5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

tdb0021

Reaction score
hey guys , i read the entire 40 pages but cannot seem to understand my set up ,
I have DASM, i got auto high beam ,blind spot assist, front and rear parking assist with auto breaking but no acc, no fcw and no lka . So i am guessing i have to replace my parking sensor as well ?
I understood the rest of the list , new screen with hard keys and acc , abs module and hcu but as far as sensors i am not sure if i need new ones or not since i do not have fcw in my uconnect (12'').
So if you don’t have FCW, you don’t have a dasm. Sounds like you probably have a 2019 or early 2020 truck. I think fcw is standard after 2020, but i could be wrong. The auto high beam is using a camera made specifically for auto high beam in you case. With the dasm, it’s all combined, so that camera will be replaced if you do this installation. You will need to follow the original document pretty much exactly step by step in your case. Parking sensors or anything related to blind spot monitoring are not related to this installation at all, so you can leave those alone.

ebeker

Reaction score
So if you don’t have FCW, you don’t have a dasm. Sounds like you probably have a 2019 or early 2020 truck. I think fcw is standard after 2020, but i could be wrong. The auto high beam is using a camera made specifically for auto high beam in you case. With the dasm, it’s all combined, so that camera will be replaced if you do this installation. You will need to follow the original document pretty much exactly step by step in your case. Parking sensors or anything related to blind spot monitoring are not related to this installation at all, so you can leave those alone.
I have a big black box behind the rearview mirror ? That is not the DASM ?

ebeker

Reaction score
Alright I need the damn DASM too then i was kind of excited that i had the DASM already , at this point i might just trade mine in to Limited, dealer wants 8K difference for the loaded Limited.

grazsrootz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this voids the factory warranty even if using all OEM parts? Can a dealer do this upgrade? If anyone has tried, what are they charging?

OKRam1500

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this voids the factory warranty even if using all OEM parts? Can a dealer do this upgrade? If anyone has tried, what are they charging?
The question has been asked many times to many dealers but they are not allowed to make this change to the trucks.

grazsrootz

Reaction score
The question has been asked many times to many dealers but they are not allowed to make this change to the trucks.
Makes sense. I suppose these modifications would be covered by Magnuson moss act thus they would need to prove that these modifications caused any damage before voiding warranty, but uncertain of folks in this thread know. Still reading though on page 10 at the moment but figured I'd ask

nickelwork87

Reaction score
Hey guys getting all the parts. I have the mirror mount but I wanted to use my old mirror. I have a 19 bighorn level 2. I wanted to know that the mirror in the parts list does that active the dimming rear view mirror or not. My looks like it has some kind of light sensor. I wanted to know if the dasm will control that or will the new mirrors have that in there.

Attachments

• 20220925_180105.jpg
    20220925_180105.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220925_180111.jpg
    20220925_180111.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 52

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys getting all the parts. I have the mirror mount but I wanted to use my old mirror. I have a 19 bighorn level 2. I wanted to know that the mirror in the parts list does that active the dimming rear view mirror or not. My looks like it has some kind of light sensor. I wanted to know if the dasm will control that or will the new mirrors have that in there.
You can’t use that mirror because that box will hit the DASM. 1454E667-D722-48B1-A02A-E9F8F87A097A.jpeg
You would need to use 68325128AA if you want to retain auto mirror dimming.
I have a spare one of those mirrors if you’re interested.

Sohosys

Reaction score
It has not been confirmed, but it is possible that you can use a used HCU and ABS module rather than purchasing new as mentioned in the document. This information is based on 5th gen HD and 4th Gen 1500s. If someone does confirm a used HCU and ABS module will work, please let me know.
I have confirmed that you can use an ABS Module and HCU from another vehicle. I was able to activate ACC on a 2021 Bighorn using a donor ABS/HCU assembly (both parts) from a 2019 Limited with the Advanced Safety Group which includes Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go. I recommend getting the VIN from the donor vehicle and verifying that it does in fact have Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go using the FCA window sticker lookup tool. Of the two I was able to find for sale on a popular website, one was listed with the wrong part number and was not the correct part. Fortunately, I caught it before I bought and installed it.

I used AlfaOBD 2.3.6.0 on Windows with an OBDLink EX USB interface an inexpensive 12+8 FCA SGW module bypass cable. I assume other combinations will work but can't confirm.

The additional step required to get past the VIN mismatch fault is to run “Reset VIN values” using AlfaOBD. It has been previously been confirmed to work with older 1500 Rams and HD Rams, and I can confirm that it also works with a 2021 Ram 1500 DT.

Steps:

• Connect to function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD.
  • Read the system ID and System Status under Status/Faults and save the log for future reference if needed (not required, but a good idea).
  • Disconnect and turn of ignition.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Remove old ABS/HCU assembly and install the donor assembly. Be prepared to deal with about 1 quart of spilled brake fluid, most of which will come out of line on the back of the HCU closest the right fender.
  • Install donor ABS/HCU assembly.
  • Perform a base brake system bleed (using any of the old school methods).
  • Connect battery.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID and System Status and save the log again.
  • Run “Reset VIN Values” under Active Diagnostic. When I ran this is never returned a process complete status but it worked. I waited about five minutes.
  • Power off ignition and wait a couple minutes for the power off delay to expire.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID again. Verify that the value for VIN current all question marks. If not, repeat. The ABS ECU initialization will not work until the VIN current value is properly cleared.
  • Perform the ABS module bleed procedure using AlfaOBD (AlfaOBD will guide you).
  • I'm pretty sure the factory service manual says to run a base system bleed on the brakes again after the ABS bleed, but I can't confirm. Other than a little more time, it can't hurt.
  • Run static ECU initialization
  • Run Longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration. I had to disconnect, go to advanced mode, uncheck verify ECU, and connect to RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500: MY2013+ PowerNet to get this to work. The option under DT MY2019+ of “Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration fails”. I only used the 2013+ option for this one step.
  • Clear codes and cycle ignition
  • Run clearing Rolls Information
  • Run Inlet Valve Calibration
  • Run Pilot Valve Calibration
  • Run Sensor Cluster Calibration
  • Run Brake Pedal Calibration
When this was all done, I only had one remaining error which was the EPB error. This cleared when I engaged and released the parking brake and cycled the ignition one time.

Note that the ABS module will retain the VIN from the original vehicle under the VIN original value. Only the VIN current value needs to match the current vehicle.

Much thanks to all those that did the hard work to figure this stuff out!

One step closer to installing a Comma 3!

Last edited:

eyerocks

Reaction score
Would anyone have a copy of their bcm file from factory acc fcw lane assist to compare alfaobd settings? Thanks

tdb0021

Reaction score
I have confirmed that you can use an ABS Module and HCU from another vehicle. I was able to activate ACC on a 2021 Bighorn using a donor ABS/HCU assembly (both parts) from a 2019 Limited with the Advanced Safety Group which includes Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go. I recommend getting the VIN from the donor vehicle and verifying that it does in fact have Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go using the FCA window sticker lookup tool. Of the two I was able to find for sale on a popular website, one was listed with the wrong part number and was not the correct part. Fortunately, I caught it before I bought and installed it.

I used AlfaOBD 2.3.6.0 on Windows with an OBDLink EX USB interface an inexpensive 12+8 FCA SGW module bypass cable. I assume other combinations will work but can't confirm.

The additional step required to get past the VIN mismatch fault is to run “Reset VIN values” using AlfaOBD. It has been previously been confirmed to work with older 1500 Rams and HD Rams, and I can confirm that it also works with a 2021 Ram 1500 DT.

Steps:

• Connect to function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD.
  • Read the system ID and System Status under Status/Faults and save the log for future reference if needed (not required, but a good idea).
  • Remove old ABS/HCU assembly and install the donor assembly. Be prepared to deal with about 1 quart of spilled brake fluid, most of which will come out of line on the back of the HCU closest the right fender.
  • Connect battery.
  • Run “Reset VIN Values” under Active Diagnostic. When I ran this is never returned a process complete status but it worked. I waited about five minutes.
  • Power off ignition and wait a couple minutes for the power off delay to expire.
  • Read System ID again. Verify that the value for VIN current all question marks. If not, repeat. The ABS ECU initialization will not work until the VIN current value is properly cleared.
  • Perform the ABS module bleed procedure using AlfaOBD (AlfaOBD will guide you).
  • I'm pretty sure the factory service manual says to run a base system bleed on the brakes again after the ABS bleed, but I can't confirm. Other than a little more time, it can't hurt.
  • Run Longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration. I had to disconnect, go to advanced mode, uncheck verify ECU, and connect to RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500: MY2013+ PowerNet to get this to work. The option under DT MY2019+ of “Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration fails”. I only used the 2013+ option for this one step.
When this was all done, I only had one remaining error which was the EPB error. This cleared when I engaged and released the parking brake and cycled the ignition one time.

Note that the ABS module will retain the VIN from the original vehicle under the VIN original value. Only the VIN current value needs to match the current vehicle.

Wow this is great information to know. I'll add this in at the beginning of the thread for those that may pursue the same path. Appreciate your research and instruction for this!

nickelwork87

Reaction score

Steps:

• Connect battery.

This Is great news now only if anyone can verify if a used dasm would work.

tdb0021

Reaction score
This Is great news now only if anyone can verify if a used dasm would work.
It can be but i believe you cannot use AlphaOBD to perform the procedure. I heard of a guy that was able to reactivate a used DASM with the dealer's tool

nickelwork87

Reaction score
It can be but i believe you cannot use AlphaOBD to perform the procedure. I heard of a guy that was able to reactivate a used DASM with the dealer's tool
Great news then. Is there anyone that I can drive to and have the calibration done

maxmammele

Reaction score
That write up is perfect. Awesome for finding all the small nuances and stuff to get the fine tuning done for the change, very much appreciated.

In case anyone was wondering, I figured out the display issues with the ACC displaying on the instrument cluster/speedometer. If you have the base, smaller 3.5” display in between the tachometer and speedometer display in your dash, if you do this mod correctly it will function but it won’t display that the ACC is on, and won’t show your vehicle and the lines of spaces between the car in front of you. I had to upgrade to the premium 7” EVIC instrument cluster for everything to display and show properly.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Steps:

• Connect battery.

Guess I'm going to start gathering the parts for this one!

Sohosys

Reaction score
Has anyone added blind spot monitoring to a truck that had the incandescent taillights instead of LED? This is my next mod and I wonder what surprises I might encounter. I do know that the entire taillight housing is different, and the radar modules cannot be added to the incandescent lights like they can by cutting out the molded area in the LED lights. I have some used radar modules and see that I can buy some aftermarket LED taillights that will accept them. I have also read this entire thread, so I am aware of the missing wiring between the connecter at the driver floorboard that the CAN hub. I also know I will need to replace the last part of the wiring harness at the taillights. Anything else? 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread