5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How’s your 2019 Ram running? Take our poll!

Did any of the following systems function improperly, or require repair?

• Total voters

Kenny4

Reaction score
It's an older, 04 Cherokee I purchased in 04. It has the 4.0 straight 6. It went out at 60K. The replacement was definitely a remanufactured crate engine. That's why I am curious as to what these guys are getting when they say, " they gave me a new engine ". Somehow I don't think they are getting a fresh brand new Hemi straight from the factory. Although I hope I am mistaken.

coolidge

Reaction score
2021 Rebel and after 1,200 miles the only issue is a loud squeak every time I shift in the seat and pull out a bit more seatbelt. It's coming from the seatbelt roller up near my left ear. I'll get in there with some WD40 or something soon. Been that way since new.

sparki123

Reaction score
I'm two months into ownership and love driving my Longhorn. It performs as advertised and towed my enclosed car trailer to a track event with no problem.

I do have several annoying gremlins, that are entirely related to electronics. These started from day one and I pointed them out to dealer before signing paperwork.

Here are the error messages I've received very regularly.
  • Service Electronic Throttle Control
  • Rear Parksense Temporarily Unavailable
  • Trailer Steering Unavailable
After dealership intervention, the Service Electronic Throttle Control message appears much less frequently (but not never). The other two, however, happen nearly every drive. The few times I've actually tried to use the trailer steering function, it's never worked. This isn't a big deal since I know how to reverse my trailer using mirrors, but I still have no first-hand experience with this feature because its never worked.

Two other electronic gremlins don't post error messages, but the errors are apparent.
  • Cameras (rear & surround) don't function upon request (either shifting into R or calling up surround via the display). This occurs roughly 25% of the time and it can happen within the same ignition cycle that it worked properly already. So far, this has been remedied by turning the truck off and back on again. Inconvenient at best and dangerous at worst.
  • When using CarPlay, it doesn't always allow me to play audio from the regular radio (XM/FM/AM).
The driving and functionality of the truck has been perfect, so I'd rather have electronic gremlins than drivetrain gremlins. But for a $70k luxury truck, you do expect the full features to work properly.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I have two of the same issues with my new Limited which is just over one week old. None of these issues appeared for the first week and today "service Electronic Throttle Control" and Rear Parksense Temporarily Unavailable" appeared. I have not needed to hitch my trailer so can't comment if trailer steering is also not working. I will be visiting my dealership tomorrow. Please post any updates if you get these permanently taken care of. Thanks and good luck!

sparki123

Reaction score
I'm two weeks into ownership of my 2021 Limited and unfortunately I have to report that my vehicle had to spend a few hours at the dealership today to investigate electronic issues. Both these messages appeared at the same time: "service Electronic Throttle Control" and "Rear Parksense Temporarily Unavailable". The dealership found three codes referring to the Trailer Reverse Steering Control and after further deeper analysis reported that the Trailer Reverse Steering Control control module appears to be "dead"/unresponsive. They are now ordering the part, but indicated this might take some time as this is a new feature on the 2021 model year. The vehicle drives fine, but this is a disappointing experience for a brand new vehicle. Aside from that, it does not help RAM brand advertising since my friends and colleagues are asking me how my new vehicle is performing and there is genuine shock and surprise that it is already in the shop needing repair :-(

Last edited:

Ramster

Reaction score
Cab leak somewhere above the rear window today. Drop of water hanging off the upper trim so when I felt the headliner above it was wet. Waiting on service to call back now.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm two weeks into ownership of my 2021 Limited and unfortunately I have to report that my vehicle had to spend a few hours at the dealership today to investigate electronic issues. Both these messages appeared at the same time: "service Electronic Throttle Control" and "Rear Parksense Temporarily Unavailable". The dealership found three codes referring to the Trailer Reverse Steering Control and after further deeper analysis reported that the Trailer Reverse Steering Control control module appears to be "dead"/unresponsive. They are now ordering the part, but indicated this might take some time as this is a new feature on the 2021 model year. The vehicle drives fine, but this is a disappointing experience for a brand new vehicle. Aside from that, it does not help RAM brand advertising since my friends and colleagues are asking me how my new vehicle is performing and there is genuine shock and surprise that it is already in the shop needing repair :-(
Hi @sparki123, we certainly regret to hear that you are experiencing these concerns in the beginning of your new vehicle ownership! Please send our team a private message with your VIN. We would be happy to assist by escalating a case on your behalf and getting this part delivered to your dealer sooner!
Cab leak somewhere above the rear window today. Drop of water hanging off the upper trim so when I felt the headliner above it was wet. Waiting on service to call back now.
We are sorry for the trouble, @Ramster. If you are in need of additional support throughout your dealer service, our team is only a private message away and more than willing to assist!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Chrysler Factory Warranty

Mopar Vehicle Protection
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If you're having any problems with it or foresee any in the future, then maybe it's time to invest in an extended warranty.

Raydar

Reaction score
Purchased in June of 2019. ~22K on the odo.
The only real issues I've had with mine are with the entertainment system continuously resetting when I plug my iPod Touch into the USB. It worked okay, once, and the next time I drove it, it started this resetting BS. They ought to do better than that. In contrast, my ancient iPod Nano works just about flawlessly, through the USB, with the possible exception of the music track title randomly not advancing on the radio display.
The only other issue I've noticed is that, a few days ago, I shut off the engine and heard a scraping/squeaking noise after the engine shut off. Almost sounded like a noisy clutch fan, except that the Ram has electric fans, so who knows? Hasn't done it since then.

I suppose that the 4WD front axle harness getting chewed in half is not Ram's fault, although the "service 4WD" light coming on will give you a bit of a heart palpitation - especially if you happen to need 4WD at that exact moment. With that said, it was a relatively inexpensive fix, and only took a day to get the replacement harness, once I figured out the correct part #.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have to add the wiper arms to the list.. they decided to get into a fight while I was going down the highway at 70+.. right hit the left, left retaliated, and eventually the right one won.. left went down for the count somewhere below the view of the windshield. Swear it all happened before I could even turn them off.

RAM told me it would take them 2 days to get to it, so I pulled the cap off.. the the whole thing was finger tight. Readjusted and tightened it back down. Seem to be working fine now.

Quality product they built..

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's an older, 04 Cherokee I purchased in 04. It has the 4.0 straight 6. It went out at 60K. The replacement was definitely a remanufactured crate engine. That's why I am curious as to what these guys are getting when they say, " they gave me a new engine ". Somehow I don't think they are getting a fresh brand new Hemi straight from the factory. Although I hope I am mistaken.
That's what they'd use with that many miles, not a brand new engine
I've noticed several posts like this stating, " a new engine replacement ". I'm curious, is it a new engine, ( like a brand new factory one ) or is it a remanufactured crate engine like you would purchase elsewhere. I had a Grand Cherokee that they said was getting a new engine and the paperwork that came with the crate showed clearly that it was a remanufactured one. Again, just curious. Thanks

If you're in the 3/36,000, you'd get a new factory engine, outside that, you're getting a reman.

sparki123

Reaction score
Hi @sparki123, we certainly regret to hear that you are experiencing these concerns in the beginning of your new vehicle ownership! Please send our team a private message with your VIN. We would be happy to assist by escalating a case on your behalf and getting this part delivered to your dealer sooner!

We are sorry for the trouble, @Ramster. If you are in need of additional support throughout your dealer service, our team is only a private message away and more than willing to assist!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Thank you for reaching out Kathryn. My local dealership were able to get the part fast shipped and they replaced the Trailer Reverse Steering Control module. It took a couple of hours to replace, but my truck is now fixed.

Jooce01

Reaction score
2019 Laramie.
- Body: Rear cab leak. Currently at the dealership waiting.
- Suspension: Only issue is the squealing brakes. Took 4 trips to get it resolved though.
- Engine: Bad fuel injector on cylinder 6. Had the flashing engine light and had to coast to the dealer. Took 3 trips to get it repaired.
- Electronics: Bad switch on the drivers side window (randomly will spaz out up and down repeatedly before stopping). They still can't repeat it, so I have to live with it. Uconnect will sometimes just stop playing noise. Have to pull over and shut the truck off to reset.

Overall I have tons of concerns with the QC when built, and the ability of (at least my) dealership to service it. I won't be buying Ram again.

S. Snake

Reaction score
2019 Rebel, at around 43k miles had a minor leak from the weep hole on the water pump (5.7 no E-tq). Temps peaked at around 219*F during highway driving while I took it to the local dealer. Have extended warranty from Toyota (bought my truck used) but FCA covered it under 60k powertrain warranty and gave me a loaner for a week. RAM replaced the water pump, coolant and radiator cap. Temps back to about 206*F during highway driving. 2000 miles later and still going strong.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Driver side headliner squeak, there was a little void near where it arcs to the driver window top, stereo or road vibrations made it squeaky, stuffed a piece of muffler packing from a dirt bike exhaust in there and no more squeak.

Drive side passenger door hinge squeaks, applied silicone grease to the plastic guide thingy, still squeaks, delrin or plastic bearings look intact on hinge but maybe dried out or dusty. Haven't solved that one yet.

Driver window sometimes gremlins out like the one touch is fighting itself, but it's very quick and doesn't persist. Pretty sure it's happened enough times that it's not just my fat finger's operator error.

30k miles and very very minor issues. Very happy with truck, would buy again, recommend to friends.

SirRobbin

Reaction score
Almost 2 years and 16k miles later still no real issues. Last summer the usb hub went out. Dealer fixed but I think they forgot to plug the CD player back in. I never use it so never tested it but the one time I tried no power to it lol. Taking it in Friday for the floor mat recall lol so I’m having them check the CD player. Other than that the only thing I can complain about is backing out of my driveway in the morning the rear brakes sound like a garbage truck. It’s the only time they make any noise but they sound horrible at 4am. I just chalk it up to the truck being grumpy because it’s so early lol

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just rolled over 30K. Had a few minor issues (squeaky break pedal, noise in driver seat back, cluck in front end) Most of the noises went away on thier own. The clunk in the front end was gone after I had a minor fender bender, I guess the body shop fixed what ever it was for me as they only replaced the bumper no suspension damage. Truck is running great and holding up well. Interior still looks new, cloth seats seem to be of really good quality.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Laramie, CC, 4x4, 6-4 bed, Black Crystal with Night Edition. See Signature for full build.

4400 miles since Dec 1, 2020 Delivery. No a single problem. 750 mile trip to Newport News VA
from Nashua, NH. 27.4 MPG on a 33 Gal tank. Refueled when I got there. I believe the MPG
would have been higher with the Summer Diesel Blend and some loosening of the new tight engine.

Malodave

TMacATL

Reaction score
Came back on here after a couple of years since I signed up to see if others have the issues I have.

2019 Laramie CC, 4x4, short bed w/ 8.4" Nav, tow group, and a few random things like the fender liners, etc... Currently sitting at around 25k miles

I've had quite a few problems and been to multiple dealers with varying levels of success:
  • clicking noise coming from front driver tire. Dealer has replaced tie rod and torque checked everything, but noise is still there but their only solution was "cannot diagnose". I suspect it's the wheel bearing but at this point I figure I'll have to wait for it to get worse before I try again.
  • Backup camera has varying degrees of green lines on the screen almost every morning. The issue is it mainly does it when its cold out and goes away when I've driven the truck for a little while. It's been to 3 dealers "cannot replicate"
  • uConnect freezes - will go to blue screen and then resets itself while i'm driving. Whole process takes about 5 minutes and during that time music will continue to play but I'm unable to turn it off or down (real fun if I'm using nav or get a phone call). It only occurs occasionally (about once a week) so the dealer has been unable to replicate it even though i've taken video on my phone when it happens
  • wind buffeting with the mirrors - this seems to happen mostly when i'm driving in to a headwind but looks like this is pretty normal with these trucks. I've tried with the dealer but it's tough to replicate since it really requires a 10mph+ headwind to replicate on a regular basis
  • squeaky center console - repaired at dealer
  • leaking antenna - repaired at dealer. declined to replace waterstained headliner
  • rattling door panel - some of the clips were broken from the factory. I thought one dealer had fixed this, but the rattling came back about 6 months later. Took it to another dealer who said the first dealer just tried to glue the panel back on with some rtv. Second dealer replaced and so far so good.
  • Probably mostly unrelated but worth a shot: MPG: my non-towing, empty bed average is 11.5 mpg mixed city/highway driving. It's a big truck so I definitely don't drive it like a hot rod. Loaded with a ~7k lbs trailer I average about 7.5 mpg. This is one of my biggest gripes. Even with cruise set at 70 and the windows up on the highway I don't see anywhere near the EPA numbers. I'm not sure if this is a me problem or if anyone else is actually seeing close the to the EPA numbers. We're usually pretty close on my wife's Toyota so I was a little surprised to see this one so far below in real world conditions.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my older 4x4 RAMs, a clicking from the front wheels turned out to be the universals,
or hub bearings.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread