5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn when exiting

Milkman424m

Reaction score
So I jump out of my truck a lot on job sites. I tend to leave it running because it’s cold out and I’m only out a few minutes. However if I leave it running and key is in my pocket it honks 3 times. How do I disable this?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What year is your truck and is it the 8" or 12" screen ?
There should be a setting in Uconnect for that . Mine doesn't have that setting nor does it honk at me . It just beeps inside the truck saying key fob not detected .

Milkman424m

Reaction score
What year is your truck and is it the 8" or 12" screen ?
There should be a setting in Uconnect for that . Mine doesn't have that setting nor does it honk at me . It just beeps inside the truck saying key fob not detected .
2022 with the 8.4 and I see no setting for this. Figured it Is some hidden ordeal like disabling the seat belt chime

Milkman424m

Reaction score
There should be a setting under remote start . That's where I found mine .
I see nothing and dealer isn’t able to figure it out either. I don’t want to just cut the power to horn but it’s getting rather annoying haha

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I jump out of my truck a lot on job sites. I tend to leave it running because it’s cold out and I’m only out a few minutes. However if I leave it running and key is in my pocket it honks 3 times. How do I disable this?
This is just out of curiosity , but do you have the tire fill alert on ? If you uncheck that in the settings and it stops doing it that will at least give the dealer some good info as to where the problem is .

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3 honks is the response the fobiksafe system will give letting you know there is a fob in the vehicle if you try to lock it. It should also unlock the doors when it honks. Not sure if that's why you are getting the honks, but you don't by chance have the spare fob inside somewhere do you? Is it honking as soon as the door shuts, or is it delayed and only once you are out of range of the proximity antennas? Perhaps this is something new on the 22's, my 21 only gives the dinging in the cab if I walk away while it's still running.

Milkman424m

Reaction score
3 honks is the response the fobiksafe system will give letting you know there is a fob in the vehicle if you try to lock it. It should also unlock the doors when it honks. Not sure if that's why you are getting the honks, but you don't by chance have the spare fob inside somewhere do you? Is it honking as soon as the door shuts, or is it delayed and only once you are out of range of the proximity antennas? Perhaps this is something new on the 22's, my 21 only gives the dinging in the cab if I walk away while it's still running.
It’s as soon as I get out and close door. Like it’s a reminder then engine is running

Milkman424m

Reaction score
There is no fob in vehicle

Milkman424m

Reaction score
Basically I have the fob in my pocket, want to go grab mail or something fast and it will honk at me everytime. Truck in Park, engine running and I walk away

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Basically I have the fob in my pocket, want to go grab mail or something fast and it will honk at me everytime. Truck in Park, engine running and I walk away
That's strange. Perhaps it's something new on the 22's. The 3 honks is how fobiksafe responds when a fob is left in the truck and you attempt to lock it, but I wonder if they added this in addition to the interior chiming, or if there is a bug with something.

One way to see if it is fobiksafe causing it, would be disabling it using alfaOBD if you have access to it or know someone that does.

Are you locking the doors when you exit momentarily? If not, try locking them and see if it responds any differently.

It's helpful in getting the best responses if people know how your truck is equipped. If you get a moment, create a signature with your truck's details like you see others have done so we know what kind of options your truck may/may not have which could help tailor responses better.

Milkman424m

Reaction score
That's strange. Perhaps it's something new on the 22's. The 3 honks is how fobiksafe responds when a fob is left in the truck and you attempt to lock it, but I wonder if they added this in addition to the interior chiming, or if there is a bug with something.

One way to see if it is fobiksafe causing it, would be disabling it using alfaOBD if you have access to it or know someone that does.

Are you locking the doors when you exit momentarily? If not, try locking them and see if it responds any differently.

It's helpful in getting the best responses if people know how your truck is equipped. If you get a moment, create a signature with your truck's details like you see others have done so we know what kind of options your truck may/may not have which could help tailor responses better.
I get out with truck running for 4 seconds….it starts beeping unless I leave fob in truck

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a new feature for 2022, which other manufacturers have been doing for years. It’s just to remind you that the engine is still running, since it can’t determine if you are just leaving the vehicle for a few minutes, or if you parked it in a garage attached to a house and forgot to shut the vehicle off. There’s no way to disable via native truck settings, and I don’t see a way to disable it via AlfaOBD.

Milkman424m

Reaction score
It’s a new feature for 2022, which other manufacturers have been doing for years. It’s just to remind you that the engine is still running, since it can’t determine if you are just leaving the vehicle for a few minutes, or if you parked it in a garage attached to a house and forgot to shut the vehicle off. There’s no way to disable via native truck settings, and I don’t see a way to disable it via AlfaOBD.
Well damn, it’s rather annoying. Maybe they will do an update or something for that haha

Montag84

Reaction score
Well damn, it’s rather annoying. Maybe they will do an update or something for that haha
I agree, I jump in and out with it running to get the kids in and out, groceries, etc. Would be nice to disable it.

alexharrel

Reaction score
Following this post cause I just added a 22 tradesman to my work truck lineup and it’s annoying af leaving it running and jumping out and the horn honks 3 times. My 21 tradesman does not do this. My 21 tradesman has the Uconnect 3 but my 22 has the Uconnect 5 and neither one have the option to enable/disable this. I’ve tried disabling all other horn functionality besides cutting the horn wiring and it still does this. Surely Ram did this as a litigious safety thing and not as a “feature.”

Last edited:

tech97elec

Reaction score
It’s as soon as I get out and close door. Like it’s a reminder then engine is running
Funny your asking this, happened to me this morning walking from one side of truck to other. Subscribed, like to get rid of that too

Users who are viewing this thread