5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram isn't behind at all. To say they are would be like saying GM is behind because they still use NA engines in their trucks as opposed to turbo engines. The choice to go EV at a certain time later on has nothing to do with them being "behind". I think Rams decision to wait a little longer is a smart idea to see how the market unfolds and then they adjust their strategies accordingly. Business decisions are what it's about.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram isn't behind at all. To say they are would be like saying GM is behind because they still use NA engines in their trucks as opposed to turbo engines. The choice to go EV at a certain time later on has nothing to do with them being "behind". I think Rams decision to wait a little longer is a smart idea to see how the market unfolds and then they adjust their strategies accordingly. Business decisions are what it's about.

You are saying they are behind.

You said they have purposely waited to see how the market unfolds. If that is the case, in doesn't change the fact they are years away from matching Ford, GM, Rivan and Lordstown on EV/Electric on having an actual truck out there with that level of tech.

No one is saying they can't do it, or they don't have the brain power on it, but they are slower to market one. Simple as that, whether a business decision or not, its a hard fact that can't be denied.

As for you GM example, they have a small 4 cylinder turbo in the Silverado and working on hybrid & full EV implementation. So yeah, RAM is behind them as well, and it's not because of their NA engines. For their non-truck stuff, their electric tech is well established.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are saying they are behind.

You said they have purposely waited to see how the market unfolds. If that is the case, in doesn't change the fact they are years away from matching Ford, GM, Rivan and Lordstown on EV/Electric on having an actual truck out there with that level of tech.

No one is saying they can't do it, or they don't have the brain power on it, but they are slower to market one. Simple as that, whether a business decision or not, its a hard fact that can't be denied.

As for you GM example, they have a small 4 cylinder turbo in the Silverado and working on hybrid & full EV implementation. So yeah, RAM is behind them as well, and it's not because of their NA engines. For their non-truck stuff, their electric tech is well established.
Saying that they're behind implies they don't have the "know-how" to establish, build or implement the tech at the moment which is not what I'm saying. But you're correct...I forgot that GM has that I4 turbo now...bunch of sellouts.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Saying that they're behind implies they don't have the "know-how" to establish, build or implement the tech at the moment which is not what I'm saying. But you're correct...I forgot that GM has that I4 turbo now...bunch of sellouts.

Lol, I would never rock a 4 cylinder turbo in my full size. Though that motor is their base motor, replacing the NA V6.

Yes, I tried to make that a point that they are behind "schedule" lets say, for whatever reason, including waiting and seeing, but they have the technical know how to do it.

silver billet

Reaction score
Lol, I would never rock a 4 cylinder turbo in my full size. Though that motor is their base motor, replacing the NA V6.

Yes, I tried to make that a point that they are behind "schedule" lets say, for whatever reason, including waiting and seeing, but they have the technical know how to do it.

At the risk of starting yet another ... discussion ... :)

I seriously considered the new Chevy I4. As you mentioned, it's meant to replace the v6, not the 5.3. According to the GM forums, I have yet to read a really negative review from owners (note, "owners"), it is apparently a great engine when expectations are in line with reality. It tows really well (in terms of power, I think they just bumped it up to 9000+ pounds?), and can get pretty good gas mileage. It's not just a car engine that they threw a turbo on. They designed it like a diesel in terms of block, crank and connecting rods, and power delivery; it's built and tuned first and foremost for truck duty.

For normal everyday usage, the worst part would be the sound. The reason I didn't get it is because of my extensive trailer towing, and because Chevy dealers wouldn't work with me in terms of price.

It's certainly not a "manly choice", but I couldn't care less. Most of that is ignorance and swagger. How does it actually perform (very well!) and how does it last (yet to be determined).

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I seriously considered the new Chevy I4. As you mentioned, it's meant to replace the v6, not the 5.3. According to the GM forums, I have yet to read a really negative review from owners (note, "owners"), it is apparently a great engine when expectations are in line with reality. It tows really well (in terms of power, I think they just bumped it up to 9000+ pounds?), and can get pretty good gas mileage. It's not just a car engine that they threw a turbo on. They designed it like a diesel in terms of block, crank and connecting rods, and power delivery; it's built and tuned first and foremost for truck duty.

For normal everyday usage, the worst part would be the sound. The reason I didn't get it is because of my extensive trailer towing, and because Chevy dealers wouldn't work with me in terms of price.

It's certainly not a "manly choice", but I couldn't care less. Most of that is ignorance and swagger. How does it actually perform (very well!) and how does it last (yet to be determined).

Lol, not at all, you're one of the best debates I've had on this forum, I welcome your input. I agree, I would be worried about long term durability of all these new technologies. Sometimes a simple durable design is better, just look at Toyota and the resale of their Tacoma with that old basic V6 and auto. Not much can go wrong and you can trust it for a long time.

I will admit though, after living (and enjoying) that V6, I did miss the sound and bluster of a V8. Also something about a big "muscle" looking truck with a V8, it's a vice I know, but one I will readily admit to :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I should correct myself...the Silverado is not available with a I4 turbo...it's a 2.7 Turbo. Still wouldn't want one though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Oh....holy crap. Lol. Must be cheaper to produce than a 2.7 V6. Or maybe Ford has a patent on the 2.7 V6 Turbo...who knows lol.

Absolutely. Also, Ford and GM tend to market small turbos differently. Ford is all in on turbos and puts them higher up the motor chain. On the Mustang, before they got rid of the base V6, they had the I4 turbo as the middle motor. However at GM, on the Camaro, they put their V6 as the middle motor and the I4 turbo as the base motor. Though it makes sense for them since their V6 was a great motor out of the Cadillac sedans.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely. Also, Ford and GM tend to market small turbos differently. Ford is all in on turbos and puts them higher up the motor chain. On the Mustang, before they got rid of the base V6, they had the I4 turbo as the middle motor. However at GM, on the Camaro, they put their V6 as the middle motor and the I4 turbo as the base motor. Though it makes sense for them since their V6 was a great motor out of the Cadillac sedans.
GM has always been smarter in that regard. Before I got my Ram I couldn't believe Ford was trying to charge thousands more for the 5.0 over the 3.5 when they said the 3.5 is their best engine.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
GM has always been smarter in that regard. Before I got my Ram I couldn't believe Ford was trying to charge thousands more for the 5.0 over the 3.5 when they said the 3.5 is their best engine.

Yeah, Ford has gone hard on that 3.5L, I thought it was a mistake in the Raptor. But it hasn't hurt sales and it is their most powerful tow motor. The new hybrid 3.5L will have 430hp w/ 570 lb-ft of torque and a crazy 24 highway / 24 mpg city rating. That's some impressive numbers. Now if they can do that with a V8 for sound, I would be happy. Maybe RAM will do that when they go hybrid? They would be the ones to go V8.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, Ford has gone hard on that 3.5L, I thought it was a mistake in the Raptor. But it hasn't hurt sales and it is their most powerful tow motor.
Not for nothing, but I was along side a sweet Raptor yesterday, lifted and tricked out. We were trading quick bursts with each other. Now I know that Raptor would have spanked my 5.7 *** hard, however I couldn't help but chuckle at the sound of that motor. Awful.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for nothing, but I was along side a sweet Raptor yesterday, lifted and tricked out. We were trading quick bursts with each other. Now I know that Raptor would have spanked my 5.7 *** hard, however I couldn't help but chuckle at the sound of that motor. Awful.
Idk man, usually when they start adding lifts and all that it slows down the acceleration quite a bit....I would've tried lmao!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
To be honest, the Raptor's 0-60 is only about 5.5 seconds. To put that in perspective, the 2.7L Ecoboost in 4WH will do 5.7 seconds. The RAM is 6.1 seconds. These times are based on the fastest published times so far.

Due to the heavy duty suspension and off-road tires, it slows that Raptor down a bit. It could have been a driver's race depending on the situation. TFL truck just recently did some fun drag racing with a Rebel, Trail Boss, Raptor and TRX... they are in altitude so the power is down a bit on all the trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
To be honest, the Raptor's 0-60 is only about 5.5 seconds. To put that in perspective, the 2.7L Ecoboost in 4WH will do 5.7 seconds. The RAM is 6.1 seconds. These times are based on the fastest published times so far.

Due to the heavy duty suspension and off-road tires, it slows that Raptor down a bit. It could have been a driver's race depending on the situation. TFL truck just recently did some fun drag racing with a Rebel, Trail Boss, Raptor and TRX... they are in altitude so the power is down a bit on all the trucks.

Is the video worth watching? TFL Truck are such Ford fan fans at this point it's off putting. Roman and Andre especially. Nathan is quite neutral, and Tommy, well, he's a little wet yet.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is the video worth watching? TFL Truck are such Ford fan fans at this point it's off putting. Roman and Andre especially. Nathan is quite neutral, and Tommy, well, he's a little wet yet.

Ford fans? Other than the Tremor which is a heavy build project, they don't have any Fords currently in the fleet. Roman is a big fan of everything, like Subarus, Minis and old Japanese 4x4s.

They currently have a Trail Boss (traded in the long-term Rebel for it), which is about to be traded because they bought a Land Rover Defender. They just bought a TRX in red, waiting on delivery. The camera guy just bought a Rebel, which is the one they are using in this test.

TFL truck was mostly accused about being RAM fans due to the extensive videos on their long-term Rebel and Power Wagon 2500. That's why they got a Trail Boss for 2020. They have mostly been banned from official Ford events because they released photos before embargo. They have been trolling Ford actually for a while.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
They're smart enough to keep circulating among the brands, it's in their bias, how they talk about the trucks when it's not a simple measurement like 0 to 60. How does one truck perform offroad vs the other etc. Roman is in love with Ford lol. At least he was when I unsubscribed, it's been over a year since I watched anything from them. Just no point.

Users who are viewing this thread