5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight replacement

Bram2019

Reaction score
I just slid my arm through the access panel in the wheel well and swapped out my halogens for LEDs ... kind of a pain ... can only use one hand but it’s doable. If you have a second set of eyes they can guide you from the top. I did it solo ... 15 minutes.
I am interested in what brand lights you used and whether you had any canbus or lamp out errors. How about fit into headlamp assembly. I could not justify $1000.00 for factory LEDs when I ordered my truck. Beamtech makes a fanless LED that interests me.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I just traded in my 13 F150 for the new Ram 1500 Bighorn. I absolutely love this truck. My only regret is I dont have the led headlights... Any chance of a kit coming out or maybe just led bulbs to put in? Also would that void the warrenty? Thanks for any answers!
Jeremy at Retroshop online in the past has made conversion kits for people wanting OEM lights upgraded from halogen to LED. When I did this a few years ago I had to also install resistors.

Reaction score
Recently got my own 5th Gen with the factory hallogen assemblies and looking for options myself. Specifically though, I'm not referring to a retrofit or LED bulb installation. My question is in regard to the mid-tier upgrade assemblies and if anyone knows or have heard if these units are are essentially "plug-n-play" since they are an upgrade option. Or, require different harness or connector to be installed. Dealership wasn't much help and haven't found anything online. Appreciate the help if anyone knows.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
Recently got my own 5th Gen with the factory hallogen assemblies and looking for options myself. Specifically though, I'm not referring to a retrofit or LED bulb installation. My question is in regard to the mid-tier upgrade assemblies and if anyone knows or have heard if these units are are essentially "plug-n-play" since they are an upgrade option. Or, require different harness or connector to be installed. Dealership wasn't much help and haven't found anything online. Appreciate the help if anyone knows.
Unfortunately these are not plug and play. Totally different harness. There’s a couple other threads out there saying how this hasn’t been done yet and people are working on making a plug and play harness for this. I wasn’t wanting to wait nor did I want to spend $1200 for the headlight assemblies. So I ended up replacing every bulb in my headlights including switchback led turn signals. They are brighter than the rams led package. I will be tinting my headlights soon to have a darker look like the led package

Attachments

• 06507273-E24B-4B02-A7B9-6B3F181BD1A7.jpeg
    06507273-E24B-4B02-A7B9-6B3F181BD1A7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 231
  • BFE8AF2E-4438-4341-9023-A0E1BE859DE8.jpeg
    BFE8AF2E-4438-4341-9023-A0E1BE859DE8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 227
  • A1174C85-D8EE-46D4-8D21-CAD5806B03B3.jpeg
    A1174C85-D8EE-46D4-8D21-CAD5806B03B3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 218
  • 77B82511-C206-451D-8F01-81B679334456.jpeg
    77B82511-C206-451D-8F01-81B679334456.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
  • 3386D365-5686-4BD8-AD0D-F51F5C0722C6.jpeg
    3386D365-5686-4BD8-AD0D-F51F5C0722C6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 210
  • DECB6FBF-453D-43DF-82D9-A6B03F0BDEDC.jpeg
    DECB6FBF-453D-43DF-82D9-A6B03F0BDEDC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 212
  • 2D30203B-94D6-4611-B928-2B4DA324FF59.jpeg
    2D30203B-94D6-4611-B928-2B4DA324FF59.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Figures.

Thanks for the response. Guess, I'll just have to wait for something to come down the pipeline, if I want to change the housing.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Depends on what trim you have.

Bighorn is not plug and play

Laramie can use limited but I think you lose the directional headlight feature.

pjs918

Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, please let me know what brand LED upgrades you used? I see a ton of info but all is a little confusing. I have a Big Horn with black appearance package, looking to upgrade halogens all around, front and rear. Interior as well, any info would greatly help! Also, how did the install go on the headlights? I have heard you need to remove the grill? I saw an access panel on the instructions, but took a quick look at mine and I don't see it in the wheel well, unless i cut it myself.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, please let me know what brand LED upgrades you used? I see a ton of info but all is a little confusing. I have a Big Horn with black appearance package, looking to upgrade halogens all around, front and rear. Interior as well, any info would greatly help! Also, how did the install go on the headlights? I have heard you need to remove the grill? I saw an access panel on the instructions, but took a quick look at mine and I don't see it in the wheel well, unless i cut it myself.
Go to headlightrevolution.com. Best headlight bulbs around. They have reverse and fog lights as well. They don’t have interior bulbs yet. Install isn’t awful. The way I did it was take the screws out from the wheel liner and pull back the liner so you can easily get your hand behind it to reach the low beam bulb. The turn signals and the high beams are very easy to get from just opening the grill

Nicksram5gen

Reaction score
There is two led packages. The one that comes on the big horn are a reflective type led but also come with led DRLS. I'm curious to see what the dealer has to say about swapping the halogens for the LEDs. With the halogens using the low beem as the DRLS will the headlight harness be able to power the led drls in the upgrades headlight or just try to run the low beem ?

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
There is two led packages. The one that comes on the big horn are a reflective type led but also come with led DRLS. I'm curious to see what the dealer has to say about swapping the halogens for the LEDs. With the halogens using the low beem as the DRLS will the headlight harness be able to power the led drls in the upgrades headlight or just try to run the low beem ?
As of now they aren’t plug and play. People are making adapters now for it so that they can update them.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at the harnesses for the two an they are very different unfortunately.. So a lot would be involved with getting factory LED assemblies to work. There are LED drivers circuits coming from the BCM. those are not there int the Halogen trucks. Maybe eventually there maybe a aftermarket harness or light assemblies that look OEM or allow an OEM upgrade but not for now.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just slid my arm through the access panel in the wheel well and swapped out my halogens for LEDs ... kind of a pain ... can only use one hand but it’s doable. If you have a second set of eyes they can guide you from the top. I did it solo ... 15 minutes.

Where did you get the LEDs and could you put links to them please. I do alot of night driving and need to find LEDs that work and will not throw the "bulb out" light.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
You can probably use the led headlights from a Laramie. The connectors should be the same. However bcm Programing would be needed and just so happens I do that.

Reaction score
Can someone that has swapped out their halogens for LEDs please post a review?
I would like to purchase a Bighorn, and the few ones with the premium lighting have a bunch of stuff I don't need.

geotex1

Reaction score
Can someone that has swapped out their halogens for LEDs please post a review?
I would like to purchase a Bighorn, and the few ones with the premium lighting have a bunch of stuff I don't need.

It's not plug and play. Why don't you order exactly what you want in the truck? With the exception of Ramboxes, Rebels, and two-tone paint, forum members are seeing pretty rapid delivery of their factory orders. Just a thought.

Rich

Reaction score
Go to headlightrevolution.com. Best headlight bulbs around. They have reverse and fog lights as well. They don’t have interior bulbs yet. Install isn’t awful. The way I did it was take the screws out from the wheel liner and pull back the liner so you can easily get your hand behind it to reach the low beam bulb. The turn signals and the high beams are very easy to get from just opening the grill

How do you like these? Do they work with DRL mode turned on also?

I don't care too much about interior lamps, no one need blinding bright lights inside, but headlamp and reverse lamps can always need help.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
How do you like these? Do they work with DRL mode turned on also?

I don't care too much about interior lamps, no one need blinding bright lights inside, but headlamp and reverse lamps can always need help.
Best headlight. I absolutely love them. They are so bright. Their better than the OEM RAM LED lights

Rich

Reaction score
Best headlight. I absolutely love them. They are so bright. Their better than the OEM RAM LED lights

Yes, but how do they work when you turn on daylight running lights (DRL) mode? Do they support it properly?

Users who are viewing this thread