5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

x50

Reaction score
No...not at all possible
Can you elaborate a little as to why not. Just so I can understand. I'm aware of the two different cable connectors and found an adapter to make the camera in the 3rd brake light work with the cable that comes with the kit.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little as to why not. Just so I can understand. I'm aware of the two different cable connectors and found an adapter to make the camera in the 3rd brake light work with the cable that comes with the kit.
The rear cameras used in dash cams are typically proprietary and talk to each other. In most, it is not just a video feed but a data connection as well. I have not seen anyone ever do this successfully. If you are a tinkerer, and want to play with it, by all means...give it a shot and see what happens. Maybe we will both be surprised at what you find as it has been quite a while since this was attempted and may vary by manufacturer.

Reactions: x50

traveller09

Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of press in the last week on this dash cam:

Was just announced at the 2022 CES, set to come out later this year. Looks interesting, pretty high-tech, hopefully not too high-tech. After having a car break in I really want one that is connected to the cloud and immediately uploads the activity.

Carlmyman

Reaction score
May I ask why you need or have a dash cam? just curious
With all the crazy people driving without insurance, causing accidents and you name it, you will not drive without 1. I never had 1 up until 5 yrs ago. Now both my Ram and my wife's Atlas both have cameras. If you are ever in an accident, you have your proof of who is at fault ( this alone makes it a must have ). Someone makes a right on red and hits you then says you ran the light not him (happened to a buddy, other car had no insurance so who would you say is lying? Guilty driver got insurance 1 hour later & both got the blame from the insurance company 50/50. Both rates go up, who wins, the insurance company. It is really cheap insurance having a camera. To each his own, doesn't matter how safe or how good a driver you are now a days, it's who can prove their case.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
About 6 months ago I was driving down the highway at 70 mph when a young girl on a phone hit my vehicle from the rear. On phone and drifted at right time to hit me. So yes the dash cam works. While there wasn’t a issue as to who was at fault I was able to show when and how it happen. Soon after I added a dash cam to my truck.

Last edited:

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Are you guys running the back cam wire up through the headliner or at the side by the Airbags? I'm a little leary or running it next to side Airbags but how do you run it through the top headliner then?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you guys running the back cam wire up through the headliner or at the side by the Airbags? I'm a little leary or running it next to side Airbags but how do you run it through the top headliner then?
Use your fingers and push the wire over the airbag in the headliner so it sits closer to the center of the truck or the pano roof.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Inside the Headliner. It is a little harder if you have the Sun roof.

Malodave

Carlmyman

Reaction score
I ran mine tucked inside the edge from front to back. Started at the back & left excess above the windshield tucked under headliner.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
So I got my dad's old dashcam that actually saved him a couple times from people rear-ending him or cutting him off after he upgraded to a front and rear high end one. I never even really thought about getting one before this, now I ended up buying a new REDTIGER F7N-Plus dual dash cam and the SimpleUSBPort Dash Cam Power Adapter (10-pin Type D) but I'm going to return the SimpleUSBPort adapter because I'm not to crazy about hooking my cam up to mirror power with no fuse in-between it. So I'm just going to order the hardwire kit for it now. I guess I bit the bug:LOL:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Alright @securityguy I need your expertise haha. So looking at this forum I think everything I need is:

1) Blackvue DR-750X Plus 1 CH w/ Hardware Kit (my back window is tinted with 2 layers of limo tint so it’s probably pointless for me to get the 2-CH option)

2) Samsung Evo Select 256GB MicroSDXC

3) Etopars 5x 12v-24v Micro2 ATR Fuse Holder Adapter 15Amp. (I need 15 Amp correct?)

The deal comes with a free 32gb blackvue SD card. I basically never leave my truck parked for more than a day or 2. Is 32gb good enough or is it really worth it for the 256gb?

Thanks!!​

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Alright @securityguy I need your expertise haha. So looking at this forum I think everything I need is:

1) Blackvue DR-750X Plus 1 CH w/ Hardware Kit (my back window is tinted with 2 layers of limo tint so it’s probably pointless for me to get the 2-CH option)

2) Samsung Evo Select 256GB MicroSDXC

3) Etopars 5x 12v-24v Micro2 ATR Fuse Holder Adapter 15Amp. (I need 15 Amp correct?)

The deal comes with a free 32gb blackvue SD card. I basically never leave my truck parked for more than a day or 2. Is 32gb good enough or is it really worth it for the 256gb?

Thanks!!​

Happy to assist you my friend! So, to answer your questions:

1. Excellent choice on the DR750X-Plus!
2. If you have 2 layers of limo tint, yes, it may be a moot point for the camera. However, you can cut away a very small section of tint for the camera to see through fairly easily which is what I would do.
3. Yes on the 256GB Samsung Card
4. You want Micro2 fuse taps (15A rated) and you will plug in 5A fuses installed in the dash cam socket, not 15A

They all come with a 32GB card, for the small price of the 256GB card, it is totally worth it. Based on your recorded quality settings in the Blckvue app, 32GB won't get you very far so don't cheap out on the card. I also HIGHLY recommend you get the Polarizing Filter for the camera as well.

www.thedashcamstore.com

Feel free to PM me when you have everything you need and I'll give you my cell to help answer and questions. Very easy installation so let's go!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Happy to assist you my friend! So, to answer your questions:

1. Excellent choice on the DR750X-Plus!
2. If you have 2 layers of limo tint, yes, it may be a moot point for the camera. However, you can cut away a very small section of tint for the camera to see through fairly easily which is what I would do.
3. Yes on the 256GB Samsung Card
4. You want Micro2 fuse taps (15A rated) and you will plug in 5A fuses installed in the dash cam socket, not 15A

They all come with a 32GB card, for the small price of the 256GB card, it is totally worth it. Based on your recorded quality settings in the Blckvue app, 32GB won't get you very far so don't cheap out on the card. I also HIGHLY recommend you get the Polarizing Filter for the camera as well.

www.thedashcamstore.com

Feel free to PM me when you have everything you need and I'll give you my cell to help answer and questions. Very easy installation so let's go!
Sweet thanks so much!
Nice thing about this cam setup is that I can add the rear camera later on, so I’ll consider that in the future! With the polarizing filter will it look weird with my windshield tinted with 60% 3M Crystalline? I know with polarized sunglasses they make window tint look weird like a rainbow effect lol. And ok gotcha on the fuses. I have 2 new ones that are 25amp rated, what If I just put 5amp fuses in them? Or is 15Amp holders necessary? And ok I’ll buy the 256gb SD card!
Is thedashcamstore.com your company/website? If so I’ll definitely buy everything through there!

Thanks again!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sweet thanks so much!
Nice thing about this cam setup is that I can add the rear camera later on, so I’ll consider that in the future! With the polarizing filter will it look weird with my windshield tinted with 60% 3M Crystalline? I know with polarized sunglasses they make window tint look weird like a rainbow effect lol. And ok gotcha on the fuses. I have 2 new ones that are 25amp rated, what If I just put 5amp fuses in them? Or is 15Amp holders necessary? And ok I’ll buy the 256gb SD card!
Is thedashcamstore.com your company/website? If so I’ll definitely buy everything through there!

Thanks again!
If you have a clear tint on your windshield, you can probably forgo the camera filter. If you have 2 Micro2 fuse taps rated for 25A, that's fine. You just don't want to use a fuse greater than 5A to power the camera circuits (battery and ignition). The Dash Cam Store is not my company, but where I buy all of my cameras for the installs I do. Great to work with and solid prices.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a clear tint on your windshield, you can probably forgo the camera filter. If you have 2 Micro2 fuse taps rated for 25A, that's fine. You just don't want to use a fuse greater than 5A to power the camera circuits (battery and ignition). The Dash Cam Store is not my company, but where I buy all of my cameras for the installs I do. Great to work with and solid prices.
I have 70% ceramic tint on my windshield, and I found I still needed the polarizing filter. It reduces the glare substantially. There’s no interference between the filter and the film. I suppose both reduce the light to the camera somewhat, but I haven’t noticed an issue.

This is with a Thinkware cam, but I think it would be true regardless of the brand.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Perfect! I’ll try it without the filter first and decide if I still want to try it. Sounds good with the fuses. And alright cool well I was planning on getting it thru them anyway so I probably will unless I find a much better price somewhere else. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Perfect! I’ll try it without the filter first and decide if I still want to try it. Sounds good with the fuses. And alright cool well I was planning on getting it thru them anyway so I probably will unless I find a much better price somewhere else. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!
I think if you order the filter at the time of purchase it's like 50% off with no shipping. If you need it later, it's more expensive plus shipping. For $10, I'd just get it now.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I think if you order the filter at the time of purchase it's like 50% off with no shipping. If you need it later, it's more expensive plus shipping. For $10, I'd just get it now.
You’re right, I noticed that when I went to checkout. So I just ordered the cam & filter thru the website you mentioned, and then got some micro2 fuse taps with 5amp fuses and the 256gb microSD on Amazon. Hopefully that’s all I need to get up and running! The SD card is the longest wait, probably May 7th. But once I get it all I might be contacting you lol

Users who are viewing this thread