5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed the Airdesign cut in fender vents?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OMG, they improve fuel economy too! Sorry, but that's a load of 💩.
LOL, yeah it's funny how every company selling stuff for any vehicle claims to improve fuel economy.
Tailgate spoiler - improved mpg due to better aerodynamics
4.10 gears - improved mpg due to more time spent in the power band
Air filter - improved mpg due to freer flowing air (or cooler air temps, take your pick depending on mfg)
Tint - improved mpg due to lower demand or use of AC
Kick your fat friend out of the truck - improved mpg due to vehicle weight reduction. :LOL:

Call me cynical but I've seen a lot of mods try to claim mpg improvements. The engineer in me sees the vast majority of them as highly improbable, and some down right impossible. I added the fat friend idea, because it will have just about as much impact as adding most mods that claim to help. Trust me, if it was that easy FCA would have done it. We live in a time when the best mpg is a marketable number. Maybe even more so than horsepower. If they could gain even 1 mpg by venting the fender, or installing a different tailgate spoiler they would have done it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That said, I'm all for mods simply because you like them.
OP, I say go for it if you like the way they look. Also, so you have any photos of these other items? What's the hood scoop and rocker covers look like? Their photos are all super close and make it hard to tell how they look on the truck.

Last edited:

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Lol! Flames can never go out of style! That's a good idea😁

Big Gunz

Reaction score
My truck is sitting at the dealership with the back seat out and the etorque battery remove because water leaked through the rear window from a well known design flaw... where the trim cracks and water enters as well as a third brake light seal also leaks allowing more water to cascade over all of the etorque components ..and because I bought it used with only 32000 and I'm the second owner ....no warranty for me..seems fair huh?..when I get it back I will get all the pics of the add ons to you......but I'll probably be living in a cardboard box after I pay for repairs🤑

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP, I say go for it if you like the way they look. Also, so you have any photos of these other items? What's the hood scoop and rocker covers look like? Their photos are all super close and make it hard to tell how they look on the truck.
This is the best advice. Don't look for opinions of hardheads on a forum. Half believe in nothing but stock, quarter in bolt on only because in some alternate reality when they sell the worn out junk in 8 years they think they will put it back to stock for some reason. The rest just go balls out.

I used to drive Jeeps. If you think it's cool, break out the Sawzall and go for gold! It's just a pickup truck.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I agree. The OP should buy the fender vents if he likes how they look. He just has to decide if he's willing to cut sheet metal to have them.

He's got to expect a little blowback if he claims a mod like that will have any performance gains. Hell, Airdesign doesn't even claim any performance benefits and they have the most to gain from such claims.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
This is the best advice. Don't look for opinions of hardheads on a forum. Half believe in nothing but stock, quarter in bolt on only because in some alternate reality when they sell the worn out junk in 8 years they think they will put it back to stock for some reason. The rest just go balls out.

I used to drive Jeeps. If you think it's cool, break out the Sawzall and go for gold! It's just a pickup truck.
Thanks whiskey I appreciate your positive words and I'll take your advice brother..I'll let ya know when the sawzall is a sawin !!😉👍

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My truck is sitting at the dealership with the back seat out and the etorque battery remove because water leaked through the rear window from a well known design flaw... where the trim cracks and water enters as well as a third brake light seal also leaks allowing more water to cascade over all of the etorque components ..and because I bought it used with only 32000 and I'm the second owner ....no warranty for me..seems fair huh?..when I get it back I will get all the pics of the add ons to you......but I'll probably be living in a cardboard box after I pay for repairs🤑

I believe the eTorque components have an 80,000 mile warranty.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I believe the eTorque components have an 80,000 mile warranty.
Yeah they do but the dealer is saying it may not be covered because water did the damage so they are trying to make it look like it was my fault but they know its because of a manufacturing defect in the rear window..there just trying to lay blame on anyone other than themselves so they don't have to cover it...we'll see when I go to pick it up (been there for a week waiting for parts) what they're gonna charge me..as for the fender vents I just like the way they look..I'm not expecting any performance gains..

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah they do but the dealer is saying it may not be covered because water did the damage so they are trying to make it look like it was my fault but they know its because of a manufacturing defect in the rear window..there just trying to lay blame on anyone other than themselves so they don't have to cover it...we'll see when I go to pick it up (been there for a week waiting for parts) what they're gonna charge me..as for the fender vents I just like the way they look..I'm not expecting any performance gains..

You should get @RamCares involved and/or take your truck to a different dealer. You're right, the leaky rear window is a known defect and is absolutely not your fault. Don't pay a dime until you hear from Ram Cares.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
You should get @RamCares involved and/or take your truck to a different dealer. You're right, the leaky rear window is a known defect and is absolutely not your fault. Don't pay a dime until you hear from Ram Cares.
I did exactly that idahoktm ..that's actually what brought me to find this forum..the problem is I bought the truck preowned from a Cadillac dealer ..32000 miles on it..but there telling me because I'm the second owner they cant back me up...I have a hard time understanding why..the dealership told me while I'm waitin for my parts (rear window, third break light and etorque battery and components)..they trying all avenues to help me with cost..I'm not really feeling to confident though..I've been without a truck for almost a week and I have no transportation..sux😣

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I did exactly that idahoktm ..that's actually what brought me to find this forum..the problem is I bought the truck preowned from a Cadillac dealer ..32000 miles on it..but there telling me because I'm the second owner they cant back me up...I have a hard time understanding why..the dealership told me while I'm waitin for my parts (rear window, third break light and etorque battery and components)..they trying all avenues to help me with cost..I'm not really feeling to confident though..I've been without a truck for almost a week and I have no transportation..sux😣
Thank for the support idahoktm

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that sucks. See my next post for some info on this.

And thanks, I look forward to seeing the photos.

...... You're right, the leaky rear window is a known defect and is absolutely not your fault.....
Which is why I'm thinking there has to be a TSB on it.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Water leaks at sliding backlite
NHTSA ID number: 10194060 / Mfg communication number 23-016-21
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10194060-9999.pdf

Water leak rear of cab rear seat or headliner
NHTSA ID numbers 10193998 and 10175683 / Mfg communication number S2023000024 Rev A
Associated pdf from Ram: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10193998-9999.pdf
There is a TSB for this issued 4/27/20. The case number is the same as the communication number.

Please note that this particular publication says that it does not automatically authorize warranty work. However, it's been my experience that most dealers will complete TSB's without pushback.
**** More importantly. The fact that there are 3 NHTSA complaints and an FCA Technical Service Bulletin on this particular issue, it clearly show that the leak is not of your doing. This is a known and documented manufacturing/product issue with your particular model year and trim.
I'm no expert in the field of who should pay for what, but it would seem to me that your etorque warranty is still valid because its failure resulted from their issue. Maybe they won't honor the replacement of the window because you're outside it's warranty, but I'm sure that's probably cheaper than the etorque repair.

Hope that helps.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, I am really sorry to hear that! Had the etorque on my last truck but I specifically ordered this one without it just because there’s obviously more components to it and I read a post on here where someone was waiting several months to receive just a replacement belt for the etorque alternator. Good luck!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, are you trying to use the Cadillac dealer you bought it from for the work? If so, that's part of your problem. Go to a Ram dealer. The factory warranty is on the truck, not the owner. Being second owner doesn't mean anything if the truck is still within factory warranty period. Now if it's a 2019, you would be outside the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty that would cover the rear window and shark fin, but Ram dealers can request one time "courtesy" repair up to one year or 12k over factory warranty expiration.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
Thanks hskr r/t but I have my 2019 truck at a ram dealer which is just down the road from the Cadillac dealer.. I've know the people in this ram dealer for many years including the owner. What they are telling me is the rear window was not a recall so in so many words they're saying that the responsibility of a replacement rear window is mine and as far as the etourque battery pack they're also saying that the water seeping through the faulty window is a flooding situation and according to them that means I'm responsible for it when they all know very well that it is a documented factory factory defect .. Technically my 3 year warranty is up...fair isn't it?

Big Gunz

Reaction score
And a hearty thanks to everybody else who has given me advice I appreciate it all and I will read everything carefully.. I'll keep everybody updated on what happens and if nothing else at least I found a lot of good friends on a really cool forum!😉👍👍

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks hskr r/t but I have my 2019 truck at a ram dealer which is just down the road from the Cadillac dealer.. I've know the people in this ram dealer for many years including the owner. What they are telling me is the rear window was not a recall so in so many words they're saying that the responsibility of a replacement rear window is mine and as far as the etourque battery pack they're also saying that the water seeping through the faulty window is a flooding situation and according to them that means I'm responsible for it when they all know very well that it is a documented factory factory defect .. Technically my 3 year warranty is up...fair isn't it?
Like I mentioned, the dealer can request a one time "courtesy" repair from Ram for vehicles that are just outside of factory warranty. The rear window replacement and shark fin, since technically outside of factory warranty, would be on you, unless Ram agrees to the courtesy fix on the whole shebang since the etorques failure was directly caused by the defective rear window

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I mentioned, the dealer can request a one time "courtesy" repair from Ram for vehicles that are just outside of factory warranty. The rear window replacement and shark fin, since technically outside of factory warranty, would be on you, unless Ram agrees to the courtesy fix on the whole shebang since the etorques failure was directly caused by the defective rear window
The dealer can self authorize a Goodwill repair, it's used for customer satisfaction/retention. That said, he purchased a used truck from down the road. Is he a loyal customer to the Ram dealer?

What should happen is easy, selling dealer should pay for backlite or part of it, and servicing dealer should warranty the battery. Its hard to say if that is how it will happen.

Did Big Gunz get an estimate before the work was started?

Users who are viewing this thread