5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

xJudge21x

Reaction score
Success adding the Lane Keep and Pedestrian Braking (although haven't tested that out yet..maybe a job to the 17 year old!! Have him walk in front of me..lol..just a joke!)

Ordered the ACC Switch HCU and ABS Module, so once they get here I'll start working that project! Thanks so much to this whole community. @vincentw56, @MayhemMOORE, @tdb0021, and most recently @gmenarvino for all your trial and errors on this. And @Jimmy07 for all the expert advice on all things parts and Alpha and everything!!!

gmenarvino

Reaction score
Just changed screen for the three buttons one, all is working perfect, I will work on Park assist in August when I'm back from a big trip.

Thank you all!

Ps: @Jimmy07 about the new upcoming feature for keeping the car in the center (coming in Gran cherokee) once fca update the firmware (in the future) will this option be available for us?

Attachments

• PXL_20210628_193521505.jpg
    PXL_20210628_193521505.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20210628_185131842.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210628_185131842.MP.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 75

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just changed screen for the three buttons one, all is working perfect, I will work on Park assist in August when I'm back from a big trip.

Thank you all!

Ps: @Jimmy07 about the new upcoming feature for keeping the car in the center (coming in Gran cherokee) once fca update the firmware (in the future) will this option be available for us?
Are you talking about lanesense? Did you activate that in the computer? Mine works by nudging me back over when I get close to the lines.

gmenarvino

Reaction score
Are you talking about lanesense? Did you activate that in the computer? Mine works by nudging me back over when I get close to the lines.
Yes, the lanesense "center line" is a new feature not yet released, what you and me have is exactly what you described but, keep center will be same/similar as the basic tesla autopilot , keeping the car/truck always in the middle itself.
If you activate that now I believe it won't work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the lanesense "center line" is a new feature not yet released, what you and me have is exactly what you described but, keep center will be same/similar as the basic tesla autopilot , keeping the car/truck always in the middle itself.
If you activate that now I believe it won't work.
I’m assuming you’re talking about active driver assist with lane centering on the grand Cherokee L? Retrofitting that into a DT isn’t going to happen. It’s using night vision camera modules, and more importantly, it’s running on a faster canbus- FD.

gmenarvino

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re talking about active driver assist with lane centering on the grand Cherokee L? Retrofitting that into a DT isn’t going to happen. It’s using night vision camera modules, and more importantly, it’s running on a faster canbus- FD.
Yes, I was referring to active driver assist.
Thank you

sasquatchsam

Reaction score
Great information! I am curious about one thing. I have a new 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn with the Level 1 Safety Group, which gives me the DASM already, and has pedestrian emergency braking, advanced brake assist, full speed forward collision warning plus, and lane keep assist.

Since I have the DASM already, with lane keep, emergency braking, etc. would I need the ABS module and HCU in order to get ACC working? Or would it just be the steering wheel button and AlphaODB/hardware?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Great information! I am curious about one thing. I have a new 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn with the Level 1 Safety Group, which gives me the DASM already, and has pedestrian emergency braking, advanced brake assist, full speed forward collision warning plus, and lane keep assist.

Since I have the DASM already, with lane keep, emergency braking, etc. would I need the ABS module and HCU in order to get ACC working? Or would it just be the steering wheel button and AlphaODB/hardware?
I believe that would be all you need and then enable it with AlfaODB. You could try it since it would cost about $100. If it doesn't, then you'd probably need the HCU and Abs.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Easiest way to find out is to have a dealer look up the parts installed on your truck via your VIN. Even with the DASM and FCW+ with AEB, my Laramie still doesn’t have the required abs/HCU for ACC to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xJudge21x

Reaction score
Easiest way to find out is to have a dealer look up the parts installed on your truck via your VIN. Even with the DASM and FCW+ with AEB, my Laramie still doesn’t have the required abs/HCU for ACC to work.

Ditto here. As @MayhemMOORE has found, most of us with 2021s have to get the HCU and ABS, so far the only one that was able to do the switch only was @gmenarvino and he has a TRX, so I'm guessing that had something to do with it, maybe TRXs are just built that way...

Necrosand

Reaction score
Ditto here. As @MayhemMOORE has found, most of us with 2021s have to get the HCU and ABS, so far the only one that was able to do the switch only was @gmenarvino and he has a TRX, so I'm guessing that had something to do with it, maybe TRXs are just built that way...
Also can confirm that only the switch swap + enabling in the BCM is necessary on TRX. Forgot to post update on this from a while back.

sasquatchsam

Reaction score
How difficult is the ABS/HCU install for someone who isn’t super experienced working on cars? Too much for a first mod?

vincentw56

Reaction score
How difficult is the ABS/HCU install for someone who isn’t super experienced working on cars? Too much for a first mod?
Removing and installing is not too bad. Because you are removing brakes lines, you will need to bleed the brakes. So it really depends on how comfortable you are with that. None of it is super difficult.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The ABS module is just 3 screws and a connector. It’s the HCU that some people may not feel comfortable messing with, since as others have said, it involves bleeding the brakes.

WchChip

Reaction score
I have a question. I have a 2021 Rebel with a DASM and the FCW. Is adding Auto High Beams a simple AlphaOBD change?

Users who are viewing this thread