5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They're smart enough to keep circulating among the brands, it's in their bias, how they talk about the trucks when it's not a simple measurement like 0 to 60. How does one truck perform offroad vs the other etc. Roman is in love with Ford lol. At least he was when I unsubscribed, it's been over a year since I watched anything from them. Just no point.

Hmmm, maybe in the past before I started watching them?

They are pretty good about talking the negatives and positives of various vehicles, including on their car and motorcycle sites. Their 0-60 test is usually for fun, because it's rather short straight and the times are never realistic to sea level. The car both Roman and his kid most recently seemed the most bias about what a little yellow electric car they seemed to love. A car I never head of to be honest. Roman I don't think currently has a Ford. He has two minis, and a couple of old Japanese 4x4s.

Andre recently did a truck test and he choose the Tundra as his favorite of all things.

I started to subscribe after they got a RAM Rebel for long term test. I even stayed on after they traded it in on a Silverado Trail Boss.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the video worth watching? TFL Truck are such Ford fan fans at this point it's off putting. Roman and Andre especially. Nathan is quite neutral, and Tommy, well, he's a little wet yet.
Tommy wouldn't know what makes a good reliable truck if it bit him in the @$$ lol. That's not even regarding his age either. And I know Nathan has always made a good case for RAM but usually not in a biased way.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the risk of starting yet another ... discussion ... :)

I seriously considered the new Chevy I4. As you mentioned, it's meant to replace the v6, not the 5.3. According to the GM forums, I have yet to read a really negative review from owners (note, "owners"), it is apparently a great engine when expectations are in line with reality. It tows really well (in terms of power, I think they just bumped it up to 9000+ pounds?), and can get pretty good gas mileage. It's not just a car engine that they threw a turbo on. They designed it like a diesel in terms of block, crank and connecting rods, and power delivery; it's built and tuned first and foremost for truck duty.

For normal everyday usage, the worst part would be the sound. The reason I didn't get it is because of my extensive trailer towing, and because Chevy dealers wouldn't work with me in terms of price.

It's certainly not a "manly choice", but I couldn't care less. Most of that is ignorance and swagger. How does it actually perform (very well!) and how does it last (yet to be determined).
Forgot to mention earlier...when I was checking out the Silverado I4 it said towing was at around 7,300 lbs.

silver billet

Reaction score
Forgot to mention earlier...when I was checking out the Silverado I4 it said towing was at around 7,300 lbs.
That was 2019 and 2020. They bumped it up by like 2500 pounds to well into 9000+ now.

silver billet

Reaction score
Oh wow, I wonder what internal changes they made to be able to add that much more

It was cooling related:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/0...eased-towing-capacity-with-these-two-engines/

GM said that it was able to unlock increased towing numbers for the 2.7L L3B engine after additional testing and validation revealed that it “possesses better-than-expected cooling performance.” The improvements to the 3.0L Duramax model’s towing capacity weren’t related to powertrain improvements, but rather the Silverado’s better-than-expected rear axle durability. GM engineers recertified both models under the SAE J2807 standard for 2021 to confirm its increased towing numbers for these two engines,

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online