5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

davidn0021

Reaction score
Isn't this model dependent? The DR900X has integrated parking power management.
You are correct! Maybe the optional power management module gives you finer grain control over when to cut power vs. a hard-coded setting on the camera that you wouldn't be able to adjust?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Isn't this model dependent? The DR900X has integrated parking power management.
If you buy the DR...X, you do not need a PMP. All of the features of the PMP are built into the new Blackvue "X" models. If you have any other Blackvue or manufacturers camera, you need the PMP. Some like the separate PMP so you can manually turn off Parking Mode with the flip of a switch.

Grouper

Reaction score
...a hard-coded setting on the camera that you wouldn't be able to adjust?

It's adjustable through the app on the DR900X, though not to the tenth of a volt. If I recall, there are three or four voltage cutoff menu choices.

saylor

Reaction score
doing the needful but im going behind the sticker
20210128_174505.jpg

invest in a decent set of plastic panel pullers. i was doin the flathead screwdriver method and the 1st one i nicked the plastic. the 2nd one i stabbed my hand. the 3rd one i hit the windshield.
then i stopped and ordered the stupid tools...

20210128_174515.jpg
dirver side cover panel niblet locations

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finished up my install of the BlackVue 750x earlier today. So far I’m very pleased with the setup. Ran the wire to the rear camera down the passenger a-pillar and along the floor and had to go back and find a little slack to make it reach even being offset to the passenger side of the rear window. I probably lost a few inches since I took the time to run it inside the factory wire channel along the floor and zip tied it to factory wiring wherever I could. I took a few photos along the way, I’ll get them posted over the weekend for anyone who might be interested in a similar setup.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finished up my install of the BlackVue 750x earlier today. So far I’m very pleased with the setup. Ran the wire to the rear camera down the passenger a-pillar and along the floor and had to go back and find a little slack to make it reach even being offset to the passenger side of the rear window. I probably lost a few inches since I took the time to run it inside the factory wire channel along the floor and zip tied it to factory wiring wherever I could. I took a few photos along the way, I’ll get them posted over the weekend for anyone who might be interested in a similar setup.
Great choice...excellent camera. I'll ve interested to see how you mounted the front and routed your wires. Hopefully you have looked through this thread on various dash cam installs and used the advice offered.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great choice...excellent camera. I'll ve interested to see how you mounted the front and routed your wires. Hopefully you have looked through this thread on various dash cam installs and used the advice offered.
I have indeed read most of this thread, and after seeing all the different options in it, I liked the way the Blackvue cams looked and felt they would work best for me overall with what I wanted to do.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As promised, here are some photos of the Blackvue 750X dash cam setup I installed this week.

I wanted a camera that would allow me to get the lens centered on the windshield, below my toll pass, while not obstructing my view at all. As you can see from the 2 photos below, mission accomplished.

IMG_9211.jpeg

View from the driver's perspective:

IMG_9217.jpeg

From the passenger side, you can clearly see the camera, but I don't sit there, and it's actually not as intrusive as the photo makes it seem. Wires are run into the sensor cover through two tiny slots I made with a round file to keep things neat.

IMG_9212.jpeg

The wiring on the driver's side is run down the a-pillar and secured to the existing wiring, well out of the way of the airbag.

IMG_9215.jpeg

I tapped into the fuse panel using F66 for the switched power source, and F33 for the constant power to be able to utilize parking mode. Both have 5 amp fuses installed for the additional circuits as I didn't have any lower ones. F66 also provides the power to my front camera; no issues with having them both running off the 5 amp fuse. Extra wiring is bundled up and zip-tied to an existing harness behind the panel on the end of the dash.

IMG_9214.jpeg

On the passenger side I opted to run it along the floor inside the factory wiring channel in lieu of trying to snake it through the headliner and around the airbags. It comes down the a-pillar just like the other side and then goes into the plastic channel all the way to the back where it then goes up behind the plastic on the c-pillar and over to the rear camera.

IMG_9219.jpeg

The rear camera is mounted on the passenger side portion of the rear window, with it flipped and moved over as close to the middle as I could get it. Looking at the videos from it, there is plenty of visibility to see to the rear as well as off to the sides a good bit. Eventually I may get an adapter that has a 90 degree end on it, but for now it's fine and really isn't that noticeable either from the driver's seat, or looking in from the outside.

IMG_9213.jpeg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As promised, here are some photos of the Blackvue 750X dash cam setup I installed this week.

I wanted a camera that would allow me to get the lens centered on the windshield, below my toll pass, while not obstructing my view at all. As you can see from the 2 photos below, mission accomplished.

View attachment 81204

View from the driver's perspective:

View attachment 81209

From the passenger side, you can clearly see the camera, but I don't sit there, and it's actually not as intrusive as the photo makes it seem. Wires are run into the sensor cover through two tiny slots I made with a round file to keep things neat.

View attachment 81205

The wiring on the driver's side is run down the a-pillar and secured to the existing wiring, well out of the way of the airbag.

View attachment 81208

I tapped into the fuse panel using F66 for the switched power source, and F33 for the constant power to be able to utilize parking mode. Both have 5 amp fuses installed for the additional circuits as I didn't have any lower ones. F66 also provides the power to my front camera; no issues with having them both running off the 5 amp fuse. Extra wiring is bundled up and zip-tied to an existing harness behind the panel on the end of the dash.

View attachment 81207

On the passenger side I opted to run it along the floor inside the factory wiring channel in lieu of trying to snake it through the headliner and around the airbags. It comes down the a-pillar just like the other side and then goes into the plastic channel all the way to the back where it then goes up behind the plastic on the c-pillar and over to the rear camera.

View attachment 81210

The rear camera is mounted on the passenger side portion of the rear window, with it flipped and moved over as close to the middle as I could get it. Looking at the videos from it, there is plenty of visibility to see to the rear as well as off to the sides a good bit. Eventually I may get an adapter that has a 90 degree end on it, but for now it's fine and really isn't that noticeable either from the driver's seat, or looking in from the outside.

View attachment 81214
Nice install.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
Exactly how my install went down to the location of the cams and cable routing, except I decided on the Viofo A129 Duo. I may be regretting getting the Viofo now only because the front cam is much more visible from my driving position. I wouldn't call it distracting at all but I like the idea of not being able to see it, very nice job on yours.

Though out of pocket I am well under half the $ of the Blackvue. perhaps I will get all the goodie out of the Viofo and when it is time to replace I will loosen the purse strings a little and opt for the Blackvue.

Users who are viewing this thread