5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big have you towed? w/Pics no tricks!

bennekm

Reaction score
2019 Apex Ultra Lite 293RLDS
UVW: 6440lbs (~7400 loaded)
GVWR: 7800lbs
Tongue: 832 (1,000 w/propane,batteries,cargo)
33.11ft length 10.7 height
Tows perfectly up steep grades with no lack of power, minimal sway with anti sway hitch installed. My truck has air ride so it sits level throughout. I have to be minimal of cargo in the cab/bed due to payload restrictions. My temps are in what i consider normal range for when towing a load, wish i took a pic of it to compare, maybe next time ill get a chance. The trailers height is a bit shorter then most other TTs so the wind resistance isnt as severe which i believe helps me with control.

I took a day to weigh my truck and trailer connected, both of them separate, as well as weighed my trailer and its hitch separately so i know exactly what and where to load cargo. View attachment 51966

I have a very similar trailer. What hitch system are you using?

CornTrucks

Reaction score
That’s an 1,100 gallon field sprayer. I have no idea what this weighs; I just know it looks awful, haha. No trailer brakes here, of course, and ready for a 500 mile trip. Pentastar V6 power!

Attachments

• 9E8E2CE7-B7D7-48E3-AA90-AB803078CDDE.jpeg
    9E8E2CE7-B7D7-48E3-AA90-AB803078CDDE.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 4D2B38AF-100C-402F-A0BE-603A444C6FAB.jpeg
    4D2B38AF-100C-402F-A0BE-603A444C6FAB.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 231

Cross88

Reaction score
How is the sag with the stock suspension? Hard to tell from pic.

actually when I first picked up the trailer I had the 2” rear drop springs, and with the WDH, everything was good and level for the truck. It was all set up for me at the dealership, so I’m not sure what the initial sag was before installing the bars.

intelligence209

Reaction score
I have a very similar trailer. What hitch system are you using?
I have the huskey tow hitch, the one with the chains. Nothing special, but I do have that sway bar. Iv towed with it and without it, its night and day difference.. I used to have the apex 300bhs. I personally think that trailers towing handling was overall trash. Despite them being similar RVs in size, and same brand, there is a bit of frame difference that could maybe cause different handling..

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Corntruck if water is 8.35 pounds per gallon and if the trailer heavy steel heavy axle & tires weighs 2,000 that’s 11,185 pounds. At 10 percent TW that’s 1,120 on the receiver.

You don’t want more than 4,300 on drive axle and the receiver is max rated at 1,150. Otherwise a rough bump or hole can bust an axle or the skimpy receiver. You can see Rams coils are soft cause you are down on the bump stopes and have unloaded your steer axle weight. Lol no stoppy fast or accident swerve around for you. I mean I get you are not going fast or far.

If you can’t do a WDH to get some weight back off the drive axle and back on the steer & trailer axles at least do some airbags. Easy no drill self install $379. You will be much happier with the truck. Least I am. BTW I am not chastising I load my 1500 heavy at times.

Last edited:

intelligence209

Reaction score
From what I understand, the class IV hitch rating is 1150lbs/14,000lbs. I'll never comment negative on anyone's gear, but I seen some TTs that scares me to see them being pulled by a ram 1500 class IV.

I would like to know the failing point of that hitch, i imagine that the rating is far below it but still, I would love to know.

I feel when at 1,000lbs TT tongue, plus the WD bars, the tow hitch itself and other accessories, your easily at or over 1150lbs.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
If you are using a WDH and you show the DOT cop your CAT scale slips showing a gain in combined axle weight IE gross vehicle weight of 1,150 or less you are golden.

Last edited:

upwindstorm

Reaction score
Story Time. .

I know a guy that used to tow once or twice a year overpayload with a 08 Silverado 1500 LTZ extended cab with 6'6" box , helper bags and E rated tires. he had a 670lb ATV in the bed with a 28 ft camper hooked to it with a tounge weight of probably 800lbs with his occupants inside that added up to 600lbs. well past its payload rating. The well maintained vehicle handled just fine and stopped fine. he just purchased a 19 Laramie Crew with the 6'4" box with much heavier rated helper bags and E rated tires again and tells me he still plans on making his yearly 250 mile trip.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
As a TT / boat Mfgr & commercial transporter I do that type of load several time a year for the last 5 years. Axles & tongue weight and distribution set by WDH & loading via CAT scale results for maximum stability & safety. Paying attention to axles, receiver, and combined vehicle weight limits. Truck is tuned with exhaust brake, factory trailer brake controller, Air bags, & E load tires. Truck tows all day everyday like a semi 660k miles never an issue. Vehicle 2014 Ecodiesel.

Don't fear Mfgr rated safe limits. Know them and use them to setup safe loading. Once safe loading setup is understood and actual numbers known in conjunction with experience fear is replaced with respect. You can learn to tow to CVWR over grades through curves and in-climate weather safely & reliably with experience and proper setup. Never should a semi passing make your truck and trailer wiggle like an accordion. Bow wave or wind gusts will push your truck & trailer almost like its one unit or as if you were driving a long box van. Kept to 65 or less proper tire inflation etc never should you have oscillating sway. FWIW CAT has a free app with scales locator GPS directions and more. Additionally their are other company's & truck stop triple scales that can weight your steer, drive, & trailer axles separately and at the same time to help you see what the eyeball and measurement cannot.

Don't mean to hijack thread. PM me if you need. Just like to see fear & mystery replaced with knowledge. Back to tow pics with no tricks lol ie with some specs & or scale slips if you got em.

Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a TT / boat Mfgr & commercial transporter I do that type of load several time a year for the last 5 years. Axles & tongue weight and distribution set by WDH & loading via CAT scale results for maximum stability & safety. Paying attention to axles, receiver, and combined vehicle weight limits. Truck is tuned with exhaust brake, factory trailer brake controller, Air bags, & E load tires. Truck tows all day everyday like a semi 660k miles never an issue. Vehicle 2014 Ecodiesel.
Hey Vern, what WD hitch are you using? Interested to see what a pro uses.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Corntruck if water is 8.35 pounds per gallon and if the trailer heavy steel heavy axle & tires weighs 2,000 that’s 11,185 pounds. At 10 percent TW that’s 1,120 on the receiver.

You don’t want more than 4,300 on drive axle and the receiver is max rated at 1,150. Otherwise a rough bump or hole can bust an axle or the skimpy receiver. You can see Rams coils are soft cause you are down on the bump stopes and have unloaded your steer axle weight. Lol no stoppy fast or accident swerve around for you. I mean I get you are not going fast or far.

If you can’t do a WDH to get some weight back off the drive axle and back on the steer & trailer axles at least do some airbags. Easy no drill self install $379. You will be much happier with the truck. Least I am. BTW I am not chastising I load my 1500 heavy at times.

Yeah, there’s no way it would work with water in that sprayer. It would push the hitch down to the ground before I would even be able to get it off the trailer jack. The sprayer probably only weighs maybe 6000 lbs, give or take a thousand. It just puts a huge amount of the weight onto the tongue for traction when it is hooked up to a tractor.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Zeronet I use the Andersen. Quick easy light no need for specific springs bars, backs, is quiet & smooth, built in sway control. All that said there are others that work great. Its somewhat what you get use to and good at set up with. More conventional I like the Husky Centerline & Blue Ox Swaypro. Good quality metal & engineering.

Corntruck yeah so springs super soft but with axle to frame bags like I linked.. I have put 1,200 on the tongue or 2,500 pound pallet of tile in the cab edge of the bed. Like you for local transport. The bags would carry more than the axles so common sense is required.

Last edited:

vvmcgrew

Reaction score
199BB415-2A49-487F-85BE-720EE8B426FC.jpeg Towed my 27’ cat with 10’ beam and twin 150 outboards 200 miles on bumpy alaskan roads (anchorage to seward)
9000lbs total weight and it was substantially more noticeable than when towing with my f350 (to be expected)

922B3002-F59E-42B9-9A3F-1D482A57B55E.jpeg also tow a 26 ft enclosed trailer hauling snowmobiles and atvs
the ram handles it no problem

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought her home from storage today..... 6,500lbs including trailer. No airbags.....thinking about getting some but it doesn't squat too bad. Hemi handles it with no problem.

IMG_20200422_154921.jpg

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Nice sort of matches your truck. 650ish pounds of TW shouldn't squat the truck either.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice sort of matches your truck. 650ish pounds of TW shouldn't squat the truck either.
Yeah, I wanted red (sucker for red) but the wife vetoed that ha. Kinda glad she talked me out of it bc it does match the boat rather nicely.

RamSco

Reaction score
Tandem 16' trailer ~ 1,600lbs plus CJ7 with add-ons ~ 5,000lbs so total of ~ 6,600lbs. Just put in 1,700 miles and I'm pleasantly surprised how well it did. I installed Timber Grove airbags which made a big difference in loaded ride quality and handling. Del and Huck 04.25.20 - 1.JPG

Boston

Reaction score
That’s an 1,100 gallon field sprayer. I have no idea what this weighs; I just know it looks awful, haha. No trailer brakes here, of course, and ready for a 500 mile trip. Pentastar V6 power!

What's the max speed of them that farm tires? 25mph is common. Don't risk it. Get a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread