5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the Airdesign cut in fender vents?

Big Gunz

Reaction score
No I didn't get an estimate I dropped the ball there.. I had a plethora of emotions I just got the truck in December, I love it and start doing mods..bragging about etorque (I guess a little to soon🙄)So I just got a call today from service and he said there gonna "try" to get me outa there at $1000...... I already paid $350 for a new 12 volt battery..so it'll be $1350..the service manager is a great guy I know hes a friend of mine trying every possible thing to bail me out of this mess..Its the manufacturer that pulling the rug out from underneath me...I'm not at the part where they hand me a bill yet but I've got a case # with Ramcares but I was already told by a case worker i don't have a case because i am the second owner idk...i wish i could just win publishers clearing house and non of this would matter lol!😅

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Water leaks at sliding backlite
NHTSA ID number: 10194060 / Mfg communication number 23-016-21
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10194060-9999.pdf

Water leak rear of cab rear seat or headliner
NHTSA ID numbers 10193998 and 10175683 / Mfg communication number S2023000024 Rev A
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10193998-9999.pdf
There is a TSB for this issued 4/27/20. The case number is the same as the communication number.

Please note that this particular publication says that it does not automatically authorize warranty work. However, it's been my experience that most dealers will complete TSB's without pushback.
**** More importantly. The fact that there are 3 NHTSA complaints and an FCA Technical Service Bulletin on this particular issue, it clearly show that the leak is not of your doing. This is a known and documented manufacturing/product issue with your particular model year and trim.
I'm no expert in the field of who should pay for what, but it would seem to me that your etorque warranty is still valid because its failure resulted from their issue. Maybe they won't honor the replacement of the window because you're outside it's warranty, but I'm sure that's probably cheaper than the etorque repair.

Hope that helps.
Great information
The dealer can self authorize a Goodwill repair, it's used for customer satisfaction/retention. That said, he purchased a used truck from down the road. Is he a loyal customer to the Ram dealer?

What should happen is easy, selling dealer should pay for backlite or part of it, and servicing dealer should warranty the battery. Its hard to say if that is how it will happen.

Did Big Gunz get an estimate before the work was started?
Water leaks at sliding backlite
NHTSA ID number: 10194060 / Mfg communication number 23-016-21
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10194060-9999.pdf

Water leak rear of cab rear seat or headliner
NHTSA ID numbers 10193998 and 10175683 / Mfg communication number S2023000024 Rev A
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10193998-9999.pdf
There is a TSB for this issued 4/27/20. The case number is the same as the communication number.

Please note that this particular publication says that it does not automatically authorize warranty work. However, it's been my experience that most dealers will complete TSB's without pushback.
**** More importantly. The fact that there are 3 NHTSA complaints and an FCA Technical Service Bulletin on this particular issue, it clearly show that the leak is not of your doing. This is a known and documented manufacturing/product issue with your particular model year and trim.
I'm no expert in the field of who should pay for what, but it would seem to me that your etorque warranty is still valid because its failure resulted from their issue. Maybe they won't honor the replacement of the window because you're outside it's warranty, but I'm sure that's probably cheaper than the etorque repair.

Hope that helps.
Great information shots! Much appreciated..I copied all of it and will have a little intelligence to bring because of you and all of the support I get here at 5th gen..Thanks so much again!!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a member of multiple forums from different kinds of vehicles, but this one is by far the best one with the best, most knowledgeable & helpful people, & the most organized. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No I didn't get an estimate I dropped the ball there.. I had a plethora of emotions I just got the truck in December, I love it and start doing mods..bragging about etorque (I guess a little to soon🙄)So I just got a call today from service and he said there gonna "try" to get me outa there at $1000...... I already paid $350 for a new 12 volt battery..so it'll be $1350..the service manager is a great guy I know hes a friend of mine trying every possible thing to bail me out of this mess..Its the manufacturer that pulling the rug out from underneath me...I'm not at the part where they hand me a bill yet but I've got a case # with Ramcares but I was already told by a case worker i don't have a case because i am the second owner idk...i wish i could just win publishers clearing house and non of this would matter lol!😅
Being the second owner has no bearing on warranty repairs.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Being the second owner has no bearing on warranty repairs.
I'll keep fighting..I have a lot of information thanks to so many of 5th gen members..I'm grateful for all the help..I'll keep you updated as things transpire😉👍

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep fight the fight. Bring those documents and don’t pay out of pocket for those repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... What they are telling me is the rear window was not a recall so in so many words they're saying that the responsibility of a replacement rear window is mine....
This is technically accurate, but it's not that simple.
A recall will only be issued for safety concerns. A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) will be issued for known problems which are not a safety concern. A TSB isn't required to be repaired, so many times they aren't checked or fixed unless the consumer reports the problem. Likewise, if not addressed during the warranty period, they are typically* up to you to fix and/or pay for. (* more on this below)
This is unlike a recall which will have safety implications and thus it must be repaired regardless of model year or mileage. This is why they send things out in the mail urging you to have the vehicle inspected/repaired. This covers them against legal claims if the effect part fails and causes injury/death.

Don't confuse a "recalled" item with a known defect. They are two very different things. FCA dang well knows it's a common problem and they've got a TSB on it (now you have it too). However, a leaking window/roof does not pose a safety concern so there isn't a recall for it. That doesn't mean it's not a known defect.
With this being a known issue it makes it extremely difficult for FCA to claim you have a flooding problem that you caused. They know there's a potential for the leak resulting from a manufacturer defect and they're actively repairing that very issue on your truck.
This defect is known to cause the rear seat area to accumulate water/moisture. This also happens to be where the etorque battery is located. Water is obviously bad for electronics. Therefore the logical and reasonable person would conclude that the defect has cause the failure of the etorque system.

So what about that warranty. Obviously the leak is outside the 3 year/36K mile warranty. That sucks so you may not have much of an argument there. However, a vehicle warranty guarantees (or "warrants") that the part is free from defects related to the manufacture or craftsmanship of the vehicle/part. In this case, a manufactured or assembly issue has caused water incursion and the subsequent failure of the part. I would argue that the etorque, which is still under warranty, failed due to a manufacture/craftsmanship defect. In which case it should be covered by the warranty on that part.

If this leak is a known issue, then shouldn't the etorque system be shielded from the potential risk of water exposure? That's not on you. You didn't alter the vehicle, drive through deep water, or somehow create damage to the covered part. It's a manufacturer defect plain and simple.

Great information shots! Much appreciated..I copied all of it and will have a little intelligence to bring because of you and all of the support I get here at 5th gen..Thanks so much again!!
You're welcome. Remember to remain level headed. More flies with honey and all that jazz.

Another arrow for your quiver.
Although it is commonly associated with aftermarket parts, you may want to read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Fair warning it's a long read. I recommend taking notes while you do it, there's a lot to unpack, but it's worth it.
One thing that may be relevant to your claim is that, the coverage is valid even where written warranty has already expired as long as the defects appeared during warranty period. Which means, even though the warranty period has expired, the leak may still be covered if there is evidence that it had been leaking for long enough that it was leaking when the warranty was in force. Signs of this would be mold, decayed carpet/seat cushions, heavily rusted fasteners in the affected area, etc.
The other, and probably bigger thing, that this act covers is that the manufacturer can't deny coverage on a part that is currently under warranty without evidence that it wasn't a defect. If they are claiming "flood damage" what evidence is there of being flooded? Obviously there is water damage, as a result of the leak. However that leak has already been established as a known manufacturer defect. By claiming flood damage that you're responsible for would imply that you drove into high water, or maybe left the windows down during heavy rains. Is there any evidence to support that allegation? Are there water marks on other interior components away from the affected area? I don't think they can deny coverage if they are unable support their claim that you (or the prior owner) caused the damage.
Although I'm not a lawyer so maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Last edited:

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
While this thread has gone completely off the rails from where it started, my takeaway is don't get the e-torque! ;)

I own my vehicles well past the warranty and when I looked at the cost of the replacement 48v generator and e-torque battery I knew it was a nonstarter for me. A bunch of extra complexity and weight for almost zero benefit. No thanks...

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While this thread has gone completely off the rails from where it started, my takeaway is don't get the e-torque! ;)

I own my vehicles well past the warranty and when I looked at the cost of the replacement 48v generator and e-torque battery I knew it was a nonstarter for me. A bunch of extra complexity and weight for almost zero benefit. No thanks...
Ha ha, good point. Yes we have.
I assume we'll be able to get back on track when the OP gets the truck back and posts some photos with the Airdesign parts on it.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
The dealer can self authorize a Goodwill repair, it's used for customer satisfaction/retention. That said, he purchased a used truck from down the road. Is he a loyal customer to the Ram dealer?

What should happen is easy, selling dealer should pay for backlite or part of it, and servicing dealer should warranty the battery. Its hard to say if that is how it will happen.

Did Big Gunz get an estimate before the work was started?
Yes I agree but the Cadillac dealer I purchased it from has changed owners now ( don't know wether they will uphold any goodwill type of actions) and as far as the ram dealership the people in service are friends of mine and I have many years of of purchases from them so I am a long time customer of theirs..We will see what they do for me..when it comes to $ friendship goes to the wayside 🤔

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Dont worry when I get it back I'll be sure to post the airdesign pics..I am having a blast modding this truck..

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should get @RamCares involved and/or take your truck to a different dealer. You're right, the leaky rear window is a known defect and is absolutely not your fault. Don't pay a dime until you hear from Ram Cares.
Hi!

Thank you for the tag. If anyone is experiencing the rear window leak, we encourage you to send us a direct message so that we might document this and see if we can assist you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Hi!

Thank you for the tag. If anyone is experiencing the rear window leak, we encourage you to send us a direct message so that we might document this and see if we can assist you.

Callie
Ram Cares
Hello I already submitted my rear window leak which ruined my etorque battery and components but have heard nothing back..I've been without a car for a week now because the dealer has nothing to give me but are willing to rent me a car..they said they would goodwill me the parts but I'd have to pay the labor $1000..I'm a disabled veteran with a small fixed income..I don't have that kind of money..very disappointed with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello I already submitted my rear window leak which ruined my etorque battery and components but have heard nothing back..I've been without a car for a week now because the dealer has nothing to give me but are willing to rent me a car..they said they would goodwill me the parts but I'd have to pay the labor $1000..I'm a disabled veteran with a small fixed income..I don't have that kind of money..very disappointed with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Hey Big Gunz,

Please check your DM's. We just got back to you!

Callie
Ram Cares

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Found a better picture of what the Air Design "cut a big hole" fender vent looks like. The cutting makes it a nonstarter for me. The raw black plastic looks a bit cheapo to me. Maybe painted?

img_2085-middel.jpg
fender-vents-asp-2.jpg

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
i actually saw these on a truck the otherday and thought they looked really nice.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alot of overlapping labor to replace backlite and etorque battery.... they are screwing you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online