5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big have you towed? w/Pics no tricks!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made a run to Portland ORE the other day for IKEA kitchen remodel. 12' dump trailer(4600#) and a load of cabinets(2000#) and just over 400 miles. Still averaged just over 12 mpg.
The other pic is what we pull when we snow-bird down south(8350# dry).

Attachments

• Ready to roll.jpg
    Ready to roll.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 459
  • IKEA Run.jpg
    IKEA Run.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 442

speedracernc

Reaction score
Made a run to Portland ORE the other day for IKEA kitchen remodel. 12' dump trailer(4600#) and a load of cabinets(2000#) and just over 400 miles. Still averaged just over 12 mpg.
The other pic is what we pull when we snow-bird down south(8350# dry).

what kind of 5th wheel is that? what is the hitch weight?
thanks

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
IMO, its not so much about the mileage but the towing experience.

That's the voice of experience, I agree 100%. My Ford pulls that tailer with almost no noise, no fuss at all. My dodge makes some noise, you listen to the Hemi sing from time to time when climbing but it's got more than enough power. I bought the diesel when we had a larger toy hauler my wife is a nervous passanger and she hated the sound of the gas V8's revving. The 6.7 just whistled and worked effortlessly.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
I towed my TJ from NJ to PA and back. I would figure it had to be around 5k or 6k. I did it with a Uhaul designed to be loaded tongue heavy. I'm hoping to find another trailer rental company with better designed trailers with electric brakes.

View attachment 43957
I pulled my JKU into storage this past fall on a U-haul trailer. It was horrendous, pulled worse than my camper.

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Really interested to hear how the Hensley works. That may be almost the same set up for me soon.
I'll do a post when I get it all setup and tested in the spring. I don't expect to try it until April but I got the hitch a week ago. Setup doesn't look any more complicated than either the Equalizer or Blue Ox I've used in the past.

Cannonball

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood but are you saying you pulled 10,900# 200 miles with no trailer brakes? That sounds really scary to me and would be 7,900# over the legal limit without brakes in MN where I live.

Surge brakes on 2 of 3 axles. No issues stopping here!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This loaded with fuel and water is usually around 6,700 Lbs. Driven over 4,000 miles towing with it, tows like a dream! View attachment 42170

** INSERT UPGRADE HERE ** This last weekend this happened.... Happy Camper! Had the trailer custom made and the wheels to almost match the RAM since the boat has never left the water before. Now sitting at right about 9,000-9,300 Lbs. Towed about 1,000 miles so far.

New boat.jpg

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
9200# in the outfitted and fueled boat. (31' w engines / 9' beam)
1700# in the trailer
5% (ish) tounge weight

Pulled for over 200 miles.

Overall very impressed. No issues accelerating or stopping. Actually accelerated very very well! Truck felt in control the whole time. The only issue was sway at high speed. But this pointed hull is the most sway enducing shape possible so it was to be expected.

The air suspension kept it fully level (picture was after I disconnected), no squat at all. Ride quality was excellent but you could definitely notice there was something back there.

Mileage was 10.5mpg averaging 63mph with in tow mode at all times (wouldn't downshift to 8th anyways and the shorter shift points helped going up "hills")

Sway was horrible at or above 65mph. Not the trucks fault though as mentioned... Also, I don't have a brake controller ... Ask me what my next upgrade is?

I have yet to pull it out of the water and UP a boat ramp though. With 4x2 I may set the trailer with a little more tounge weight before attempting it :oops:

What an amazing truck
View attachment 41891

I also noticed the slight sway at speeds over 72 or there abouts but it
9200# in the outfitted and fueled boat. (31' w engines / 9' beam)
1700# in the trailer
5% (ish) tounge weight

Pulled for over 200 miles.

Overall very impressed. No issues accelerating or stopping. Actually accelerated very very well! Truck felt in control the whole time. The only issue was sway at high speed. But this pointed hull is the most sway enducing shape possible so it was to be expected.

The air suspension kept it fully level (picture was after I disconnected), no squat at all. Ride quality was excellent but you could definitely notice there was something back there.

Mileage was 10.5mpg averaging 63mph with in tow mode at all times (wouldn't downshift to 8th anyways and the shorter shift points helped going up "hills")

Sway was horrible at or above 65mph. Not the trucks fault though as mentioned... Also, I don't have a brake controller ... Ask me what my next upgrade is?

I have yet to pull it out of the water and UP a boat ramp though. With 4x2 I may set the trailer with a little more tounge weight before attempting it :oops:

What an amazing truck
View attachment 41891

I also noticed the slight sway at speeds over 72 or there abouts, but it never felt out of control. New boat.jpg

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Picture taken at the CAT scale this boat was just under 9k & 15,800 CVW if memory serves me. Triple axle trailer built for the boat 10 percent tongue weight it trailered great. I only tow at 65 but had to take it over some 6 percent grades. No electric trailer brakes only surge brakes so I was real happy I had the diesel exhaust brake. I think fuel economy was around 14.5 mpg for the 480 miles I had to transport it.
1582296527226.jpeg

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Yes wish we had that option with the ED. With only 26 gallons 350 miles is about it.

recon15

Reaction score
Weekend Warrior wide-body SS1900 toy hauler. Probably only about 7,500 to 8,000 lbs in this pic and so far the heaviest thing I've hauled with the truck. Hitch weight is probably around 950 lbs. Love the air ride to level it out, 3.92 gears to get it going, and the 33 gallon tank for range. Came from a Powerstroke and it doesn't have the torque or fuel economy of a diesel, but gets the job done and way more comfortable as a daily driver around town (how it spends 99% of its life). View attachment 43298
I have the same truck and looking at the same exact toy hauler. Did you have a SXS or atv's in it? Im coming from a 2017 F250 so im trying to decide if the truck will be good with this setup.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Boats tow so much better due to the lesser frontal area for sure. An equal weight boat and travel trailer pull very differently in frontal and side winds.
When I towed a 4 horse trailer decades ago the curved front clearly was easier than the old “brick” Traveleze bumper pull trailer.

Both were the same length and the 4 horse trailer much heavier when loaded.

jermball623

Reaction score
Pull may camper around. 6500 dry probably around 7500 ready to camp and close to 1k pound tongue weight. Use a Husky Centerline TS coupled with my air bags.

Attachments

• 20200313_170803.jpg
    20200313_170803.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread