5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight replacement

zim2323

Reaction score
I ended up going with Xenonpro.com LED's. I purchased low, high, and fog and had them installed professionally. Everything seemed great until I was driving to work a few days after. This was the first sub-30 degree cold day. As I was driving I noticed the driver side headlight going out for 10-20 seconds and then coming back on. It did this a few times before eventually going out entirely. I have about a 15min drive to work with about 5min of highway time. After experiencing this issue a couple days in a row, we had a couple more warm days, 40+ and the issue went away. Next cold day, light goes out half way to work again. The passenger side never went out and both the high and fogs had no issues either. I tried turning lights on and off, no change. I had to turn the truck completely off and start it again before that headlight would come on again, sometimes only briefly.

Now the troubleshooting starts. I contacted Xenonpro.com and ended up getting new PWM modules and new LED. I first swapped modules, LED's with passenger headlight and the problem stayed at the driver side. The light and module that was previously going out on the driver side had no issue on the passenger side. Replaced the drive low LED and module with new, same issue. Swapped passenger and driver side LED and module again, problem still on driver side. For clarity, I had the same installers do all the work swapping the LED's and modules back and forth.

What's confusing to me is that this only seems to happen in sub-30 degree weather. If it's north of 30, NEVER have this issue. I ended up going to the dealer and talked to them about it. I took the truck in yesterday and they tapped into the wiring and installed a tell-tell light. When I picked up the truck last night the light went out as they pulled it into the customer bay. We popped the hood and verified that with the light out, the tell-tell light was off as well. I was able to observe the headlight and tell-tell go on and off a couple times before the headlight went off permanently. They pulled the truck back to see if they could determine where the power was getting pulled. They aren't yet sure if this is being cut by the computer or a connection issue. I'm supposed to bring the truck back in tomorrow to have them swap the pins under the dash to swap the circuit that the passenger and driver side lights are on to see if the computer then turns the passenger side off.

Curious if anybody else has seen this.
- Are you in a sub-30 degree environment?
- Is it possible the PWM modules aren't providing enough resistance? Would another mfg module work better?

Thanks!
Chris

Lakngs20

Reaction score
Has anyone used Lasfit LED bulbs? They have a bunch of good reviews. They have a full LED pack for all lights on the vehicle.

Attachments

• 3C134F14-46B9-4EFF-AB59-6C0BCB2064C4.png
    3C134F14-46B9-4EFF-AB59-6C0BCB2064C4.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 59

cq64

Reaction score
Has anyone used Lasfit LED bulbs? They have a bunch of good reviews. They have a full LED pack for all lights on the vehicle.
Use Lasfit for low beams and map lights.
Very happy with them, have had no issues, unlike cheap Chinese bulbs I have tried.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score

I have Lasfit bulbs in my third brake lake, cargo light, reverse lights, tail lights, and just ordered their LC6 bulbs for a set of AlphaRexLED lights I bought. Bulbs work great, customer service also great - they email to check the fit/see if you have questions. eBay (still direct from them) was cheaper than their website. 99% sure these bulbs are also made in China FYI.

Of note, would double check your rear turn signal if you want it also converted to LED- a lot of guys appeared to have a European style bulb - PWY24W, my truck and others has a 7440/7443 size bulb (larger) in the back for some reason. No idea on the reasoning or production timeline for this. Good news is, if that’s the case it’s the same as the front turn signal and you can buy them all from Lasfit (they don’t sell the PWY24W part number).

Bram2019

Reaction score
I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1QCM2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 These seemed to hold up well through the winter. I only used them in my cargo bay bulbs next to the third brake light. Do not flicker in winter. Work well. Did not replace the third stop lamp, although these would go right in. Had bad experience with another bulb where are replaced all bulbs in 3rd stop and bed lamps. All failed within a couple of months. Wanted to make sure my 3rd stop is always going to work, so I left incandesant bulb in there. The GZTC leds I used are now over 1 year old and are still working great.

Ramn'at

Reaction score
Here's some pictures of them. They look sweet, only thing I would do is black out the 2 bolts that look like chrome or stainless. I have that on my list of things to do. That & I was hoping to find a 30 0r 40 inch light bar for the lower grill but all I'm seeing is the RC 20". I did their 30" curved bar on my last truck, 2017 Colorado & it worked out fine & looked great!
Do you have a link to this kit? I cannot find it on Rough Countrys website.

fwankie

Reaction score
Some before and after’s of my LASFIT LED H11 swap.

138010CD-516F-4885-B0B6-E87F6B2130E0.jpeg
E51604A3-8799-4D68-9B86-BF5FEA4F6843.jpeg
DFF3040D-FCC6-4EAF-AB1C-B3F7FF17E261.jpeg

Also made a little unboxing/install video as well.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Put Alpha Rex Nova series headlights in today. Absolutely love them they are badass

acaf79c2eb1fd4859b19780a190ebe80.jpg

dda75b9d8ac98c9ee2cd64b131edf48b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semcpher

Reaction score
Put Alpha Rex Nova series headlights in today. Absolutely love them they are badass

Look great.... how are they holding up? Any issues? I'm on the fence between getting LED bulbs or new LED heads for my BH. Any advice?

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Look great.... how are they holding up? Any issues? I'm on the fence between getting LED bulbs or new LED heads for my BH. Any advice?

Only issue was the DRL wire got pinched in the fusebox so it quit working but i've gotten that fixed now. No problems other than that

Reaction score
Only issue was the DRL wire got pinched in the fusebox so it quit working but i've gotten that fixed now. No problems other than that

Those look like the halogens, are those in fact the Nova series with LEDs all the way around? Debating getting the Nova series or contacting my stealership for price on just the LED heads. Have a BH that came with the LED tails but stock halogen heads...very weird.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Those look like the halogens, are those in fact the Nova series with LEDs all the way around? Debating getting the Nova series or contacting my stealership for price on just the LED heads. Have a BH that came with the LED tails but stock halogen heads...very weird.
Yes they are the nova series full LED. The halogens only have 2 projectors, one for low, one for high. These have 3 for low, 1 for high.

Wsmith

Reaction score
If you're going to upgrade bulbs, buy good bulbs. Don't settle for junk.

Couldn't agree more with every statement made in the video. HR is an excellent company. The only reason I went GTR over Supernova is the lifetime vs five year warranty. The $30-$50 is not going to put me in the poor house. I have other bad habits for that.

BigBen

Reaction score

I really like those but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that the LED chips are not replaceable and they only come with a 2 year warranty. Seems like a lot of cash to be shelling out for something that could fail after only 2 years and require the purchase of a whole new set.

I have been thinking of getting the Pros and popping LED bulbs into them but then I noticed they now make the LUXX version which seems to be the Pros with LED bulbs included in them. I just sent them an email today to see if they're replaceable or built in to the housing like the Nova. Hopefully the former since it would allow for more longevity.

judsonlimited

Reaction score
Yes that is a downside. But if you had the oem ones, you’re in the same situation. The halogens are the only serviceable lights. You can get good leds for the pros though.

BigBen

Reaction score
Yes that is a downside. But if you had the oem ones, you’re in the same situation. The halogens are the only serviceable lights. You can get good leds for the pros though.

Oh, I didn't realized that. It seems so wasteful to make it so you can't replace the bulb...

I saw that spyder is coming out with a set that I like a bit better soon but I'm not a big fan of Spyder. They're pretty iffy quality wise imo.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was trying to decide between the OEM’s and the Morimoto XB headlights. I had decided to get the Morimoto because they have a 5 year warranty. Even the OEM’s only have a 1 year warranty if they didn’t come on your truck. I ended buying a slightly used set of OEM from another member here for a great deal so I went with them. But if / when the OEM’s go out I’ll go with the Morimoto for the warranty. After having these OEM LED’s I could never go back to the halogens. The light output difference is crazy

Users who are viewing this thread