5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Reaction score
Yea they’re all new , and what exactly do you mean by try again?

For more information, when I do static ECU initialization.. it says no coding .

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve done it multiple times . The codes are persisting.

Static ECU (no coding found)
Longitudinal Calibration (fails)
Clear the codes and cycle ignition (I’ve done this with the car engine off but in the run position , with engine on, and immediate restarting of the engine .. letting it completely turn off.)
And then rolling codes initially fails saying it can’t do it in active diagnostic but when I disconnect and reconnect it lets me process it .

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve done it multiple times . The codes are persisting.

Static ECU (no coding found)
Longitudinal Calibration (fails)
Clear the codes and cycle ignition (I’ve done this with the car engine off but in the run position , with engine on, and immediate restarting of the engine .. letting it completely turn off.)
And then rolling codes initially fails saying it can’t do it in active diagnostic but when I disconnect and reconnect it lets me process it .
Several people that have done it recently have been thrown into Plant mode and it won’t let you do the Calibration or it “fails” check to see if your ESC & EPB are in plant mode. If so take them out of plant mode and run through it again. That’s how I got mine to work when the Calibration kept failing to clear the last codes.

Reaction score
Okay now I just have it to where the FCW + system is not working . There is no errors in either the abs or the body computer , any ideas?

It's only the collision mitigation light and the forward collision warning lights that are on .

CNC99

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that all 2023s have the DASM unit. At least on the Laramie? I am toying with the idea of trading my 2020 for a new 23. But I really would like adaptive cruise and the DASM unit has been the biggest thing holding me back from this project. So if it’s true that all the 23s have them then I won’t be as picky about finding a 23 with adaptive cruise from the factory.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that all 2023s have the DASM unit. At least on the Laramie? I am toying with the idea of trading my 2020 for a new 23. But I really would like adaptive cruise and the DASM unit has been the biggest thing holding me back from this project. So if it’s true that all the 23s have them then I won’t be as picky about finding a 23 with adaptive cruise from the factory.
Yes, if it has FCW, it has a DASM. You probably will still need the ABS/HCU. And the steering wheel switch for sure. Then just some programming.

U212

Reaction score
Hi all, I was able to change out my abs and hcu everything is working. No faults. Been driving it for some time now. I do have two issues. First when I programed BCM, if I set cruise control present to no. Aeb comes unavailable, no fcw+, no acc or cruise, windshield wipers, auto high beams and no lka. So I have kept this setting on and set acc to stop and go. This is the only way I could get everything to work. The next issue is I have had acc for about 5 days now. While I was driving on the highway on Friday the entire system reset. Lka turned off acc turned off etc. I had to physically hit the lka button to turn the system back on. Any idea what could cause either of these issues.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hi all, I was able to change out my abs and hcu everything is working. No faults. Been driving it for some time now. I do have two issues. First when I programed BCM, if I set cruise control present to no. Aeb comes unavailable, no fcw+, no acc or cruise, windshield wipers, auto high beams and no lka. So I have kept this setting on and set acc to stop and go. This is the only way I could get everything to work. The next issue is I have had acc for about 5 days now. While I was driving on the highway on Friday the entire system reset. Lka turned off acc turned off etc. I had to physically hit the lka button to turn the system back on. Any idea what could cause either of these issues.
This can happen if the stability system kicks in or if it thinks it did. I've had it happen in rain, but it has done it for no apparent reason. But it happening for me is very low. And with the Comma, I use ACC all the time.

U212

Reaction score
This can happen if the stability system kicks in or if it thinks it did. I've had it happen in rain, but it has done it for no apparent reason. But it happening for me is very low. And with the Comma, I use ACC all the time.
For me I was going down a busy free way which was turning and going through hilly up and down areas. However is it a issue if cruise control present is set to on for me.

vincentw56

Reaction score
For me I was going down a busy free way which was turning and going through hilly up and down areas. However is it a issue if cruise control present is set to on for me.
That I cannot answer. I am not sure why it won't let you turn it off.

ncswd1977

Reaction score
Installed the adaptive cruise control switch in a 2021 that already had the correct DASM with radar. Used AlphOBD with a bypassed cable to set cruise control to no and type of adaptive cruise control to yes with stop and go. Was prompted by the truck to wipe the radar sensor, which I did, and everything looked like it was going to work. Turned off the ignition, waited for the ecu to turn off, then turn the ignition back to run. I now have an error message on the dash the says forward collision detection is off, cruise control and adaptive cruise control is disabled, and service is required. Set everything back, I get no warnings, but cruise control will not work. Anyone have any recommendations?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Installed the adaptive cruise control switch in a 2021 that already had the correct DASM with radar. Used AlphOBD with a bypassed cable to set cruise control to no and type of adaptive cruise control to yes with stop and go. Was prompted by the truck to wipe the radar sensor, which I did, and everything looked like it was going to work. Turned off the ignition, waited for the ecu to turn off, then turn the ignition back to run. I now have an error message on the dash the says forward collision detection is off, cruise control and adaptive cruise control is disabled, and service is required. Set everything back, I get no warnings, but cruise control will not work. Anyone have any recommendations?
Did you replace the ABS/HCU?

Reaction score
You need the correct ABS and HCU

U212

Reaction score
Looks like additionally to not being able to set cruise control present: No. If I use traction control switch to turn off traction, aeb becomes unavailable.

U212

Reaction score
After resetting ECU I was finally able to set cruise control present: NO. However still can't figure out what's going on with traction control switch causing aeb to turn off with traction.

Reaction score
After resetting ECU I was finally able to set cruise control present: NO. However still can't figure out what's going on with traction control switch causing aeb to turn off with traction.
Do you remember what options you turned on/off. It should just be cruise control off and type of ACC.

I wiped it to factory when I continuously got errors, then I changed those two option ^^ and I had a automatic emergency braking error. All I did was turn off the vehicle and let it turn off completely (about 2 minutes), and turned it on. All errors went away at that point.

However another way that you can try is to do ABS initialization procedures. Which I mentioned earlier , I feel like it can be quite finicky. So it may just take a few tries.

The interesting thing all these errors have the ABS system in common , so I wonder if it's just the abs module and the BCM having a difficult time communicating . Also, you said your wipers turn off which makes me think the DASM is possibly erroring out.

Last edited:

U212

Reaction score
Do you remember what options you turned on/off. It should just be cruise control off and type of ACC.

I wiped it to factory when I continuously got errors, then I changed those two option ^^ and I had a automatic emergency braking error. All I did was turn off the vehicle and let it turn off completely (about 2 minutes), and turned it on. All errors went away at that point.

However another way that you can try is to do ABS initialization procedures. Which I mentioned earlier , I feel like it can be quite finicky. So it may just take a few tries.

The interesting thing all these errors have the ABS system in common , so I wonder if it's just the abs module and the BCM having a difficult time communicating . Also, you said your wipers turn off which makes me think the DASM is possibly erroring out.
Everything works I was able to turn off cruise control present. It's just now if I turn off traction control with the switch it turns of aeb along with it. I've had everything working for over a week. Just with these two glitches/issues.

U212

Reaction score
I will go ahead and try abs initialization when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread