5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn when exiting

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The horn honking doesn’t have anything to do with situations you are describing. The only reason they implemented it is to prevent carbon monoxide deaths. People not familiar with push button start technology have parked their vehicles in attached garages, forgot to shut the vehicle off when exiting, don’t realize the vehicle is still running (for whatever reason), and died in their house because of exhaust fumes. The only purpose for the horn honks is an audible reminder that if they’re not leaving the vehicle running on purpose, to go back and shut it off.
You are describing deliberate actions you have to take to keep an unattended vehicle running, and preventing someone from driving off with it, and that’s not what the horn honks are all about.
Sounds like they need new weatherstripping on the door to the garage. Mine is trashed but can't smell brake clean and gasoline frome the garage to the kitchen

Dewey

Reaction score
People who forget to turn off their trucks and die of exhaust fumes are just part of the law of natural selection. You can’t fix stupid no matter how many ridiculous safety features you add.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People who forget to turn off their trucks and die of exhaust fumes are just part of the law of natural selection. You can’t fix stupid no matter how many ridiculous safety features you add.
What about other people/family members in the residence? Should they pay the ultimate price for someone else’s “stupidity”, or mistake?

Dewey

Reaction score
What about other people/family members in the residence? Should they pay the ultimate price for someone else’s “stupidity”, or mistake?
I think you know the obvious answer there. Fact is no matter how far you go to make something idiot proof along comes a bigger idiot. It’s a good thing the internal combustion engine will be gone soon. So many lives will be saved.🙄

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then it should be an option that can be enabled/disabled. That way if someone thinks they need to be saved from themselves, then they can turn on the option. The rest of us don’t need it. The backup sensors can be disabled, which would allow someone to back up over something or someone. Why not the horn honk?
Pull the fuse to your horn. Problem solved

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or buy a Tazer DT - problem solved. I'm tempted to spend $320 on each of you whiners, just so I don't have to listen to this anymore. :p

Forget the Tazer DT. Just use a taser! :devilish:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or buy a Tazer DT - problem solved. I'm tempted to spend $320 on each of you whiners, just so I don't have to listen to this anymore. :p
Well, in that case, let me jump in.

The horn honking is obnoxious and it makes me furious.

giphy.gif

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
was wondering, if the tazer can turn off the 3 honks non sens, could i just bring my tryck to a garage ans ask them to reprogram that if they have something similar to the tazer...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
was wondering, if the tazer can turn off the 3 honks non sens, could i just bring my tryck to a garage ans ask them to reprogram that if they have something similar to the tazer...
No. The tazer is able to do it, and has to remain plugged in in order to defeat the feature, because it is actively modifying messages on the bus to defeat it.
Unless it’s some type of active message attack that remains connected to the bus, no device will EVER be capable of just plugging in, changing some settings, and unplugging it.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. The tazer is able to do it, and has to remain plugged in in order to defeat the feature, because it is actively modifying messages on the bus to defeat it.
Unless it’s some type of active message attack that remains connected to the bus, no device will EVER be capable of just plugging in, changing some settings, and unplugging it.
thanks

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remotely started my truck with the key fob this morning, walked out of house, got in truck, pressed brake and start. I then realized I forgot something in house got out with truck running, with key in pocket and walked to house. No beeps. This evening I took a ride and when I got home I thought I would check for the 3 beeps. I got out of truck while it was running, walked away, and again no beeps. Horn works on double lock press so it's still works.

The only thing I can possibly think of is I had the oil changed at dealer on 10/3 (free oil changes for life) if maybe they did something. I not complaining, just curious why it stopped working. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Dewey

Reaction score
I remotely started my truck with the key fob this morning, walked out of house, got in truck, pressed brake and start. I then realized I forgot something in house got out with truck running, with key in pocket and walked to house. No beeps. This evening I took a ride and when I got home I thought I would check for the 3 beeps. I got out of truck while it was running, walked away, and again no beeps. Horn works on double lock press so it's still works.

The only thing I can possibly think of is I had the oil changed at dealer on 10/3 (free oil changes for life) if maybe they did something. I not complaining, just curious why it stopped working. Has anyone else seen this happen?
No idea. Wish that happened to mine. Would have saved me the price of a Tazer.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

im jealous lol

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just making sure here…you closed the door after exiting with the fob, right?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just making sure here…you closed the door after exiting with the fob, right?
Wasn't sure so I went out and tried it. Now I feel like an A$$, I have the 3 beeps with the door shut. Thanks, Eighty you nailed it. Both times I must have walked away with the door open.

Michael_D

Reaction score

Does the Tazer work with the 22's yet? I have one that I used for my 2019, but have been resistant to try it in the new truck. This triple horn reminder is aggravating now that it's winter and I leave the truck running when I run into the store, or some other quick stop.

Users who are viewing this thread