5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar Purchase$$$$

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your comment surprised me so I called Hellwig a moment ago and the rep told me it is supposed to point down. I asked her if they are a non-directional bar whereupon she replied they are direction and it needs to be pointed down just like the one that was installed at the factory. I asked if this was stated anywhere in their instructions or on their website as my doesn't state this but I was told it should point down thus I installed it that way...her response was it does not state it anywhere but it should be pointed down.

To each their own...and I'm not saying your right and I'm wrong or vice versa - just that Hellwig can't seem to put out consistent information. I hope the quality control of their bars is better than their information control.
So are you saying it should be pointed down? Not up, right? Down?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So are you saying it should be pointed down? Not up, right? Down?
The center of the sway bar that goes behind the pumpkin should point downward, not up. I simply replicated the way my Mopar sway bar was installed by disconnecting it from the truck and dropping it to the ground. I then overlaid the Hellwig and installed it in the same orientation.

If it’s incorrect, it’s because they installed it wrong at the factory and Hellwig failed to provide clear instructions! :)

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your question got me thinking. I think the air suspension does provide a firmer effective spring rate while towing (evidenced by the lack of sag even with a substantial tongue weight). That firmer spring rate could provide a more stable ride when towing. Could be why I’m not feeling any significant stability improvement while towing. Just a theory.

Thanks. Only reason I would get it is for towing, so I may just pass on this then

redneck

Reaction score
Thanks. Only reason I would get it is for towing, so I may just pass on this then
i have the air suspension & 4x4 my factory sway bar was solid & just as heavy as the hellwig i bought it anyway & installed it on the stiffest setting & no change

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
i have the air suspension & 4x4 my factory sway bar was solid & just as heavy as the hellwig i bought it anyway & installed it on the stiffest setting & no change
Really? My 2019 OEM sway bar was hollow and about a third of the weight of the Hellwig.
Do 2021s come with beefier ones now?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you sure about that??? The sway bar is the sway bar regardless of trim level and suspension and the OEM bar is far lighter and not nearly as "solid" as the Hellwig.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I guess the 21 longhorns changed the factory sway bar cause it's solid it is 1/8 smaller in diameter Than hellwig and I didn't notice any difference in trailer sway.
I'm not trying to be a di** but I still call BS. Throw those bad boys on a scale for weight comparison and let me know what the difference is.

Users who are viewing this thread