5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big have you towed? w/Pics no tricks!

Cannonball

Reaction score
9200# in the outfitted and fueled boat. (31' w engines / 9' beam)
1700# in the trailer
5% (ish) tounge weight

Pulled for over 200 miles.

Overall very impressed. No issues accelerating or stopping. Actually accelerated very very well! Truck felt in control the whole time. The only issue was sway at high speed. But this pointed hull is the most sway enducing shape possible so it was to be expected.

The air suspension kept it fully level (picture was after I disconnected), no squat at all. Ride quality was excellent but you could definitely notice there was something back there.

Mileage was 10.5mpg averaging 63mph with in tow mode at all times (wouldn't downshift to 8th anyways and the shorter shift points helped going up "hills")

Sway was horrible at or above 65mph. Not the trucks fault though as mentioned... Also, I don't have a brake controller ... Ask me what my next upgrade is?

I have yet to pull it out of the water and UP a boat ramp though. With 4x2 I may set the trailer with a little more tounge weight before attempting it :oops:

What an amazing truck
20190926_145019~3.jpg

cash4trash

Reaction score
Nice. I'm looking at getting a travel trailer eventually.. my truck has the highway gears, so the trailer ratings are around 8k.. been looking at a 26ft trailer with gvwr under 7k..
Chris

bennekm

Reaction score
No picture but my travel trailer is 8600 lbs with over 1000 lbs of hitch weight. Air suspension leveled it perfectly. Had to put hellwig on and had my BFGs filled to 60s on top of the blue ox having so much tension on it I practically had to lift the back of the truck to control the excessive sway.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I towed a uhaul with about 800 pounds of furniture in it. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself :LOL:. In all honesty I bought the truck for the bed and ride height, not really for towing. Most I'll probably pull is a boat when we have kids so we can have family fishing trips.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20190309_071605.jpg 20190309_071605.jpg

20' v-nose about 7500 lbs loaded. I've since sold the trailer after my move to Michigan. I will be pulling a 27 to 30' center console twin outboard next year. It'll be a high performance type with an 8 or 8.5' beam. Probably won't weigh much more than what I have towed. Just longer which is no biggie. It'll also be reasonably short pulls not the 1200 milers I did with the car trailer.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pulling a 36" Sandpiper fifth wheel at 9000# approx. with 1000# tongue. Towed from Tucson to central Washington with no problems.

tobyw

Reaction score
I'm pulling a 36" Sandpiper fifth wheel at 9000# approx. with 1000# tongue. Towed from Tucson to central Washington with no problems.

Did you install airbags or anything to help mitigate sag with that much pin weight? Or is your pin location forward enough of the rear axle to push the entire truck down? I've been considering installing a gooseneck ball in mine to get back to being able to pull around the 20+5 flatdeck goose and haul both Jeeps...

maddog49

Reaction score
24' boat+ trailer at 6200lbs and another 300lbs of cargo and 600lbs of passengers in the truck. No drama in hills or highways etc and we tow 3000-5000 miles a year with this setup and its very easy and pleasant. Not super heavy overall but well beyond most suv's.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you install airbags or anything to help mitigate sag with that much pin weight? Or is your pin location forward enough of the rear axle to push the entire truck down? I've been considering installing a gooseneck ball in mine to get back to being able to pull around the 20+5 flatdeck goose and haul both Jeeps...
Truck has only the factory air suspension. The mount is the B&W GNRK1319 "Turnoverball" Gooseneck hitch, and the fifth wheel mount is an Andersen's Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Toolbox Model # 3220-TBX . The only thing that I do not like about it is the fact that it places the pin over the axle. The adapter on the trailer kingpin box is set to move the kingpin forward, but the geometry still looks to set the weight back over the axle. Although the truck and suspension seem to handle the load well, I am not sure if I like the roll produced by the goose neck to trailer ball mount on the top. I was used to a standard fifth wheel plate mound which is somewhat more stable and produces less body roll while cornering at low speeds and tight turns in RV parks. I previously used a Husky 16000k hitch with slider on my Duramax, and am looking at changing to a Demco 5th wheel base rail adapter and going back to the Husky. The reason I am using the Andersen is that I traded my Chevy for the Ram 1500 Limited while traveling, and at the time it was the only option and the dealer paid for it and the install when I made the deal.
Hope that answers your questions.

tobyw

Reaction score
Definitely does, thank you. We previously had a Keystone Carbon 387 toy hauler that we yanked around with our 2012 Dodge 3500, and we used the B&W turnover ball and a Reece Goosebox on the trailer. It was a fantastic setup for us and the biggest benefit to me personally was the lack of anything in the bed of the truck when we unhooked. The Goosebox has an airbag to help with chucking and overall it was a great setup for us.

bfp9

Reaction score
Pulled a Uhaul trailer with a car loaded up with junk which weighed 7400lbs according to the Cat Weigh Scales.

Truck bed was loaded with another 1000lbs of stuff.

Drove through the Smokey’s and had absolutely no issues with the 3.21, and averaged 10.6mpg.

279832e22b465b733064f8ab7a00228b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread