5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

jsimon26

Reaction score
Ok this thread is way too long to look for the specific answer I’m looking for. I read somewhere that if our trucks are equipped with “Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus” from factory then all we need to add ACC is the switch and program with AlfaOBD. Any truth to this?

Last edited:

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok this thread is way too long to look for the specific answer I’m looking for. I read somewhere that if our trucks are equipped with “Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus” from factory then all we need to add ACC is the switch and program with AlfaOBD. Any truth to this?
If you have TRX. If not then you'll need new ABS and HCU and switch.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have TRX. If not then you'll need new ABS and HCU and switch.
Is there a way to check just on the off chance Ram did that same thing later down the line. Probably a long shot, but as weird as the 2022 model year build has been I would not discount anything.

Caltex19

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: ACC Guide Full (3).pdf
Thanks for this information! I got my parts from MOPAR OEM parts for my upgrade $700 total and it worked awesome my 2021 bighorn had lane keep and i installed a new abs,moduel,and switch took me a day and I'm up and running no trip to the dealer needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3105 (1).jpg
    IMG_3105 (1).jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 92

Necrosand

Reaction score
Anyone been successful adding auto park to their TRX? I'm having a real bear of a time making it work. Getting vehicle line mismatch from the Parktronics module after following the steps that have been successful for other non-TRX owners. Thanks in advance!

jsimon26

Reaction score
Is there a way to check just on the off chance Ram did that same thing later down the line. Probably a long shot, but as weird as the 2022 model year build has been I would not discount anything.
I’m wondering the same since I have a 22 as well

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Same thing I'd like to know. My truck came with rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, FCW, blind spot monitoring, etc. etc. but I don't have ACC and I'd like to have ACC. How hard is it to add just the ACC feature?

maxmammele

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Big Horn with the Level 1 Safety Package. That’s FCW+ with pedestrian detection and braking, park assist front and rear with braking, and lane keep assist. The 2022 RAMs have the capability to do ACC, however you must install a new HCU, ABS module, and steering wheel switch. I was able to get it all working and functional. Until you get the three parts of the puzzle installed, many functions of your truck will not communicate to each other and therefore will be non-functional (FCW, park sensors, lane keep, etc.) however the truck will be drivable. My suggestion is to get all three parts in your possession (all of my parts were OEM new MOPAR parts so I can’t speak for anything used) and then install everything at once. The installation of the switch, ABS module and HCU don’t take very long, and isn’t very difficult. However if you are unaware of the process to completely bleed your brakes (both manually and through the AlfaOBD program) then that process and then the programming the truck’s computer with AlfaOBD will be the most time consuming and tedious. Literally read the guide from the beginning of this thread.

It took me about 2 months because it was very difficult finding the ABS module and HCU to get them from a MOPAR parts supplier that had them in stock. I would suggest calling them and asking if they actually do have them in stock, don’t rely on the website listing information for inventory.

It is absolutely 100% worth the time and effort it takes to install this option in your truck. I have never had a vehicle that has been new enough to have this feature, and honestly knowing that you were able to personally do it yourself is really pretty freaking cool. I don’t know much about cars, but I know cars when they involve computers.

ArmyofOne

Reaction score
So, what exactly do i need to make this work? I have a 2019 ram Laramie sport Lvl 2. Options include:

Rain sensing wipers
Auto high beams
BSM/CPD
F/R park assist
Ready Alert Braking
12.1" screen w/nav, AA/CP

Im missing surround view cameras, ACC, LKA, self-parking.

The ONLY thing i care about adding from that is the ACC. If i have to add the other stuff to get the ACC, fine, but if i dont need to add it, then im good not having it.

So, what do i need to do?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, what exactly do i need to make this work? I have a 2019 ram Laramie sport Lvl 2. Options include:

Rain sensing wipers
Auto high beams
BSM/CPD
F/R park assist
Ready Alert Braking

The ONLY thing i care about adding from that is the ACC. If i have to add the other stuff to get the ACC, fine, but if i dont need to add it, then im good not having it.

The very first post tells you what you need.

ArmyofOne

Reaction score
The very first post tells you what you need.
I literally just looked at it. I didnt see where it specifically pointed out "if you have these options then you only need this".

I'm not an idiot, i did read before i asked, but I'm not really gonna sit here and read a 40 page thread, who has time for that?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I literally just looked at it. I didnt see where it specifically pointed out "if you have these options then you only need this".

I'm not an idiot, i did read before i asked, but I'm not really gonna sit here and read a 40 page thread, who has time for that?
There's a PDF file that tells you everything you need. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be.

vincentw56

Reaction score

To be fair, the only trucks that don't need everything are the newer trucks with FCW. The options you pointed out have nothing to do with FCW, ACC, etc. That's why I said in the first response that the first post tells you everything you need.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think post #2 is what you are looking for. If you have FCW you are halfway there. Like was mentioned in that post and the answer above, anything less and you need to purchase all the parts.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Rain sensing wipers
Auto high beams
BSM/CPD
F/R park assist
Ready Alert Braking

You need:
Steering wheel cruise switch
Windshield
DASM
Rear view mirror
Mirror covers
Mirror adapter
Abs module
HCU module
Mirror jumper harness 68358132AE (instead of building the DASM connector from scratch).

maxmammele

Reaction score
My posts are only in regards to model year 2022 1500 DT’s. My apologies if I added to any confusion…

However, and not trying to be a total **** here, you should read every word of every post in this thread. Yeah it’s 40+ pages, but there are a lot of posts that contribute to the information that is in the guide (posts 1&2), but the guide itself does not include the information that has been subsequently talked about in this thread.

I used to work at IKEA. I bring this up only because if anyone on here has ever tried to build IKEA furniture and gotten frustrated because they did something wrong (myself included) it was because we thought we knew how to build without following the directions in order. This thread (and guide) is literally like a book of IKEA directions. DO NOT TRY TO SKIP STEPS BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. The most valuable tips to gain from the 40+ pages of posts in this thread, is that pretty much everyone made mistakes by thinking they knew what the next step was, and then there’s a post asking for help to fix what they did wrong. In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana goes into the Grail
Chamber thinking he knows everything about how to succeed, but he almost fails because he isn’t humble enough to stop and think each puzzle through. Do not assume you know how to reach the Grail when it comes to adding ACC to your RAM. Please use all the tips and posts in this thread as your Grail Diary, so that you can “choose wisely” and ultimately achieve success.

lawmann8

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: ACC Guide Full (3).pdf
Outstanding effort and devotion to this project TDB. You are a credit to this forum and have shown your dedication to the Forum and its' members!

ebeker

Reaction score
hey guys , i read the entire 40 pages but cannot seem to understand my set up ,
I have DASM, i got auto high beam ,blind spot assist, front and rear parking assist with auto breaking but no acc, no fcw and no lka . So i am guessing i have to replace my parking sensor as well ?
I understood the rest of the list , new screen with hard keys and acc , abs module and hcu but as far as sensors i am not sure if i need new ones or not since i do not have fcw in my uconnect (12'').

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hey guys , i read the entire 40 pages but cannot seem to understand my set up ,
I have DASM, i got auto high beam ,blind spot assist, front and rear parking assist with auto breaking but no acc, no fcw and no lka . So i am guessing i have to replace my parking sensor as well ?
I understood the rest of the list , new screen with hard keys and acc , abs module and hcu but as far as sensors i am not sure if i need new ones or not since i do not have fcw in my uconnect (12'').
I think you need dasm with FCW, there is a camera which I think works together with ACC. Or you may have already but its not enabled. Somewhere in this forum there is picture of windshield how its supposed to look like with dasm or not. Parking and blind spot sensors are build into bumpers and tail lights and I don't think they are required for ACC but Im not sure 100%.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread