5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big have you towed? w/Pics no tricks!

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Cannonball redistribute what you have loaded in that boat and get your TW back up to 10 percent and not only will your drive tires have more traction to pull her up the ramp but will likely solve your sway as well. (granny first gear of the 8 speed is great to walk her up the ramp) This pic is a 4th gen but also a 9,000 pound triple axle boat. Took it about 500 miles from Merced CA to Lake Havasu AZ over 6 percent grades (thanks diesel engine brake) trailer-ed straight at 65 to 70 zero sway.

9,000lb boat n Ram.jpg

:)Trooper it may have a lil more body roll but that Andersen sure articulates the mountain switch backs like no other.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Close to a #1000, but need to run the scales to see for sure. Bought the truck when we were in Tuscon, and needed to get home, so no choice on the setup, as that was all that was available for the new body. Always towed with a regular fifth wheel hitch before, and they are more stable. The Anderson sets the pivot point higher and with the single point of connection sets a gives a different leverage point on the truck. The standard hitch spreads the pivot point and sets it lower. Truck handles it ok, just feels different.

MrCuervoRacing

Reaction score
Recently ran about 2200 miles with 6k enclosed Race trailer. 28 ft. Added another 2000 lbs for 200 miles. Never a power issue. . Factory air susp doesnt adjust if over on tongue weight, have to trick it with lifting the tongue jack to go into or1 .
Sorry no full pic.

Attachments

• 12626.jpeg
    12626.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 279

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cannonball redistribute what you have loaded in that boat and get your TW back up to 10 percent and not only will your drive tires have more traction to pull her up the ramp but will likely solve your sway as well. (granny first gear of the 8 speed is great to walk her up the ramp) This pic is a 4th gen but also a 9,000 pound triple axle boat. Took it about 500 miles from Merced CA to Lake Havasu AZ over 6 percent grades (thanks diesel engine brake) trailer-ed straight at 65 to 70 zero sway.

View attachment 43423

:)Trooper it may have a lil more body roll but that Andersen sure articulates the mountain switch backs like no other.
20’ dump trailer with 4 yards of aggregate rock.... well over 10,000 lbs of wet rock plus weight of trailer. Then had to raise truck to OR1 to get down a dirt road. Towed around 20 miles on mountain roads and the air suspension did great until I dumped the trailer. Wouldn’t let me go back to normal ride height and it would not let me readjust the rear bags to normal. Kept getting a payload error..... eventually the system reset itself once I disconnected the trailer and drove the truck around the block. Otherwise. No issues.
Been there done that. I have a 14' that has the axles set to the rear, and the Ram doesn't care much for it with the rock towards the front. So I started using the F 250 farm truck instead. The weight sets it down pretty hard too as I haul about 10000 +/- at a time also. BTW, rock is about #3500 per yard and can be a little more, so watch out for the weight cops, you might be WELL over.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Off-topic but wet rock? Not sure how much that adds but wet sand... well maybe it's the same thing.
I blew out a dually set years ago on a mid 80's Dodge while turning a 90 degree corner at lower speeds (due to overloading a 1 ton dump) with wet sand. The load shifted and kapow...
My boss was not impressed with the Saturday tire service bill. I wonder if that's a reason I got laid off shortly thereafter? Hmmm... :unsure: :whistle:

silver billet

Reaction score

Looks like you have the Sport trim; so, you are probably over your max payload, or very very close. I'm guessing you have about 1400 pounds payload (check your sticker). That's with nobody inside your truck. Now add you (200 pounds?, wife, kids, dog, luggage...). The negative comments aren't there to make you feel bad, they're there to keep others on the road safe because an accident quite involves more than one vehicle. I don't care if you wreck your shiny new wheels, but I care if you lose control and smash into me or others.

General rule; 5th wheels absolutely require a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull. It's not about engine or towing power, it's about how much weight can you dump in your truck before your suspension, axles, or tires just give up or become squirrely enough that you can no longer control the truck.

You definitely need to get a different truck, or just travel alone inside it with no passengers or luggage.

barr0208

Reaction score
What are you using in the bed. I have the B&W turnover ball with the Andersen Ultimate, but it gives more body roll than I care for. BTW, no flack from here. I have a very similar setup.
Anderson rail mount steel version 40 lbs I love it have been towing with it for 3 years. payload by cat scale my truck weighs 5448 with full tank of gas 7100-5448 =1652 payload -40 for hitch =1612 - 1425 pin cat scaled=187 i know im over payload but not over my axle rating 4100 lbs no help in the springs at all (factory) has never bottomed out or thrown me around have hauled the trailer in high cross winds at 55mph (60mph winds) not because of the truck but the trailer moving on the back was not white knuckling while driving.oh also put on some cooper atws with 2863 lbs weight rating per tire.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Looks like you have the Sport trim; so, you are probably over your max payload, or very very close. I'm guessing you have about 1400 pounds payload (check your sticker). That's with nobody inside your truck. Now add you (200 pounds?, wife, kids, dog, luggage...). The negative comments aren't there to make you feel bad, they're there to keep others on the road safe because an accident quite involves more than one vehicle. I don't care if you wreck your shiny new wheels, but I care if you lose control and smash into me or others.

General rule; 5th wheels absolutely require a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull. It's not about engine or towing power, it's about how much weight can you dump in your truck before your suspension, axles, or tires just give up or become squirrely enough that you can no longer control the truck.

You definitely need to get a different truck, or just travel alone inside it with no passengers or luggage.
thanks for the info ill head out right now and buy an f550

VernDiesel

Reaction score
If his scale slip says he in not over his axles or GVWR then he should be safe stable & reliable with that 5th wheel and his 1500 for miles and miles and miles. If it hurt your narrative that no "1/2 ton" has any business towing any 5er than thats your problem and it doesn't sound like he is going to make it his. 633,000 miles on my 4th gen 1500 diesel towing Airstreams other TTs and boats commercially nationwide from the Mfgrs to their dealerships. Mostly bumper pulls but I do also have a turnover ball and GN adapter for smaller lighter GN & 5er loads. Really the people who way over value being slightly over a payload sticker are somewhat disheartening from the standpoint of having such an overly legalistic mindset and lack of understanding of the spirit of the law, common sense, and actual experience. Many of these people also have no idea about the why and what constitutes a safe tow setup the need safety & stability for proper weigh distribution axles & receiver ratings CVWR tire ratings driving practices but by gawd they can parrot what they read about the need to comply with a payload sticker.

silver billet

Reaction score
If his scale slip says he in not over his axles or GVWR then he should be safe stable & reliable with that 5th wheel and his 1500 for miles and miles and miles. If it hurt your narrative that no "1/2 ton" has any business towing any 5er than thats your problem and it doesn't sound like he is going to make it his. 633,000 miles on my 4th gen 1500 diesel towing Airstreams other TTs and boats commercially nationwide from the Mfgrs to their dealerships. Mostly bumper pulls but I do also have a turnover ball and GN adapter for smaller lighter GN & 5er loads. Really the people who way over value being slightly over a payload sticker are somewhat disheartening from the standpoint of having such an overly legalistic mindset and lack of understanding of the spirit of the law, common sense, and actual experience. Many of these people also have no idea about the why and what constitutes a safe tow setup the need safety & stability for proper weigh distribution axles & receiver ratings CVWR tire ratings driving practices but by gawd they can parrot what they read about the need to comply with a payload sticker.

I don't think you really read my posts. For a start, I'm asserting (and asking him to confirm) whether he is actually over his limit, because there is a very high probability that he is far exceeding his payload. Secondly, I said "its a general rule, 5th wheels require a 3/4 ton". Which it is.

As for it being "my business", of course it is. Because there is no endless supply of clueless dolts that pony up their half ton to a trailer that is way over their capability, and then end up wrecking innocent cars and trucks who just happen to be near them when they lose control of their s__t. Like I said, I don't care if you guys want to wreck your own equipment, knock yourself out. But I care about the other people you take out with them.

Those ratings are there for a reason. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if there was any way Ram could make those stickers appear better, they would. It's an extremely competitive field, and every pound over the competition is a win. So when the payload says X pounds, going over that and just pooh-poohing it is quite... stupid.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those ratings are there for a reason. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if there was any way Ram could make those stickers appear better, they would.
Normally I would agree with you about higher payload ratings. BUT then I see the new eco-diesel trucks are rated for an extra hundred pounds of GVWR over the hemi. Even saw that for an air suspension eco-diesel truck. As far as I know Ram didn’t change the air suspension, axles, tires, wheels or frame to handle that extra hundred pounds. The axle ratings haven’t changed, just the GVWR.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Manufacturers weight ratings are "recommended" and are a CYA number. I have towed all kinds and weights over 40+ years of away from home construction jobs. I did indeed push the envelope at times, but not once had a problem. But you can bet when I was over, I was AWAKE at the wheel and paying attention. From '05 till '18, I towed with a 2500 Duramax, and scaled at 22500# and never worried once. The only thing I did to help the truck was that I bagged it. Yes I was well over the manufactures recommended weight, but I never felt the truck complain ore even flinch. I also didn't pull at 70+mph, but at a very reasonable 55/60. Just remember, if it doesn't feel safe to you personally, don't do it.

silver billet

Reaction score
Normally I would agree with you about higher payload ratings. BUT then I see the new eco-diesel trucks are rated for an extra hundred pounds of GVWR over the hemi. Even saw that for an air suspension eco-diesel truck. As far as I know Ram didn’t change the air suspension, axles, tires, wheels or frame to handle that extra hundred pounds. The axle ratings haven’t changed, just the GVWR.

I can't seem to find any numbers on the 2020's, if you have some links available I would love to see them.

But regardless, my comments on this have been made under a few assumptions:
1) his payload (as per doorjamb) is probably < 1400 pounds.
2) he is carrying his wife and some luggage, maybe a kid or two (average scenario, I know nothing about him personally), plus the hitch for a 5th wheel (what is that, 75 to 100 pounds right there just for the hitch?)

So add that all up. Under those assumptions (which are not out of line at all), he is probably a few hundred pounds over his payload. Maybe even 400 to 500 pounds over. That's a very stupid thing to do, and he knows it; his very first comment was about him expecting negative feedback, well no kidding. There is a reason why, ever thought about what you're doing and done the math?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ahh the payload wars. "Is this safe to tow" or "Can my truck tow this" are a common theme across all truck and rv forums. There's basically 2 camps (with a couple outliers).
One camp is that you need a heavy tow vehicle, bigger is better so that the proverbial "tail doesn't wag the dog".
The other camp are the guys who believe that a comfy ride 95+% of the time is more important, they also believe that American trucks are over-engineered and have a safety margin.
And then there's the outliers who simply don't care what's safe, they will tow or haul (as in the case of truck campers) whatever they darn well please, and limits/laws or others can pound sand.

This will never be resolved unless big brother starts enforcing weight limits like they do for commercial entities. That likely won't happen unless there's a few spectacular fatal wrecks due to overloaded rigs, or the government sees an opportunity to collect more fees based on citations and licenses. Currently several states make it very hard on small business owners like landscapers and freight haulers (hotshot or such) by stopping them for DOT checks and weighing their trucks/vans/trailers. Will that eventually bleed over into the rv and boat hauler market? Possibly, as governments, under the guise of "safety", start revamping their laws.

I trailered up in Canada a few years back and the RCMP had roadside checks (the Kootenays in BC) and were spot checking hitches, safety chains, weights and lights/brakes. Might just happen here...

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any numbers on the 2020's, if you have some links available I would love to see them.

Here’s a link to the 2020 Towing Guide which lists all the rating information. We’ve seen some payload door stickers as well in the “Please post your tire & loading sticker“ thread. You’ll see in the guide that the eco-diesel trucks magically get an additional 100 GVWR in most configurations and up to 300 more GVWR in some configurations.

While I would never tow grossly overloaded and I am quite diligent about staying within all the legal weight limits, I will say this about the guy towing the 5th wheel;

- He’s been to the scales
- He stated his payload is 1652 and that his hitch weighs 40
- He upgraded his tires
- He stated that he is within GAWR ratings

silver billet

Reaction score
Here’s a link to the 2020 Towing Guide which lists all the rating information. We’ve seen some payload door stickers as well in the “Please post your tire & loading sticker“ thread. You’ll see in the guide that the eco-diesel trucks magically get an additional 100 GVWR in most configurations and up to 300 more GVWR in some configurations.

While I would never tow grossly overloaded and I am quite diligent about staying within all the legal weight limits, I will say this about the guy towing the 5th wheel;

- He’s been to the scales
- He stated his payload is 1652 and that his hitch weighs 40
- He upgraded his tires
- He stated that he is within GAWR ratings

I can't make heads or tails out of that document, looks like a lot of repeating rows in there with the same data. What does appear to be consistent is that the 3.6 has less GVWR than the hemi, which again has less than the ED. I couldn't tell you why, but it would probably be a mistake to assume you can just ignore your own payload sticker. So I don't see how this document changes the argument any; his truck is rated for payload of X, and he is (by his own admission) over that.

And admittedly I missed that post where he posted his hitch weight.

So... He's been to the scales, done the math, and stated in the same post: "I know I'm overweight". That just makes it worse, frankly.

It's extremely obvious that his truck is not big enough. I don't even know why we're discussing this. Personally I wouldn't even go past 85% of the limit (both payload + GCVWR, but that's just me. Again keep in mind how competitive this field is, and how these manufacturers were fibbing the numbers on towing just a few years ago before settling on the current standard. If there was any (safe) way to make the trucks look bigger and more powerful, they definitely would. So going past the limits should never be encouraged or hand-waved away.

If you have the money to do this, to buy a new truck and pull a good 5th wheel, you have the money to do it properly. So maybe buy a used 2500/3500 instead of a new 1500, or get a lower trimmed model etc etc. There is no excuse for it.

The cowboy's on this thread are going to hurt somebody one day.

Users who are viewing this thread