5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

Blueraptor

Reaction score
The smallest engine in the F150 is a naturally aspirated v6. Hemi will eat its lunch.
The largest engine in the Ram is a supercharged 6.2 L hellcat in the TRX. It will eat the raptor's lunch.

The hemi could use a power boost, no doubt, if you worry about that kind of thing. It would not surprise me if Ram offers a more powerful engine to non-trx models, but saying they have to catch up on Ford's engine technology is a pretty funny thing to say. FCA is literally the king of big American muscle at this point. No other manufacturer has so many tire shredding V8's available across their entire lineup.

Least powerful engine in the f150 used to be the NA 3.3l V6 Smallest was always the 2.7L EB since it was introduced in 2015. For 2021, I don't believe they still offer the 3.3l NA v6 but I could be wrong because I have not paid much attention to the new truck. (I was wrong, the 3.3L is still offered in 2021)

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The smallest engine in the F150 is a naturally aspirated v6. Hemi will eat its lunch.
The largest engine in the Ram is a supercharged 6.2 L hellcat in the TRX. It will eat the raptor's lunch.

The hemi could use a power boost, no doubt, if you worry about that kind of thing. It would not surprise me if Ram offers a more powerful engine to non-trx models, but saying they have to catch up on Ford's engine technology is a pretty funny thing to say. FCA is literally the king of big American muscle at this point. No other manufacturer has so many tire shredding V8's available across their entire lineup.
All good points for sure. I would never claim that our 5.7 Hemi's are the best and nothing tops them haha. So I think even a slight redesign would go a long way in the Hemi engine. Updated and more refined. I've always wondered if they'll end up doing something to the 3.6 Pentastar like add turbo or supercharger tech to it and call it a Micro Hemi or something 😝

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Least powerful engine in the f150 used to be the NA 3.3l V6 Smallest was always the 2.7L EB since it was introduced in 2015. For 2021, I don't believe they still offer the 3.3l NA v6 but I could be wrong because I have not paid much attention to the new truck. (I was wrong, the 3.3L is still offered in 2021)
I think the issue is you're trying to use physical engine size as a unit for how much power it makes. Which you can't do, obviously, because turbos and superchargers exist. Physical size or displacement is not a useful metric when comparing engine to engine where superchargers and turbos only exist on the one. The engines are designed to make their HP/torque completely differently.

If you're just doing all N/A, then fine, displacement is a really great indicator. Add turbo's, hybrids, NOS etc, it's no longer a good indicator, it just gets you halfway there.

silver billet

Reaction score
In a way. It's a slight of hand by FCA. the HC motors are great, but they are in high priced lower production vehicles that most people cannot afford. They are used to drive showroom, and keep what are relatively very old platforms in the Challenger/Charger, Grand Cherokee and Durango in competitive sales. It has worked like a charm, at least for the Challenger & Charger.

The real issue is that while the tire shredding V8s are great, it has also caused FCA to buy more carbon credits from Tesla than any other automaker, and this part isn't going to get easier. FCA needs to move forward with it's engine technology, which is a big reason for it's merger with PSA. They need to improve their CAFE mix, even with Tesla credits they still paid $80 million in penalties last year.

Now I'm a Ford guy at heart, but I currently drive a RAM Rebel Hemi if that tells you something. So don't get me wrong, I love V8s and the sounds they make. The 5.7L is a sweet spot between GMs 5.3 & 6.2 and Fords 2.7L & 3.5L. The F150 2.7L is faster accelerating than the RAM 5.7L only because it's low end torque power delivery and lighter weight. In terms of towing capabilities, it's superior to the 2.7L. The Hemi is in the "goldilocks zone" in terms of power & price, but wont be forever and FCA cannot simply throw a HC in the 1500 class in the future with CAFE restrictions looming.

I don't really agree, which is fine. I think it's smarter to do incremental upgrades with what they have now, and invest in electric instead of going all out on crappy turbos for a 8+ year future.

They definitely can throw the HC into normal 1500's as well. Like the Chevy 6.2 or the Ford 3.5 Turbo, it won't be a high volume, but will satisfy that need for the "halo engine". And I think they have had plans in the works for years already to turbo charge the pentastar (based on engine design choices they made already years ago in one the refreshes, getting it ready to accept a turbo), which would reduce the need for the hemi. They're not "behind Ford" in technology by any stretch, offerings are different, but that doesn't mean they're behind.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the issue is you're trying to use physical engine size as a unit for how much power it makes. Which you can't do, obviously, because turbos and superchargers exist. Physical size or displacement is not a useful metric when comparing engine to engine where superchargers and turbos only exist on the one. The engines are designed to make their HP/torque completely differently.

If you're just doing all N/A, then fine, displacement is a really great indicator. Add turbo's, hybrids, NOS etc, it's no longer a good indicator, it just gets you halfway there.
Agreed.
The recent (last 10 years) introduction of forced induction into the half ton truck market has moved the primary indicator of a trucks might from the 'cylinder' column to the 'torque' column.

silver billet

Reaction score
All good points for sure. I would never claim that our 5.7 Hemi's are the best and nothing tops them haha. So I think even a slight redesign would go a long way in the Hemi engine. Updated and more refined. I've always wondered if they'll end up doing something to the 3.6 Pentastar like add turbo or supercharger tech to it and call it a Micro Hemi or something 😝
My bet is definitely a turbo 3.6. The pentastar had a recent refresh where it's obvious they're targeting this in the future. The 5.7 hemi came out in 2003, its days are numbered and probably won't see a refreshed/redesigned again.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't really agree, which is fine. I think it's smarter to do incremental upgrades with what they have now, and invest in electric instead of going all out on crappy turbos for a 8+ year future.

They definitely can throw the HC into normal 1500's as well. Like the Chevy 6.2 or the Ford 3.5 Turbo, it won't be a high volume, but will satisfy that need for the "halo engine". And I think they have had plans in the works for years already to turbo charge the pentastar (based on engine design choices they made already years ago in one the refreshes, getting it ready to accept a turbo), which would reduce the need for the hemi. They're not "behind Ford" in technology by any stretch, offerings are different, but that doesn't mean they're behind.

They can of course stick a HC motor in the 1500, especially that it's low volume. Wonder why Jeep is using a 394 in the Wrangler instead of the 5.7L? Because they can't afford the carbon credits of volume V8 in another line of vehicles. The 394 has a "halo" effect on the Wrangler, but not enough volume to hurt their CAFE numbers.

FCA is clearly behind GM and Ford in new technologies, especially electrics. There will be electric and hybrid GM & Ford trucks next year or so, FCA is only thinking about it right now. FCA has currently the best overall truck in my opinion in the 1500 class, but time moves quickly and they are moving slowly right now.

The 3.5L Ecoboost is definitely higher volume than the 6.2L, I would not consider either Halo motors. They are just the top gas offerings by the competition, which FCA doesn't have in the 1500. The Hemi is in the middle spot of the high/low gas mix of the competition. They have nothing decent behind it either, as the Pentastar is similar in spec to the base NA motors from GM and Ford & only makes up 10% of total 1500 sales.

I don't know the answer though, RAM has marketed the 1500 as the V8 Muscle truck choice, and I love it personally. I don't want a 3.6L TT to replace it, maybe to augment it. Maybe a Hemi Hybrid? Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, the 3.3 is still available but they don't consider it a contender with any other half ton truck engine by any means so that's not even worth talking about lol. But as far as the 2.7 Eco vs the Hemi...Hemi squashes the 2.7 in ALMOST all areas, why else would we be on here while driving our Hemi's... especially those that have owned a 2.7 previously. If anyone wants to praise the 2.7 notoriously...go join a Ford pride forum. Lol. There's a reason why you don't see the 2.7 Eco tow up to the top of the mountain at the end of their commercials .
My bet is definitely a turbo 3.6. The pentastar had a recent refresh where it's obvious they're targeting this in the future. The 5.7 hemi came out in 2003, its days are numbered and probably won't see a refreshed/redesigned again.
Makes sense. I don't think they'll ever get rid of the V8 but they may adopt a new V8 engine design. Similar to how Ford dumped the 5.4 Triton for the 5.0 Coyote V8. But if you're thinking about terms of repeatative engine use....look at GM'S 5.3 Vortec...thats been in use for a way longer time than the Hemi.

Blueraptor

Reaction score

My point was that the top engine offered in the Ram 1500, the one that may actually get used as a truck, (not including the TRX or Raptor in Ford's case) struggles to keep up with one of the lower tier engines offered by Ford. I realize the F150 is a much lighter truck and the power delivery of the EB engines is very front loaded when compared to the Hemi. But I also feel that is shows where Ram should be focusing its improvement efforts. If Ram could develop an engine that could put down the power like the EB engines and get similar MPG to them which in my experience was substantially better than the pathetic 12 MPG I get with my Ram, I wouldn't look twice at another F150.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My point was that the top engine offered in the Ram 1500, the one that may actually get used as a truck, (not including the TRX or Raptor in Ford's case) struggles to keep up with one of the lower tier engines offered by Ford. I realize the F150 is a much lighter truck and the power delivery of the EB engines is very front loaded when compared to the Hemi. But I also feel that is shows where Ram should be focusing its improvement efforts. If Ram could develop an engine that could put down the power like the EB engines and get similar MPG to them which in my experience was substantially better than the pathetic 12 MPG I get with my Ram, I wouldn't look twice at another F150.
Then they would be copying Ford. And personally... I've already proven in another thread that I've been getting a solid 23-24 MPG in my Ram Hemi Etorque, so idk why there's such a drastic difference with the Hemi engines between their drivers in regards to MPG, but that's a whole different topic.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
True, the 3.3 is still available but they don't consider it a contender with any other half ton truck engine by any means so that's not even worth talking about lol. But as far as the 2.7 Eco vs the Hemi...Hemi squashes the 2.7 in ALMOST all areas, why else would we be on here while driving our Hemi's... especially those that have owned a 2.7 previously...

Because a truck is more than the motor. It's the outside, inside, ride, conveniences, etc. that also considered. I knew when I saw that red Rebel on the dealer lot, I was going to get it regardless, never drove a new RAM yet at that point.

As for the 2.7L, praising a great motor doesn't mean you hate what you are driving now. The motor was a jewel, in the F150 is was a great package. It doesn't dilute my Rebel that I also feel that way. Nor that I'm driving a clearly slower truck to my previous F150. The Hemi does have higher towing capacity (9,000 vs 11,000) to the 2.7L and sounds amazing in comparison.

Noting these things is the opposite of being a fan boy, it's being an enthusiast instead. I don't get offended or take it personally when something else has something better (in certain ways). Admitting it is a good thing and hopefully will help build even better products in the future.

My wifes 2020 Silverado 5.3L isn't my type of truck, but it had some things I wished my RAM had, nothing on the inside however :)

Last edited:

Blueraptor

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I read an article that said the pentastar was designed with the intention of applying forced induction eventually but when in development they determined that it was not feasible. I don't remember exactly why they stopped, I want to say it was either economics or diminished reliability though. I believe that was why they started development of the GTDI inline six.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because a truck is more than the motor. It's the outside, inside, ride, conveniences, etc. that also considered. I knew when I saw that red Rebel on the dealer lot, I was going to get it regardless, never drove a new RAM yet at that point.

As for the 2.7L, praising a great motor doesn't mean you hate what you are driving now. The motor was a jewel, in the F150 is was a great package. It doesn't dilute my Rebel that I also feel that way. Nor that I'm driving a clearly slower truck to my previous F150. The Hemi does have higher towing capacity (9,000 vs 11,000) to the 2.7L and sounds amazing in comparison.

Noting these things is the opposite of being a fan boy, it's being an enthusiast instead. I don't get offended or take it personally when something else has something better (in certain ways). Admitting it is a good thing and hopefully will help build even better products in the future.

My wifes 2020 Silverado 5.3L isn't my type of truck, but it had some things I wished my RAM had, nothing on the inside however :)
Point taken...I know what you mean about the GM interior. If it wasn't for such a crappy interior I would've gotten that 2020 Trail Boss lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I read an article that said the pentastar was designed with the intention of applying forced induction eventually but when in development they determined that it was not feasible. I don't remember exactly why they stopped, I want to say it was either economics or diminished reliability though. I believe that was why they started development of the GTDI inline six.
That makes sense considering turbo gas engines wear faster than NA engines for sure. Hell...even Ford techs were saying they'd pick their 5.0 over any Ecoboost any day of the week lol.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the 2.7L, praising a great motor doesn't mean you hate what you are driving now. The motor was a jewel, in the F150 is was a great package.
Define 'great'.

As a former 2.7L owner I couldn't stand the peakyness/choppyness of the motor when not under full acceleration.
I've never owned a gasoline turbo that didn't have this unappealing characteristic, and I've had four. On paper the 2.7L is a modern marvel. When accelerating from 30 to 50 mph it's a fantastic experience. But overall the 'heavy feeling' smoothness isn't there with a gas turbo engine in a much lighter vehicle. Not in my experience anyway.

I've become partial to supercharged engines when going the forced induction route. Perfectly linear power delivery, just like N/A but on steroids. I've driven both V6 and V8 supercharged vehicles and they are worlds smoother than turbos under regular driving conditions.

The hemi is SUCH an enjoyable smooth driving experience compared to my 2.7L TT.

I don't think I'll ever buy a gas / DI / Turbo vehicle again. Their inherent characteristics suck if you like a smooth linear driving experience.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Point taken...I know what you mean about the GM interior. If it wasn't for such a crappy interior I would've gotten that 2020 Trail Boss lol.

She is a Chevy farm girl, I'm a Ford city guy, I have no idea how we got together :)

I make fun of the interior of her truck all the time, but she is Chevy blind to fisher price plastics, to her it's great. I agree on the Trail Boss, it's arguably the most attractive truck out there. Once they get that new interior in, it will be hard to beat.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Define 'great'.

As a former 2.7L owner I couldn't stand the peakyness/choppyness of the motor when not under full acceleration.
I've never owned a gasoline turbo that didn't have this unappealing characteristic, and I've had four. On paper the 2.7L is a modern marvel. When accelerating from 30 to 50 mph it's a fantastic experience. But overall the 'heavy feeling' smoothness isn't there with a gas turbo engine in a much lighter vehicle. Not in my experience anyway.

I've become partial to supercharged engines when going the forced induction route. Perfectly linear power delivery, just like N/A but on steroids. I've driven both V6 and V8 supercharged vehicles and they are worlds smoother than turbos under regular driving conditions.

The hemi is SUCH an enjoyable smooth driving experience compared to my 2.7L TT.

I don't think I'll ever buy a gas / DI / Turbo vehicle again. Their inherent characteristics suck if you like a smooth linear driving experience.

I didn't have those issues in the 4 years I had mine. Similar to how some people have great smoothing shifting RAMs and others at the same time complain about jerkiness when slowing down. You got one with issues maybe? Mine was as smooth as my Hemi regardless of speed.

To be honest, the only issue I had with my 2.7L was the sound, it sounded like my old Accord.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I didn't have those issues in the 4 years I had mine. Similar to how some people have great smoothing shifting RAMs and others at the same time complain about jerkiness when slowing down. You got one with issues maybe? Mine was as smooth as my Hemi regardless of speed.

To be honest, the only issue I had with my 2.7L was the sound, it sounded like my old Accord.
The only time I can recall any kind of a peaky feeling was when I had the "Sport" mode turned on. It would accelerate pretty hard with the lightest touch of the throttle then. In normal driving it was pretty smooth in my experience as well. I had a crew cab FX4 with the 3.73 gears and it averaged just over 18-19 MPG overall over the 4 years I owned it. I think I drove that truck a lot harder than I drive my Ram too because that low end power was so much fun. The Hemi does sound a lot better although they both sound like crap on cold starts. The EB engines have clatter from noisy waste gates and the Hemi's have that lifter tick.

silver billet

Reaction score
This thread has moved on so fast I'm not going to bother trying to respond individually. However, my points are:
  1. the hemi is not "behind" the 2.7. In terms of WOT, yes Ram tends to be slower, in terms of linear response, sound, drivability, durability, no.
  2. make sure to compare apples to apples. Ram trucks are much heavier than Ford's, due to Ford's use of aluminim everywhere. This means the Hemi has to pull more weight in their trucks, making Ford's slight advantage in power seem stronger than it is. Course, no getting around the fact that Ford's torque comes on much sooner in RPMs, not denying it, just don't forget about the weight imbalance. If you want to look at where Ram is behind Ford, it would be in making their trucks lighter.
  3. FCA is not behind Ford in terms of gas tech. They have chosen not to offer a turbo in their truck at this time, but they "know how". They build the biggest forced induction V8's around at the moment. They also offer turbos on their tiny cars and suvs. They HAVE the tech and expertise, they choose not to use it. Doesn't mean Ram is behind. Being "behind" would mean, not being able to build it.
  4. FCA is not behind Ford in electric; Ford isn't doing all that work in house, they are partnering with Rivian etc. Ram also came out of nowhere with the etorque system, expect further development on this idea.
Anyway, guess that's just my 2 cents.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This thread has moved on so fast I'm not going to bother trying to respond individually. However, my points are:
  1. the hemi is not "behind" the 2.7. In terms of WOT, yes Ram tends to be slower, in terms of linear response, sound, drivability, durability, no.
  2. make sure to compare apples to apples. Ram trucks are much heavier than Ford's, due to Ford's use of aluminim everywhere. This means the Hemi has to pull more weight in their trucks, making Ford's slight advantage in power seem stronger than it is. Course, no getting around the fact that Ford's torque comes on much sooner in RPMs, not denying it, just don't forget about the weight imbalance. If you want to look at where Ram is behind Ford, it would be in making their trucks lighter.
  3. FCA is not behind Ford in terms of gas tech. They have chosen not to offer a turbo in their truck at this time, but they "know how". They build the biggest forced induction V8's around at the moment. They also offer turbos on their tiny cars and suvs. They HAVE the tech and expertise, they choose not to use it. Doesn't mean Ram is behind. Being "behind" would mean, not being able to build it.
  4. FCA is not behind Ford in electric; Ford isn't doing all that work in house, they are partnering with Rivian etc. Ram also came out of nowhere with the etorque system, expect further development on this idea.
Anyway, guess that's just my 2 cents.

Mostly agree with your except for tech. Of course Ford and GM are working with outside companies, it's the smart thing to do. Doesn't change the fact FCA has not done that. Hence the merger with PSA, in hopes of getting that tasty small engine / electric tech for the future.

Right now, as it sits, FCA is most definitely behind GM and Ford in terms of engine gas tech and electrics. The e-Torque is nothing and all the gas tech you mentioned is big engine hp that won't help them with their CAFE numbers, in fact is hindering them with penalties and paying Tesla off with credits.

Not saying FCA doesn't have the engineering know how to match GM and Ford, it's just that they are behind development right now.

Users who are viewing this thread