aftermarket wiring harness that will bypass it. You can also pull the pins from the harness to the microphones (which I did and it worked) someone else on here did a write up with pictures and instructions on how to do it

pjschwartz

Reaction score
I still have this same issue with this humming/vibrating in my truck. Happens when I coast around 60-62 mph as well as at lower speeds. Embarrassing to take anyone for a ride as it always happens. I should be proud to drive people around in my $50k truck!!!

Is there a fix yet? What is going on Ram?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I still have this same issue with this humming/vibrating in my truck. Happens when I coast around 60-62 mph as well as at lower speeds. Embarrassing to take anyone for a ride as it always happens. I should be proud to drive people around in my $50k truck!!!

Is there a fix yet? What is going on Ram?

Hi pjschwartz, your sentiments are completely understandable and I do apologize for what you are experiencing. Would you mind following up with us via PM to provide further details? We would be happy to look into this further on our end to determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

stevier2987

Reaction score
I don’t understand we have a years worth of this issues with many owners all over the country and yet I haven’t read of one dealer fixing the problem.... has any dealers fixed something to make the sound go away?

Buysilverado

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn New Body Style Crew Cab 5.7L 4x2 and let me tell you something guys.....The dealership don't care and neither does Chrysler/Ram! Mine has been to 4 different dealerships across 2 states and 4 different towns totaling 9 visits. two of the four would not even go to take a ride in the truck with me! What a joke! So my truck makes a droning/humming noise when it is below 65 degrees outside. It happens at start up on a cold start when idling down, it happens when I am going 55mph and the truck slows down to about 49mph and downshifts. It will also do it at lower speeds and sometimes higher speeds as well. Most of the time this noise is accompanied by a vibration which can be felt in the passenger seat and the rear seat. It has been so bad before that my keys in the cup holder will vibrate and shake, plus my wife's sun glasses in the cup holders that are at the rear of my center console (We have a 7 month old baby so she rides back there a lot) will also vibrate and shake. This happens when it is around 65 degrees or below but if it is a warm sunny day or even a cooler clear sunny day it will not make the noice 9/10 times. The reason it don't happen on a cooler sunny day might sound crazy to some, but it is because I have a black Ram and in Florida even on a clear sunny 68 degree day it can feel warm and again the truck is black. I have a UConnect and gas milage issue also, which I believe the bad gas milage is a direct result of this problem I am having. I am talking about driving down the interstate on a flat road with no wind, doing 69mph and had already been for a few miles before resetting the gauge, and only getting 17mpg instead of the 22 that the sticker says. And I even have a tonneau cover which is supposed to improve gas milage by 3%-8%, yet I am getting 17.2mpg to be exact. I have audio recordings of the noise and video recordings of the poor gas milage as well as a couple videos of the UConnect messing up. All of that has gotten me nowhere at all. So after 9 visits and having my truck at the dealership for about 16-17 days worth and having another 20+ days where I was not able to drive it just in case it's not safe and the poor gas milage, here I am with the same issue. They replaced the "Active Noise Cancellation Module" and they have replaced one half of the muffler. The muffler on the Ram has two parts with each having a resonator, so why they didn't replace both sides is beyond my comprehension. When I took the truck to Blackburn in Vicksburg Mississippi over thanksgiving 2019, their tech was nice enough to go for a ride with me and he thought it was maybe my "MDS" because it felt like it and the noise is similar to that of when the MDS has been engaged, just a lot louder and longer lasting of a noise, and get this.....if I hit the "Tow Haul" button the sound and vibration goes away almost immediately! To bring things even more into perspective, I had Dayton Andrew's in Clearwater, FL and Dayton Andrew's in St. Petersburg FL not be willing to go for a ride with me at all. In fact at the Dayton Andrew's in St. Petersburg FL, their service director informed me that "I am not going for a ride and last time I checked I was still in charge here", I then replied "excuse me what did you just say? Can you repeat that please?" , to which he said again "Last time I checked I am in charge here". I almost lost it and only after I informed him that the nice lady with FCA that is over all the dealerships in my area (so his boss) informed me someone would go for a ride with me would he then change his tune real quick. "No thanks, I am good and I am just going to call her back and let her know what just happened" was my direct response to him. So this is why I have the name BuySilverado because that truck never gave me an issue and GM is real good about noticing something that needs to be recalled and getting it taken care of. So now my issue is with Suncoast Chrysler because even after two weeks ago when their shop foreman and another tech went for a ride with me, they A. Can't fix the issue and B. even after then both acknowledging that there is an issue, the service manager and service director say it is not a warrantable issue and it is happening because of the way I drive, and do you think either of them would go for a ride with me?.....Nope! Very sad and everything that they have put me and my kids through is simply disgusting to even talk about. I could keep going on and on about the horrible experience and customer service but I will end it here by saying DON'T BUY A RAM!!! Anyone please feel free to reach out to me as Chrysler has to fix these issues!

pjschwartz

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Bighorn New Body Style Crew Cab 5.7L 4x2 and let me tell you something guys.....The dealership don't care and neither does Chrysler/Ram! Mine has been to 4 different dealerships across 2 states and 4 different towns totaling 9 visits. two of the four would not even go to take a ride in the truck with me! What a joke! So my truck makes a droning/humming noise when it is below 65 degrees outside. It happens at start up on a cold start when idling down, it happens when I am going 55mph and the truck slows down to about 49mph and downshifts. It will also do it at lower speeds and sometimes higher speeds as well. Most of the time this noise is accompanied by a vibration which can be felt in the passenger seat and the rear seat. It has been so bad before that my keys in the cup holder will vibrate and shake, plus my wife's sun glasses in the cup holders that are at the rear of my center console (We have a 7 month old baby so she rides back there a lot) will also vibrate and shake. This happens when it is around 65 degrees or below but if it is a warm sunny day or even a cooler clear sunny day it will not make the noice 9/10 times. The reason it don't happen on a cooler sunny day might sound crazy to some, but it is because I have a black Ram and in Florida even on a clear sunny 68 degree day it can feel warm and again the truck is black. I have a UConnect and gas milage issue also, which I believe the bad gas milage is a direct result of this problem I am having. I am talking about driving down the interstate on a flat road with no wind, doing 69mph and had already been for a few miles before resetting the gauge, and only getting 17mpg instead of the 22 that the sticker says. And I even have a tonneau cover which is supposed to improve gas milage by 3%-8%, yet I am getting 17.2mpg to be exact. I have audio recordings of the noise and video recordings of the poor gas milage as well as a couple videos of the UConnect messing up. All of that has gotten me nowhere at all. So after 9 visits and having my truck at the dealership for about 16-17 days worth and having another 20+ days where I was not able to drive it just in case it's not safe and the poor gas milage, here I am with the same issue. They replaced the "Active Noise Cancellation Module" and they have replaced one half of the muffler. The muffler on the Ram has two parts with each having a resonator, so why they didn't replace both sides is beyond my comprehension. When I took the truck to Blackburn in Vicksburg Mississippi over thanksgiving 2019, their tech was nice enough to go for a ride with me and he thought it was maybe my "MDS" because it felt like it and the noise is similar to that of when the MDS has been engaged, just a lot louder and longer lasting of a noise, and get this.....if I hit the "Tow Haul" button the sound and vibration goes away almost immediately! To bring things even more into perspective, I had Dayton Andrew's in Clearwater, FL and Dayton Andrew's in St. Petersburg FL not be willing to go for a ride with me at all. In fact at the Dayton Andrew's in St. Petersburg FL, their service director informed me that "I am not going for a ride and last time I checked I was still in charge here", I then replied "excuse me what did you just say? Can you repeat that please?" , to which he said again "Last time I checked I am in charge here". I almost lost it and only after I informed him that the nice lady with FCA that is over all the dealerships in my area (so his boss) informed me someone would go for a ride with me would he then change his tune real quick. "No thanks, I am good and I am just going to call her back and let her know what just happened" was my direct response to him. So this is why I have the name BuySilverado because that truck never gave me an issue and GM is real good about noticing something that needs to be recalled and getting it taken care of. So now my issue is with Suncoast Chrysler because even after two weeks ago when their shop foreman and another tech went for a ride with me, they A. Can't fix the issue and B. even after then both acknowledging that there is an issue, the service manager and service director say it is not a warrantable issue and it is happening because of the way I drive, and do you think either of them would go for a ride with me?.....Nope! Very sad and everything that they have put me and my kids through is simply disgusting to even talk about. I could keep going on and on about the horrible experience and customer service but I will end it here by saying DON'T BUY A RAM!!! Anyone please feel free to reach out to me as Chrysler has to fix these issues!
This the most damning post I have ever seen on here, and I believe it to be all true because I am experiencing the same issues!

I seriously think Ram/FCA has a major lawsuit on there hands especially since you have people like this gentleman documenting and recording the stated issues and putting in writing his many attempts, with grief included, to work with multiple dealers in several states and FCA to get it fixed. When you have this many people over the corse of more than a year, buying $45k-$65k brand new trucks, and all having the same issues with no fix, you are going to see many that take steps to garner legal advice and get it fixed that way. If someone has the money to buy one of these trucks, they are going to be able to work with an attorney. So sad, and it goes without saying the many customers Ram must be losing because of this.

RobUtzinger

Reaction score
Not a tire pressure issue... 40lbs in all 4 tires and its happening just as if not more often... always during deceleration with foot off the gas. press gas down engine accelerates and sound goes away... What is this I am reading about MDS? guess I better pull out the ol manual.

Thanks

Bighorn93

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals I'm new here. I found this forum tonight when I had that awful humming vibration in my 2019 ram 1500 bighorn quad cab 4x4. After alot of reading and researching I figured out that I was having the awful hell hound screaming noise in my truck when I had someone in the backseat. I've noticed it very lightly when having my nephew in the back seat but he is only 45 pounds. With an adult in the backseat it's crazy how intense the sound was. I believe it's the active noise control module(amplifier). After dropping off my passengers the noise went away totally. Soon as I put someone back in the backseat it started again. Maybe this helps

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals I'm new here. I found this forum tonight when I had that awful humming vibration in my 2019 ram 1500 bighorn quad cab 4x4. After alot of reading and researching I figured out that I was having the awful hell hound screaming noise in my truck when I had someone in the backseat. I've noticed it very lightly when having my nephew in the back seat but he is only 45 pounds. With an adult in the backseat it's crazy how intense the sound was. I believe it's the active noise control module(amplifier). After dropping off my passengers the noise went away totally. Soon as I put someone back in the backseat it started again. Maybe this helps

Hi Bighorn93,

I certainly understand your concern here, and I want you to know that our team is just a private message away for additional support if you end up needing to address this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Dmfrench

Reaction score
One more new Ram owner to add to this list.

I bought a new Ram in October of 2019 and have had the issue since about a month in. I have only heard the noise/vibration four times but it is very evident and very concerning especially for a truck with under 9,000 total miles on it. I buy a new truck every 18months due to my travel for work and this is my first Dodge Ram. This is not a threat but I can honestly say this is BAD first impression. Barring any excellent rebound of support and correction of this issue, that appears to be widespread and documented, it looks like back to Toyota for me in the very near future. I too am having a some issues with the radio and Uconnect as mentioned in some of these posts as well.

I have not yet had the dealership look into this, one because I can't seem to replicate the issue when I take it up there, and two I travel in this truck regularly for work and can't be without a vehicle for any significant duration.

I buy a new truck every 18months for the very reason I don't want to put the money or the time into an asset that is depreciating as rapidly as vehicles do these days. Very frustrating to see so may people with the same issue and not a single person with a clear solution from Ram.

RamCares

Reaction score
One more new Ram owner to add to this list.

I bought a new Ram in October of 2019 and have had the issue since about a month in. I have only heard the noise/vibration four times but it is very evident and very concerning especially for a truck with under 9,000 total miles on it. I buy a new truck every 18months due to my travel for work and this is my first Dodge Ram. This is not a threat but I can honestly say this is BAD first impression. Barring any excellent rebound of support and correction of this issue, that appears to be widespread and documented, it looks like back to Toyota for me in the very near future. I too am having a some issues with the radio and Uconnect as mentioned in some of these posts as well.

I have not yet had the dealership look into this, one because I can't seem to replicate the issue when I take it up there, and two I travel in this truck regularly for work and can't be without a vehicle for any significant duration.

I buy a new truck every 18months for the very reason I don't want to put the money or the time into an asset that is depreciating as rapidly as vehicles do these days. Very frustrating to see so may people with the same issue and not a single person with a clear solution from Ram.

Dmfrench, I sincerely regret to hear of the frustration that has been associated with your experience. If you are willing to work with your dealer on this, I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to provide you with an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Reaction score
Mine started making the noise this evening... I’ve been a loyal Dodge/Ram owner since 1999. I just bought this new 2019 in January, and I’m already considering trading for a new brand.
When I bought the truck I started reading on this forum and learned about the rear cab water leak. So I checked it... not wet but obvious water stains that I didn’t notice when I bought it! Then weird noises... I’m not impressed with ram right now.

MRGUD

Reaction score
Is the sound you guys are describing like this:

Thanks

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Mine started making the noise this evening... I’ve been a loyal Dodge/Ram owner since 1999. I just bought this new 2019 in January, and I’m already considering trading for a new brand.
When I bought the truck I started reading on this forum and learned about the rear cab water leak. So I checked it... not wet but obvious water stains that I didn’t notice when I bought it! Then weird noises... I’m not impressed with ram right now.

Hi Fishingfoolemjak, I am very sorry to hear your sentiments expressed here. Please know that our team here is just a private message away and we are more than happy to provide you with support if you are able to work with your dealer on these concerns.

Mark
RamCares

MRGUD

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry for being pain in the butt, could somebody please if the sound you guys are describing here in this thread is the same sound / issue described in the video(s) i posted in my previous post on this same page?

Thank you!

tigolite

Reaction score
I started my truck this afternoon and drove down the block with it, and it sounded like someone cut the cat off the truck. I turned around and went home, crawled under the truck and found the cat was still on it and the exhaust system looked perfect.

So I jumped back in the truck and drove it to my destination with what sounded like a leaky exhaust system with humming and rattling and a throaty down downshift. My child was complaining it was hurting his ears. I told him, I will need to take it to the dealer on Monday to have it looked at. When I jumped back in the truck, it was perfect again. I don't know what the issue could be.

The truck has 5,000 miles, I've owned it for about 6 months, and is a 2019 1500 RAM. Very concerning to say the least.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I started my truck this afternoon and drove down the block with it, and it sounded like someone cut the cat off the truck. I turned around and went home, crawled under the truck and found the cat was still on it and the exhaust system looked perfect.

So I jumped back in the truck and drove it to my destination with what sounded like a leaky exhaust system with humming and rattling and a throaty down downshift. My child was complaining it was hurting his ears. I told him, I will need to take it to the dealer on Monday to have it looked at. When I jumped back in the truck, it was perfect again. I don't know what the issue could be.

The truck has 5,000 miles, I've owned it for about 6 months, and is a 2019 1500 RAM. Very concerning to say the least.
Did you listen to it run from the outside? Sounds like a bad ATMM (based on previous threads), but only if the noise is heard when you’re inside the truck. If you’re hearing it when you’re outside of the truck, it’s something else.

tigolite

Reaction score
Did you listen to it run from the outside? Sounds like a bad ATMM (based on previous threads), but only if the noise is heard when you’re inside the truck. If you’re hearing it when you’re outside of the truck, it’s something else.

I'm not sure. I was worried someone vandalized my truck overnight at that moment, and when I verified the exhaust system was still in tact I jumped back in the truck as I was running late. This is the first time I've ever heard this. It sounded like a sh*tty old exhaust system on my 15 mile drive. It was weird to start the truck back up and it to be normal again.

Users who are viewing this thread