5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight replacement

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
I just traded in my 13 F150 for the new Ram 1500 Bighorn. I absolutely love this truck. My only regret is I dont have the led headlights... Any chance of a kit coming out or maybe just led bulbs to put in? Also would that void the warrenty? Thanks for any answers!

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will have to look at the wire harness. There probably is more to this due to all the headlights do. THe LED are active and move while turning. Also will require programming of the BCM.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there were different led packages depends on what truck you have. Like the limited have what you were describing and the bighorn have a mid level or whatnot.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will have to look at the wire harness. There probably is more to this due to all the headlights do. THe LED are active and move while turning. Also will require programming of the BCM.

I beleive (I could be wrong) only the Limited and Laramie Longhorn are active moving (unless they are part of the premium lighting package).

I'm guessing that the Bighorn doesn't normally come with the projector lenses also, so they would need to be changed out also if the LED's were added

2018-08-30_18-38-12.jpg

2018-08-30_18-41-30.jpg

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
So what does this mean for my situation? Since I have the base Halogen lights, am I able to replace them with leds? Or maybe a whole replacement kit will eventually be replaced?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So what does this mean for my situation? Since I have the base Halogen lights, am I able to replace them with leds? Or maybe a whole replacement kit will eventually be replaced?

I'm not an expert in any way, but I beleive that LED's, like HID's, are really meant for projector lenses, otherwise you have to worry about heat buildup and the beam scattering and pissing off oncoming motorists.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to change out everything for OEM LED's (including the projector lenses), but in the past, I've had good luck with contacting the Retrofit source and seeing what options they might have from an aftermarket standpoint (I put there HID's in my Durango and went 4 years without a problem before I traded it in)

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll check out the site and see what they have to say

Sounds good. Take a look at their site, and then email them (or use the contact infor there) and give them all the information on your vehicle..they usually get back to you in a day or two if they have options. My guess is that you are looking at a projector kit, if one is available for the 19 or if the universal one fits.

Tesurf71

Reaction score
Let me know I want to do the same

Attachments

• 20180824_062543.jpg
    20180824_062543.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 285

Tesurf71

Reaction score
I just traded in my 13 F150 for the new Ram 1500 Bighorn. I absolutely love this truck. My only regret is I dont have the led headlights... Any chance of a kit coming out or maybe just led bulbs to put in? Also would that void the warrenty? Thanks for any answers!
I want to do the same, let me know

Attachments

• 20180722_134817_HDR.jpg
    20180722_134817_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 197

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
Will do! I'm talking with the site through emails right now, I just gave them all the bulb info. I'll let you know when I find out more!

Polaris Man

Reaction score
You would need to find an HID or led kit for it or swap them entire housings for factory LED housings, probably pretty expensive to go that route. I ran an HID kit in my 2013 sport for over 4 years without issues, I used canbus ballasts which eliminated the need for resistors and extra wiring, and didn't produce the lamp out message. I did alotnof research before doing that mod.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
You would need to find an HID or led kit for it or swap them entire housings for factory LED housings, probably pretty expensive to go that route. I ran an HID kit in my 2013 sport for over 4 years without issues, I used canbus ballasts which eliminated the need for resistors and extra wiring, and didn't produce the lamp out message. I did alotnof research before doing that mod.

Thank you for the info! I'll definitely be doing a ton of research.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So after a few emails back and forth, he basically gave me a good looking HID kit that would work. My old issue I have is it looks like a pain to get to the headlights and I'm kinda scared to tear into the brand new truck like this. I would love to get better headlights though. Pretty conflicted.

This is the link he sent me.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/2015-mopar-morimoto-elite.html

That's pretty much the same system I ran in my Durango. I was pretty happy with it and got 4.5 years out of it before I traded the Durango for the Ram.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
That's pretty much the same system I ran in my Durango. I was pretty happy with it and got 4.5 years out of it before I traded the Durango for the Ram.

Yeah it looks great and seems like it would greatly increase my visibility. I'm just concerned how hard it would be to get to the headlights, nor do I want to ruin anything. It doesn't seem hard to install once you actually get to the headlight though.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are instructions on how to remove the grill. I haven't it done this yet but from what I've read, removing the front fascia below the headlights is tricky because of the tabs that hold it place.

Attachments

• Grille - Removal and Installation (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 184

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
Here are instructions on how to remove the grill. I haven't it done this yet but from what I've read, removing the front fascia below the headlights is tricky because of the tabs that hold it place.

Thank you so much, that guide is extremely helpful! Now the only other thing I'm contimpating is that I have to stop at my dealer anyways because I was gonna order all weather mats for my truck, so I was just gonna ask about seeing if it's possible to order the led lights from ram and having them installed or buying off ebay and having the dealer put them in or if they're even compatible.

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
Thank you so much, that guide is extremely helpful! Now the only other thing I'm contimpating is that I have to stop at my dealer anyways because I was gonna order all weather mats for my truck, so I was just gonna ask about seeing if it's possible to order the led lights from ram and having them installed or buying off ebay and having the dealer put them in or if they're even compatible.
I just slid my arm through the access panel in the wheel well and swapped out my halogens for LEDs ... kind of a pain ... can only use one hand but it’s doable. If you have a second set of eyes they can guide you from the top. I did it solo ... 15 minutes.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
I just slid my arm through the access panel in the wheel well and swapped out my halogens for LEDs ... kind of a pain ... can only use one hand but it’s doable. If you have a second set of eyes they can guide you from the top. I did it solo ... 15 minutes.

What lights did you use? Can you link them? Also any dash errors? Pictures maybe? Sorry for the amount of questions just super interested.

Users who are viewing this thread