5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn when exiting

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Doubt it's in the horn settings in alfa. It'd be related to the proximity entry/exit.

Thank God my 2019 doesn't have it. My kids Focus had it, I disabled it with Forscan.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Modstang

Reaction score
Curious if anyone found a solution? My 22 does not have an option on the 5 to turn it off, hopefully AlphaOBD has an option or there’s a factory update.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have another FOB in the truck? It also does this if you leave the key in it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have another FOB in the truck? It also does this if you leave the key in it.
That’s not the reason these 2022 trucks are doing it. It’s because it’s a new safety feature they added for 2022 to have the horn chirp if the vehicle is left running when the fob leaves the vehicle, in case the owner is unaware that they left the vehicle running. Because of the carbon monoxide deaths from this happening in people’s attached gararages, there’s legislation that been introduced that is most likely going to lead to NHTSA to issue a final ruling that all push button start vehicles are going to have to have some sort of safeguard for that situation.
I’ve been all through the BCM settings of a 2022, and there’s no way to turn this off. I believe it’s just built into the RF Hub programming, which isn’t configurable.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not the reason these 2022 trucks are doing it. It’s because it’s a new safety feature they added for 2022 to have the horn chirp if the vehicle is left running when the fob leaves the vehicle, in case the owner is unaware that they left the vehicle running. Because of the carbon monoxide deaths from this happening in people’s attached gararages, there’s legislation that been introduced that is most likely going to lead to NHTSA to issue a final ruling that all push button start vehicles are going to have to have some sort of safeguard for that situation.
I’ve been all through the BCM settings of a 2022, and there’s no way to turn this off. I believe it’s just built into the RF Hub programming, which isn’t configurable.
Make a report to alfaobd [email protected] , it may need an update to "see" the 2022 options. The RF hub is programmable, you need to see the dealer for a PIN. but again, if the option isn't in alphaobd yet, there's no procedure you can use to change it. It doesn't pull them from the computer, they are all programmed in.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yep. Our Subaru beeps three times when you leave the vehicle running with the fob in your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beeping with keyfob in pocket when running has another purpose other than a possible carbon monoxide safety item.

Here's the scenario: you start the truck for your wife, load the bags, she gets in, she drives off...while you have the fob in your pocket. She gets halfway to her mother's place and stops for gas. Now she's immobilized...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Make a report to alfaobd [email protected] , it may need an update to "see" the 2022 options. The RF hub is programmable, you need to see the dealer for a PIN. but again, if the option isn't in alphaobd yet, there's no procedure you can use to change it. It doesn't pull them from the computer, they are all programmed in.
I’ve been talking to Alexey quite a bit about this (and a few other things he’s working on adding) since this feature was discovered on the HDs a few moths ago. He’s come to the conclusion that it’s not a configurable feature, just like remote tailgate release and remote lowering is not configurable- ie, they are programmed into the RF hub with no way for the dealer tool to change it, and no way for alfaOBD to do it. The PIN for the RF Hub is useless for AlfaOBD since it’s not static anymore on the 5th gens.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Beeping with keyfob in pocket when running has another purpose other than a possible carbon monoxide safety item.

Here's the scenario: you start the truck for your wife, load the bags, she gets in, she drives off...while you have the fob in your pocket. She gets halfway to her mother's place and stops for gas. Now she's immobilized...
Nope, the sole purpose of the feature is to alert you that the vehicle is still running.
There’s already a different feature for your scenario- that would be the dinging inside and the message that displays every 10 seconds that the fob has left the vehicle. That would give the person more than enough chances to turn around and return to the fob before shutting the vehicle down.

Dknewton

Reaction score
I understand the purpose, but why does it have to be the full horn honk. A quieter chirp would be much more welcome to the neighbors. I have noticed that if you don't fully close the door it doesn't honk. So, (when I remember) I'll push the door just enough to catch the first latch, but not all the way. The downside is that you can't remotely lock it if the door isn't fully closed. Or I can keep the other fob in the console and it won't honk.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
The most annoying thing about the '22's. Lol every time I get out of the truck to get the kids in or out, work, mail, hunting. Pisses me off every time.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it is a safety issue letting you know the fob has left the truck

it can not be turned off.

been too many cases where people leave a vehicle running with a child inside and it either gets stolen or the child puts the vehicle in gear and causes a crash.
Again- the feature where the horn honks 3 times when leaving the vehicle running, and exiting with the fob has nothing to do with reminding you the fob has left the vehicle, or vehicles getting stolen, etc.

The SOLE purpose of the feature is to remind you that the vehicle is still running, because it doesn’t know if you are briefly stepping away, or if you parked the vehicle in an attached garage and forgot to shut the vehicle off. It has been implemented by multiple vehicle manufacturers to prevent carbon monoxide deaths from people parking in their garages, that are attached to the living quarters of the house, and forget to turn off their vehicles.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Again- the feature where the horn honks 3 times when leaving the vehicle running, and exiting with the fob has nothing to do with reminding you the fob has left the vehicle, or vehicles getting stolen, etc.

The SOLE purpose of the feature is to remind you that the vehicle is still running, because it doesn’t know if you are briefly stepping away, or if you parked the vehicle in an attached garage and forgot to shut the vehicle off. It has been implemented by multiple vehicle manufacturers to prevent carbon monoxide deaths from people parking in their garages, that are attached to the living quarters of the house, and forget to turn off their vehicles.
gee that was what i said!!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
gee that was what i said!!
Actually, here is exactly what you said:
it is a safety issue letting you know the fob has left the truck

it can not be turned off.
No, it is not a safety issue letting you know the fob has left the truck.
You are correct that it can not be turned off, though.
been too many cases where people leave a vehicle running with a child inside and it either gets stolen or the child puts the vehicle in gear and causes a crash.
No, it has not been implemented because there have been too many cases where people leave a vehicle running with a child inside and it either gets stolen or the child puts the vehicle in gear and causes a crash.
It has been implemented because of carbon monoxide deaths.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Actually, here is exactly what you said:

No, it is not a safety issue letting you know the fob has left the truck.
You are correct that it can not be turned off, though.

No, it has not been implemented because there have been too many cases where people leave a vehicle running with a child inside and it either gets stolen or the child puts the vehicle in gear and causes a crash.
It has been implemented because of carbon monoxide deaths.
yes it was do some research

do you know why there are seat belts in vehicles?

it is not because the manufactures care about you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread