5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the Airdesign cut in fender vents?

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ive seen some linex on the bottom rocker panel area and fender flares … offroading i rather not deal with chips and scrapes lol
ive seen some linex on the bottom rocker panel area and fender flares … offroading i rather not deal with chips and scrapes lol

Yours is black so it will probably be easier, but check out Monstaliner - roll or spray & a ton of different colors. I did a 2-tone WWII OD Green & Black on my Jeep Cherokee XJ. Then you can easily touch up whenever if need be (I take mine trail riding). Really a cool product that’s UV resistant.

Attachments

• E7AA98A3-EFF2-404C-A918-CBD5A97E1FD4.jpeg
    E7AA98A3-EFF2-404C-A918-CBD5A97E1FD4.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 888DBA9A-990C-478C-BE7D-E93FF626DF0A.jpeg
    888DBA9A-990C-478C-BE7D-E93FF626DF0A.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 39

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yours is black so it will probably be easier, but check out Monstaliner - roll or spray & a ton of different colors. I did a 2-tone WWII OD Green & Black on my Jeep Cherokee XJ. Then you can easily touch up whenever if need be (I take mine trail riding). Really a cool product that’s UV resistant.
i like will check it out now

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@Big Gunz it looks good.

It does not matter if they vent the engine bay or not, the truck would never know the difference. Seal it all up or take the hood off and you will read the same temp going down the road.

Post a couple more pics. I'd like to see the hood too. Nice to see something a little different. Not much separates these trucks, a bunch of clones with different color paint.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found a better picture of what the Air Design "cut a big hole" fender vent looks like. The cutting makes it a nonstarter for me. The raw black plastic looks a bit cheapo to me. Maybe painted?

View attachment 133361
View attachment 133362
I like it painted too. Not that it looks bad black, but as someone mentioned a while back, it does have a F-150 vibe to it when it's black.

I'm no engineer but obviously air gets rammed through the grill and radiator, blown by the fan over the engine and exits the vents...cool air in hot air out..seems plausable right?
I am, but I haven't looked that closely at them or the engine compartment to see if they'd actually provide any function or not.. Your thought process is following logic though.
Shooting from the hip based solely on the above pictures, I doubt there'd be an appreciable difference. That said, if there is a path for air to evacuate the engine compartment through this vent you could potentially drop the temp in the engine bay briefly. I don't think it would be enough to effect a reading of the actual engine temp, but I don't see anything that the vent would hurt either. The main issue I see preventing it from having any real effect is the size. It's probably going to be too little air flow for as much radiant heat that is put off by the engine. While driving and the air is moving you may get a little change in the ambient temp of the engine compartment, but I suspect that as soon as you stop the heat will promptly build back up to normal. At the end of the day though, I don't think these will hurt anything.
Again, this is all purely speculation based on a photo.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I did exactly that idahoktm ..that's actually what brought me to find this forum..the problem is I bought the truck preowned from a Cadillac dealer ..32000 miles on it..but there telling me because I'm the second owner they cant back me up...I have a hard time understanding why..the dealership told me while I'm waitin for my parts (rear window, third break light and etorque battery and components)..they trying all avenues to help me with cost..I'm not really feeling to confident though..I've been without a truck for almost a week and I have no transportation..sux😣
Thats crazy, the truck could be sold 40 times and it doesn’t matter, the warranty is on the truck not the owner. Dealers should always fight for warranty for their customers after all its not their money. The only reason a used truck would not have warranty is if it was originally bought in Canada and moved the the US or vice versa. Hope it works out for you, its frustrating for me to read, can’t imagine what its like for you!

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Thats crazy, the truck could be sold 40 times and it doesn’t matter, the warranty is on the truck not the owner. Dealers should always fight for warranty for their customers after all its not their money. The only reason a used truck would not have warranty is if it was originally bought in Canada and moved the the US or vice versa. Hope it works out for you, its frustrating for me to read, can’t imagine what its like for you!
Yeah it sux rebel22.I talked to the service manager and here's where I stand..All parts are going to be good willed to me (48 volt battery pack, IFR module, rear window and back light) but I have to come out of pocket for the labor and the $350 I spent on a new 12volt battery (that includes $140 diagnostic fee)..so I'm still getting hammered for $1350 in total..I'm a disabled veteran on a small fixed income so it's hard to absorb that kind of $..I appreciate the good willed part but I still dont feel I should have to pay anything for this ..its an expensive truck with a big flaw Chrysler screwed up..They don't create a recall because it's not a safety hazzard...isn't it?? The etorque has a 48 volt battery getting wet from Chryslers mistake..that couldn't short out?..create a possible fire?..idk maybe..maybe not..its still a possible safety issue..everyone will have there own opinion..all I know is its FCA's fault..Do I call this a win..dosen't feel like it

Big Gunz

Reaction score
And I didn't need a 12 volt battery mine was fine

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think the issue was that Big Gunz is the 2nd owner. I think the issue was that the warranty had expired by that time. The original purchase date starts the warranty and that was in November 2018. So the warranty timed out in November of 2021 even though the mileage was below the 36k.

That said, I think the etorque warranty should still cover that part of it. Even if Big Gunz is stuck with the cost of the window part of things, the etorque is still under warranty and it clearly failed due to a manufacturer defect.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Even though all parts are good willed $1350 comes outta my pocket...it's just wrong..that truck is all I got as far as something nice I spent most of my money buying it to have a nicety in my forced retirement..now I think I made a big mistake buying it, etorque version especially because all this would be is some water on the floor if this was not an etorque model..

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I'm new to navigating this forum..do you know how I can find my DM conversations?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though all parts are good willed $1350 comes outta my pocket...it's just wrong..that truck is all I got as far as something nice I spent most of my money buying it to have a nicety in my forced retirement..now I think I made a big mistake buying it, etorque version especially because all this would be is some water on the floor if this was not an etorque model..
You are out of warranty, the backlite to replace would probably cost you $1300-1700 to have replaced. Call it a wash.

Your "friends" are not fighting for you in this case/repair.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
While looking for more pictures of the fender vents, I saw the front bumper overlay that Air Design makes. I guess it's unique? I don't like how it's designed to fit with the front air dam. The fake skidplate look... Ugh

ch07a05-2_1.jpg
6_2.jpg

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen it I like it just because it would cover up all the large chips on my painted bumper! Now that's to me looks terrible..and touch up paint makes it look worse

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@Big Gunz when you talk warranty and dealer, you are not talking about the Cadillac dealer you bought it from are you? Any Ram dealer covers factory warranty.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know, I like it. I'd like to see it on some trucks other than the promo shots.
IMO it's not too different from the Rebel bumper, which I'm sure is the look they were going for. I like the lights added below the grille too.

1656517062628.png

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I don't know, I like it. I'd like to see it on some trucks other than the promo shots.
IMO it's not too different from the Rebel bumper, which I'm sure is the look they were going for. I like the lights added below the grille too.

View attachment 133436
Yeah but the silver part on the Rebel is metal, right? Plus the Air Design requires the front air dam since it is attached to it along the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread