5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Cmassey31099

Reaction score
I have a 21 Rebel that has FCW+ and it came with rain sensitive wipers, I believe this means I have the DASM. I already configured my BCM to add auto high beams. I swapped out my 8.4 already for the 12 but I don’t have the buttons for lane keep or anything. Am I able to just add ACC itself? I don’t want to add Lane Keep yet as I may swap to UC5 in the future and would wait until then to get the screen with the lane keep button etc. Really would like to only add ACC just for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 21 Rebel that has FCW+ and it came with rain sensitive wipers, I believe this means I have the DASM. I already configured my BCM to add auto high beams. I swapped out my 8.4 already for the 12 but I don’t have the buttons for lane keep or anything. Am I able to just add ACC itself? I don’t want to add Lane Keep yet as I may swap to UC5 in the future and would wait until then to get the screen with the lane keep button etc. Really would like to only add ACC just for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have FCW, you have a DASM. All this information is in this thread. You will need the ABS, HCU, and steering wheel switch.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well @TheLegend was right and I made a liar out of myself.
Apparently my memory isn't great enough to remember more than a couple hours.
Once I unplugged the Comma I was able to use regular cruise control again.
Thanks for the help.
Glad I can be of assistance! Glad you got it worked out!! 🤝

U212

Reaction score
Took to dealer ship for 25k service maintenance and had explained to the rep that I know personally about the traction control turning off aeb when flicking the switch. They kept the truck for 5 days and could not figure out what was causing the problem. They took it to higher-ups and they just went ahead and said we can't fix it since aftermarket. If anyone has an idea what could be causing this, please inform.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Took to dealer ship for 25k service maintenance and had explained to the rep that I know personally about the traction control turning off aeb when flicking the switch. They kept the truck for 5 days and could not figure out what was causing the problem. They took it to higher-ups and they just went ahead and said we can't fix it since aftermarket. If anyone has an idea what could be causing this, please inform.
What is aeb? And I'm curious as to why you are turning off traction control.

U212

Reaction score
What is aeb? And I'm curious as to why you are turning off traction control.
It's is the automatic emergency braking system for forward collusion warning plus. I turn off traction when I am wanting to have some fun. It's not really a problem just an annoyance. Everything works as it should except the traction control button turning off aeb with it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It's is the automatic emergency braking system for forward collusion warning plus. I turn off traction when I am wanting to have some fun. It's not really a problem just an annoyance. Everything works as it should except the traction control button turning off aeb with it.
What is the message you get? I'll have to try it on mine and see. I don't typically turn off traction control.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Traction turned off after that aeb is unavailable with the collision yellow off icon on.
Just verified mine doesn't turn it off. There must be a setting not right in AlfaODB.

U212

Reaction score
Just verified mine doesn't turn it off. There must be a setting not right in AlfaODB.
Looked through all I could, could not find anything that could cause this issue. What I have realized though the switch isn't turning off traction by itself with collision. It's turning of the entire electronic stability control system itself which might be what is causing collusion to turn off too. Last resort I can go ahead and have dealer flash and just turn alfa obd settings back on after. I believe a few others are having this same issue but do not find it concerning since most users don't turn off traction.

cwatts10

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a 2024 Ram 1500 Big Horn night edition, 5.7 etorque. I am interested in installing ACC in it and was curious if anyone can confirm if I need a HCU and ABS or not.
Here are the packages my truck has:
-Level B Equipment Group (12 inch screen)
-Level 1 Safety Group
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic-Dimming Rear-View Mirror
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • Pedestrian Emergency Braking
-Night Edition Package
-Park Sense Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
-Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection

It basically has all the system except adaptive cruise control.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a 2024 Ram 1500 Big Horn night edition, 5.7 etorque. I am interested in installing ACC in it and was curious if anyone can confirm if I need a HCU and ABS or not.
Here are the packages my truck has:
-Level B Equipment Group (12 inch screen)
-Level 1 Safety Group
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic-Dimming Rear-View Mirror
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus
  • Lane Keep Assist
  • Pedestrian Emergency Braking
-Night Edition Package
-Park Sense Front and Rear Park-Assist with Stop
-Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection

It basically has all the system except adaptive cruise control.
Yes. Every single Ram 1500 DT truck THAT IS NOT A TRX will not come with the correct abs and HCU for adaptive cruise if it was not factory equipped with it.

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
Hello! I have been following this thread for awhile and have honestly read and re-read the entirety of this to start making these changes. Recently, I found a guy on Facebook in a Ram page that I am in that has the center stack needed for LKA and Park assist. I am to say the least cautious buying from someone I don't know on a social media page but this person has lots of "vouches" and people that he has sold to. He is also pretty knowledgeable as in it sounds like he has read this thread like I have lol the price for the center stack(s) is fair I would say and I am considering it for my 2023 Laramie. From what I have gathered here I just need the center stack with the buttons and an alfa change and I should be good I believe. Is there anything that I should be looking out for when buying online? I would need a Uconnect 5 radio correct? would a 2022 radio work as well or do I need specifically a center stack out of a 2023? Do I need a code to change them out? and should I be worried about updates or getting a faulty unit? Any information would be helpful. I really want to do these changes and I had planned to do ACC first but when I seen these I though I might change gears. Thx!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hello! I have been following this thread for awhile and have honestly read and re-read the entirety of this to start making these changes. Recently, I found a guy on Facebook in a Ram page that I am in that has the center stack needed for LKA and Park assist. I am to say the least cautious buying from someone I don't know on a social media page but this person has lots of "vouches" and people that he has sold to. He is also pretty knowledgeable as in it sounds like he has read this thread like I have lol the price for the center stack(s) is fair I would say and I am considering it for my 2023 Laramie. From what I have gathered here I just need the center stack with the buttons and an alfa change and I should be good I believe. Is there anything that I should be looking out for when buying online? I would need a Uconnect 5 radio correct? would a 2022 radio work as well or do I need specifically a center stack out of a 2023? Do I need a code to change them out? and should I be worried about updates or getting a faulty unit? Any information would be helpful. I really want to do these changes and I had planned to do ACC first but when I seen these I though I might change gears. Thx!
Pretty simple. If you have UC5, you need UC5. If you have UC4, you need UC4. It doesn't matter what year. If you want to go from UC4 to UC5, you will need additional things than just the screen.

Mitch_308

Reaction score
Long time lurker, just joined. Reading through all the posts on this thread and I appreciate all the hard work and trial and error that gave everyone answers and solutions to various questions/curiosities.

My wife was saying she wished she had lane keep assist (Hyundai’s Lanesense) on the Ram like we do on our Hyundai Elantra and I said we could, at a price and a new screen with the button. That was shot down but I got thinking about how I added heated mirrors to my previous truck (2016) F150 XLT that didn’t have them.

Wires were already there but no physical button. Added the feature via forscan (alfaobd for fords), de-pinned the proper wire and added my own switch. Worked great and hid the switch so it wasn’t an eyesore. Is it possible to track down the wire that leads to the back of the screen for the switch and add a momentary switch to it and enable lanesense? If I read it right, it’s just a signal to the BCM that it’s waiting for it to turn on?

If not, do you think it’s feasible that since it remembers the last on/off input at key off, that someone with the button could swap screens with a non button screen and enable lanesense via the actual button. Then return the old screen and never switch it off?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Long time lurker, just joined. Reading through all the posts on this thread and I appreciate all the hard work and trial and error that gave everyone answers and solutions to various questions/curiosities.

My wife was saying she wished she had lane keep assist (Hyundai’s Lanesense) on the Ram like we do on our Hyundai Elantra and I said we could, at a price and a new screen with the button. That was shot down but I got thinking about how I added heated mirrors to my previous truck (2016) F150 XLT that didn’t have them.

Wires were already there but no physical button. Added the feature via forscan (alfaobd for fords), de-pinned the proper wire and added my own switch. Worked great and hid the switch so it wasn’t an eyesore. Is it possible to track down the wire that leads to the back of the screen for the switch and add a momentary switch to it and enable lanesense? If I read it right, it’s just a signal to the BCM that it’s waiting for it to turn on?

If not, do you think it’s feasible that since it remembers the last on/off input at key off, that someone with the button could swap screens with a non button screen and enable lanesense via the actual button. Then return the old screen and never switch it off?
Well, you haven't told us your vehicle information so we don't even know if you have all the other required items. But no, you can't do what you asked. You need a new screen with the physical button.

Mitch_308

Reaction score
Well, you haven't told us your vehicle information so we don't even know if you have all the other required items. But no, you can't do what you asked. You need a new screen with the physical button.
Yea I have everything else needed for it, 22 Ram Sport, turned on lanesense and it’s in the cluster menu as well as the sensitivity settings on the 12” screen. Just like everyone else has experienced, it says “lanesense off” because of the damn physical button and it bugs me that’s the only thing in the way. Wasn’t expecting it to magically work but was already hooked up to change my DRL so I made the change.

Reason I brought it up is the simplicity in wire harnesses to expedite production on the line. I keep thinking that it would have the wire or something somewhere just waiting for an input. The integrated trailer brake controller wiring on every truck built regardless of trim level or options and it being tucked away waiting for the module/button is the example I’m getting at.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yea I have everything else needed for it, 22 Ram Sport, turned on lanesense and it’s in the cluster menu as well as the sensitivity settings on the 12” screen. Just like everyone else has experienced, it says “lanesense off” because of the damn physical button and it bugs me that’s the only thing in the way. Wasn’t expecting it to magically work but was already hooked up to change my DRL so I made the change.

Reason I brought it up is the simplicity in wire harnesses to expedite production on the line. I keep thinking that it would have the wire or something somewhere just waiting for an input. The integrated trailer brake controller wiring on every truck built regardless of trim level or options and it being tucked away waiting for the module/button is the example I’m getting at.
It's not a switch like you think. It communicates through the canbus. There is nothing to "wire up" or "jumper".

Mitch_308

Reaction score
It's not a switch like you think. It communicates through the canbus. There is nothing to "wire up" or "jumper".
Alright I can understand it better now. Hard pill to swallow when turning the heated steering wheel and seats on/off is a soft key on the screen and lanesense is a physical button. Just out of reach for this guy. Thanks for the clarification on the train of thought too.

Users who are viewing this thread