5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

St-na

Reaction score
Yeah I do that too, the one they sent me in the email didn't come up when I searched for it. And funny enough, after I placed the order from the link they sent me, I got a followup email saying it was on backorder..lol..oh well..ill let you guys know when I get it...
Any chance to share this link with us? Somehow that's the only part I can't order.

xJudge21x

Reaction score
It's weird they sent it to my email and I went back in to check it and it does come up the same way any more, I guess the quote expired once I used it...it was like preset thing the girl sent me all I did was click order and put in the payment stuff...they sent me an email about a day later that said it was on backorder and asked of I wanted to wait or get a refund...I said I'd wait...and they replied that my refund was on the way🤦🏻

In fact that screenshot is all I get now, it used to come up with all my info and the price of the part...I have no idea what is going on.

Attachments

• Screenshot mopar link.png
    Screenshot mopar link.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
It's weird they sent it to my email and I went back in to check it and it does come up the same way any more, I guess the quote expired once I used it...it was like preset thing the girl sent me all I did was click order and put in the payment stuff...they sent me an email about a day later that said it was on backorder and asked of I wanted to wait or get a refund...I said I'd wait...and they replied that my refund was on the way🤦🏻

In fact that screenshot is all I get now, it used to come up with all my info and the price of the part...I have no idea what is going on.
I ask 5 different sellers for the part number, given VIN for fully loaded 2021 Laramie with all options needed (65k MSRP), all of them recommended me 68488374AA. Will go ahead with the order.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Number was replaced.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 39

Crimepayz

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.
Link not working. Please update

xJudge21x

Reaction score
They will not do it. It costs about $3000. The only thing the dealer will do is calibrate the radar and camera.
I've been to 3 different dealerships checking if they would do the work and I would let them charge me their high prices...the answer is always a variation of: "Chrysler makes these things so complex now you can't just add the HCU and ABS there are a bunch of other different things that need to be changed." to "We can't do that because your VIN didn't have that feature."

I really don't understand why they won't do it. I'd be paying them for labor and buying MOPAR parts...I mean I already bought the car...

I always wonder if there is any truth to what they say...all I read on here says they are full of it or just lazy and don't want to do the research...anyway better for me to save money and do it myself, with all the support of this forum anyway...

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been to 3 different dealerships checking if they would do the work and I would let them charge me their high prices...the answer is always a variation of: "Chrysler makes these things so complex now you can't just add the HCU and ABS there are a bunch of other different things that need to be changed." to "We can't do that because your VIN didn't have that feature."

I really don't understand why they won't do it. I'd be paying them for labor and buying MOPAR parts...I mean I already bought the car...

I always wonder if there is any truth to what they say...all I read on here says they are full of it or just lazy and don't want to do the research...anyway better for me to save money and do it myself, with all the support of this forum anyway...
It is because FCA hasn't released an upgrade kit for it. It was through trial and error that the people on here got it working.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I imagine a large part of it is due to liability. They don’t want to be responsible if something were to go wrong due to them taking a functioning system and replacing it with one that was not originally equipped and not a standard Mopar accessory kit.

They might be able to actually install the parts, but engineering would likely not let them add the sales codes required to make it all function correctly, especially given that it’s a critical system on the vehicle. They don’t have the ability at dealer level to add the required sales codes to enable the things you can with AlfaOBD unless it’s an approved add-on such as bed lighting or remote start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St-na

Reaction score
Number was replaced.
There is a big mess in the system regarding this number. Most of the websites shows 68488374AA as no longer available, but 68488374AB not shown at all, I spoke with the few companies over the phone and they said I have to go to dealer to order this part: 68488374AA not 68488374AB. Finally I placed order to David Taylor Ellisville CDJR:
Please find your custom quote items below:

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68488374AA​
Rear Fascia Wiring​
$95.00​
1​
$95.00​

Subtotal: $95.00​
Estimated Standard Shipping: $19.24​
Total: $114.24​

rear wiring quote. 636-484-5333

They have confirmed over the phone, that I will get 68488374AA.

Attachments

• rear fascia 1.jpg
    rear fascia 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 26
  • rear fascia 2.jpg
    rear fascia 2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

xJudge21x

Reaction score
I imagine a large part of it is due to liability. They don’t want to be responsible if something were to go wrong due to them taking a functioning system and replacing it with one that was not originally equipped and not a standard Mopar accessory kit.

They might be able to actually install the parts, but engineering would likely not let them add the sales codes required to make it all function correctly, especially given that it’s a critical system on the vehicle. They don’t have the ability at dealer level to add the required sales codes to enable the things you can with AlfaOBD unless it’s an approved add-on such as bed lighting or remote start.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just glad this place exists with all you guys who, like @vincentw56 says, figure this stuff out through the trial and error...makes it more fun anyway!!

xJudge21x

Reaction score
There is a big mess in the system regarding this number. Most of the websites shows 68488374AA as no longer available, but 68488374AB not shown at all, I spoke with the few companies over the phone and they said I have to go to dealer to order this part: 68488374AA not 68488374AB. Finally I placed order to David Taylor Ellisville CDJR:
Please find your custom quote items below:

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
68488374AA​
Rear Fascia Wiring​
$95.00​
1​
$95.00​

Subtotal: $95.00​
Estimated Standard Shipping: $19.24​
Total: $114.24​

rear wiring quote. 636-484-5333

They have confirmed over the phone, that I will get 68488374AA.
Thanks! I guess I will try with the Parts guys at my dealer!! Did they say how long for it to arrive?

Toperz

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Is there any way to check which parts were used to build truck? For example like ABS or HCU without taking them out. If there is, I'm thinking to go to my friend who has auto body shop and compare to maybe RAM Laramie VIN with I think it was Advance Safety Group addon. He could call dealer telling them that he has crashed Ram with that option and he needs to replace whole system and what parts he needs. I'm asking because I saw posts saying we need to replace those parts even if I have already Level 1 Safety Group and Level 2 Equipment and Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection. If not then I just order switch and center stack first and I'll try to program that.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Is there any way to check which parts were used to build truck? For example like ABS or HCU without taking them out. If there is, I'm thinking to go to my friend who has auto body shop and compare to maybe RAM Laramie VIN with I think it was Advance Safety Group addon. He could call dealer telling them that he has crashed Ram with that option and he needs to replace whole system and what parts he needs. I'm asking because I saw posts saying we need to replace those parts even if I have already Level 1 Safety Group and Level 2 Equipment and Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection. If not then I just order switch and center stack first and I'll try to program that.

Any dealer can use your VIN and look up the factory equipped parts in Star Parts. That will tell you exactly what part number you have. You can then use a VIN that is known to have the advanced safety group and compare the part numbers.

St-na

Reaction score
Thanks! I guess I will try with the Parts guys at my dealer!! Did they say how long for it to arrive?
They are going to ship the part this afternoon, it shouldn't take long from Dallas to Houston.

Skddmorse

Reaction score
Also can confirm that only the switch swap + enabling in the BCM is necessary on TRX. Forgot to post update on this from a while back.
Can you tell me what I need for the BCM changes and what I need to switch? I'm a TRX owner.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

xJudge21x

Reaction score
Can you tell me what I need for the BCM changes and what I need to switch? I'm a TRX owner.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Per @gmenarvino you guys with TRXs have the correct HCU and ABS Module. So for you, all you should need to change is the ACC Switch:
ACC Button - 68309592AD SWITCH. Speed Control. Right. = $57.05

I haven't done this yet, should be sometime this week, so I will defer to @gmenarvino and @Jimmy07 for the correct changes in AlphaOBD, but I believe you need to change the following:

Cruise Control Present: No
Type of adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system present: ACC with stop and go
ACC Adaptive Cruise Control: Not enabled
ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control/Driver Assistance Module: Enabled

I think that is right but I defer to the experts and the guys that have completed this so far. @Stepanchina @tdb0021 @MayhemMOORE @vincentw56 are all guys that have done it and @Jimmy07 is the SME with Alpha...but I would defer to all those guys before you go with what I say...

Dusm

Reaction score
I just transplanted the switch into my 21 TRX trying to figure out what I need to do next. Wish I knew a dealer who could add the sales code to my VIN vcan it be done remotely? I have Alpha OBD from my 2018 but no security bypass not sure if the tazer DT will work with that as a bypass anyone know? From what I read this can also enable lane assist? From what I've been told I already have all the other modules installed.

Attachments​

Attachments

• E8D0A47C-80D7-4DD2-8994-D2FFD48AA2EF.jpeg
    E8D0A47C-80D7-4DD2-8994-D2FFD48AA2EF.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 31C236C2-EE78-4EBD-997C-03B1ECE7CDCA.jpeg
    31C236C2-EE78-4EBD-997C-03B1ECE7CDCA.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread