5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone know the trick to removing the cover on housing behind rear view mirror? Not sure it pulls up or out, trying not to pull to hard on it after reading someone on forum cracking there windshield.
PM me and I"ll give you my cell for a quick chat.

JustBrowsing

Reaction score
Wow. Two posts and this is how you use the second one? Your opinion is worthless as many people are running these cameras and are happy with them.

You could provide some detail as to why "that camera is junk", but just making the statement the way you did is worthless.
Your camera has many issues, one the recording format is not industry standard, it has ir lights on it which aren’t needed for night driving. The quality of the image/video is not up to par. Want a good camera check out DDPai

Straightener

Reaction score
After running through all 26 pages here, simple question: my '19 Ram interior fuse panel uses Micro3 fuses. I ended up running power from the engine bay fuse panel, however, I would prefer to undo this and reconnect via the interior panel. I have had a hell of a time finding Mico3 ANYTHING. What is the deal with these fuses? Are the Micro2s backward compatible? Is my truck a "red-headed" stepchild? I am trying to troubleshoot some issues with my dashcam (went with Nextbase) and I want to ensure I am getting clean power. Off the top of my head I don't recall which fuse I used from the engine bay, but I was certain it was one that did NOT have constant power.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your F33 and F66 fuses, which some of us used for constant and ACC power for our dash cams and whatnot, should be micro 2... see POST #471 for pics that MayhemMOORE posted.

...but anyway, a quick search on Amazon listed several Micro 3 fuses and fuse taps.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
After running through all 26 pages here, simple question: my '19 Ram interior fuse panel uses Micro3 fuses. I ended up running power from the engine bay fuse panel, however, I would prefer to undo this and reconnect via the interior panel. I have had a hell of a time finding Mico3 ANYTHING. What is the deal with these fuses? Are the Micro2s backward compatible? Is my truck a "red-headed" stepchild? I am trying to troubleshoot some issues with my dashcam (went with Nextbase) and I want to ensure I am getting clean power. Off the top of my head I don't recall which fuse I used from the engine bay, but I was certain it was one that did NOT have constant power.
A Micro2 is a 2-blade fuse. A Micro3 is a 3-blade fuse. You just need Micro2 fuse taps to connect to the fuse panel. As @grimreefer stated, you want to use both F33 and F66 for your battery and accessory power connections assuming you are going to use Parking Mode which I highly recommend!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(Sorry for the OT)

Dashcam question: if I want a rear camera, that's separate from the main dashcam (I don't want video watching the inside of the truck, I want video of the OUTSIDE behind the truck), are there any good recommendations for dashcams that have the rear connect to the front/main camera?

Or, do you just create two totally independent installs?

Thanks,
Ken

Yangster

Reaction score
(Sorry for the OT)

Dashcam question: if I want a rear camera, that's separate from the main dashcam (I don't want video watching the inside of the truck, I want video of the OUTSIDE behind the truck), are there any good recommendations for dashcams that have the rear connect to the front/main camera?

Thanks,
Ken
The rear camera is for recording the outside of the truck, not the inside.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
(Sorry for the OT)

Thanks,
Ken
Your best option is the Blackvue DR750X-2CH if you are willing to spend a bit more for a very high quality set-up. It also has parking mode built in so no additional accessories needed. If you have more questions, PM me and we can talk via phone.

If you are on a tight budget, this is the nicest of the "cheap" camera set-ups:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your best option is the Blackvue DR750X-2CH if you are willing to spend a bit more for a very high quality set-up. It also has parking mode built in so no additional accessories needed. If you have more questions, PM me and we can talk via phone.

If you are on a tight budget, this is the nicest of the "cheap" camera set-ups:

Looking at them, it's a single body mounted on the front windshield, with a second lense facing to the rear. Wouldn't that wide-angle rear lense miss a lot of behind-the-vehicle action?

Ahhh....Looking closer, I see that these models are TWO camera models. Perfect! Thank you.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your camera has many issues, one the recording format is not industry standard, it has ir lights on it which aren’t needed for night driving. The quality of the image/video is not up to par. Want a good camera check out DDPai
Are you talking MP4? The Blackvue also uses MP4. The compression is H.264 and H.265. Both of those are video compression standards. MP4 is also the industry standard for video recording formats. What are you trying to say?

Many cameras have an IR feature, but isn't necessary for night driving unless you're Uber or Lyft and want to see the inside of the car. IR does nothing for external viewing. I think the video quality is very good with tight contrast, color and clarity.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.06.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.06.08 PM.png
    925.4 KB · Views: 68

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you talking MP4? The Blackvue also uses MP4. The compression is H.264 and H.265. Both of those are video compression standards. MP4 is also the industry standard for video recording formats. What are you trying to say?

Many cameras have an IR feature, but isn't necessary for night driving unless you're Uber or Lyft and want to see the inside of the car. IR does nothing for external viewing. I think the video quality is very good with tight contrast, color and clarity.
Exactly @scottmoyer!

JDHarris

Reaction score
For people using an external battery for parking mode (Blackvue b-124x in my case), where are you hiding the battery? I’m looking for someplace out of the way. I don’t see much room under the dash or under the seats. Is there someplace behind or under the center console, elsewhere in the front of the cab, or under the dash that I’m not seeing?

sd2134

Reaction score
FYI, Found 2 amp Micro 2 fuses in stock at O Reilly Auto Parts.
Cut off old style glass fuses and added 2 amp Micro 2 fuse to the new fuse tap for the camera feed.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For my Street Guardian 2CH model, I had to get an 8 meter USB Camera Cable from them to get to the top of the Bed Cap.
There was also a Hardwire Kit for Parking Mode.

Malodave

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the original writeup. It made my Valentine1 install easy peasy. (The hoodliner is really glued down well at the windshield.)

Users who are viewing this thread