5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F33 and F66 both have fuses in them. The hardwire kit I have has fuses built into the wires and no extra slot to plug a second fuse into. If I remove the fuses and plug these wires in, will i then lose power to what those 2 fuses (f33 and F66) were protecting? Will the new wires with built in fuses take the place of the f33 and F66 and protect both the hardwired camera and the always on and ignition powered devices? Would it be best to just find empty fuse locations? If so which empty fuse locations have people discovered as ignition and always on? Thanks.

Dash Cam Hardwire Kit, Upgrade Mini USB Hard Wire Charger Power Cord Kit with 4 Fuse Tap Cables for Dash Camera, Car DVR, GPS Navigator, Radar Detectors and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GH29VH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nc-LEbRK95ZNT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
F33 and F66 both have fuses in them. The hardwire kit I have has fuses built into the wires and no extra slot to plug a second fuse into. If I remove the fuses and plug these wires in, will i then lose power to what those 2 fuses (f33 and F66) were protecting? Will the new wires with built in fuses take the place of the f33 and F66 and protect both the hardwired camera and the always on and ignition powered devices? Would it be best to just find empty fuse locations? If so which empty fuse locations have people discovered as ignition and always on? Thanks.
You need to purchase Fuse Taps which will retain the factory fuse and provide an additional output for an accessory so you lose nothing and gain everything. Check Amazon and search for FUSE TAPS. You'll need to order the right fuse tap size to fit our trucks.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this setup on my F150 and just finished the install on my RAM. I run a Viofo A129 dual dash cam, with the rear cam mounted on the passenger side of the sliding rear window (cable tucked up inside the headliner on the passenger side.

Dash cam - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTBB4R5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hard wire kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ1JYPJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fuse Tap (not shown in below pics) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077PBXGKQ/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking at the owners manual, there is a fuse box located below the steering column, fuse F66 is unused, 10a and labelled as an accessory fuse. Fuses - Constant 12V is F33, switched 12V is F66.

u49d9UT.jpg

The dash panel below the steering column is held on by two bolts at the bottom and a bunch of clips, I used a non marring trim removal tool to help loosen those up. Once it's off, you'll have open access to the fuse block.

YIEylAX.jpg

J7oSsXk.jpg

Not pictured below is the fuse tap I used, the link above fits perfectly.

TxSzqku.jpg

The trim panel to the left of the instrument panel pops off with trim removal tools as well (a few clips holding it on). Use a phillips screwdriver to loosen up one of the screws enough to get the ground wire in place and mounted. A few zip ties to keep the wiring in place and from bouncing around as well.

J5aa3Z9.jpg

On my F150 I pulled off the A pillar trip piece to route the wiring up and into the front of the headliner, over to where I mounted the dash cam by the mirror. In the RAM, I was able to sneak it behind the A pillar trim without removing it.

pCJMpy4.jpg

qjOGswC.jpg

pEZQSs2.jpg

PklzaI0.jpg

Hope this helps!

***Edited - When I originally wrote this I had a G1W dash cam, I've since switched to the Viofo***
For some reason F66 is not showing power when i push the button to Accessory

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I installed a viofo a129 pro.
Used the viofo park wire bundle accessorie and two micro fuse splice's.
Red wire to fuse 33. Acc yellow wire to fuse 66.
Black ground to bolt on right side of fuse box.
. No tpms errors of any kind. Placed it left side of mirror. Wire to rear around passager side head liner and power across driverside and down to a pillar to fuse box. All good and tidy..
Im curious as to how this could cause a TPMS errors

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here...as an EE, I have no clue as there should be very little, if any, RF interference created from powering a very low power dash cam.

Happened to me. The rear camera cable was the cause and it emitted just enough noise to get in the way of the front wheel TPMS. The receiver is mounted to the back wall of the cab so any noise close in spectrum inside the cab is perfectly positioned to interfere. New thicker, more shielded cable from Viofo and problem solved. Also made my tailgate sensor and keyless entry work like before the camera initial install.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You missed my point, both sides of the fuse panel are POSITIVE, one terminal is NOT POSITIVE and the other NEGATIVE. Yes, one side is supply and the other is FEED. Doublecheck your post 242 ;)
lol..im still confused so is the guy taps wrong or right?

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got it all working without interference. I installed one each of these ~4" from each end of the cable:

I then uncoiled what was in the headliner and the extra cable (about 9') just runs down the passenger C pillar and is actually loose behind the back seat. About 2-3' of it is just laying on the carpet under the seat but no more keyfob or TPMS issues. I'm probably just going to leave that all as is until Viofo sends me the new thicker cable.
you put the rf blocker on the rear camera cable and not the front camera cable correct? i just got mine in and trying to figure out how to do this also, how did you re route your rear camera cable? did you route it down the floor strip then back up pillar on passenger side??

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you put the rf blocker on the rear camera cable and not the front camera cable correct? i just got mine in and trying to figure out how to do this also, how did you re route your rear camera cable? did you route it down the floor strip then back up pillar on passenger side??

I put the chokes at both ends of the rear camera cable but ultimately that didn't solve the issue. I got in touch with Viofo tech support and they sent me a thicker, more shielded rear camera cable. That did the trick with no chokes needed. I routed it down the A pillar and under both door sills. Worked out perfectly with no worry about the air bags topside.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
lol..im still confused so is the guy taps wrong or right?
When you are dealing with FUSE PANEL...EVERYTHING is POSITIVE...the is no negative on a fuse panel. You get the negative from connecting the BLACK wire to a solid metal vehicle ground. On a fuse panel, there is power supplied and fused coming from the battery (constant power) or power that is fused and switched by the ignition (ignition on - power on; ignition off - power off). All I can say is that if this isn't 100% crystal clear, then you should not be doing any wiring on your car and should take it to a professional ;) If you would like to PM me, and discuss this via phone, I am happy to give you my cell as I hate to see people royally screw things up on their on vehicles because they do not understand electricity.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put the chokes at both ends of the rear camera cable but ultimately that didn't solve the issue. I got in touch with Viofo tech support and they sent me a thicker, more shielded rear camera cable. That did the trick with no chokes needed. I routed it down the A pillar and under both door sills. Worked out perfectly with no worry about the air bags topside.
I just bought the VIOFO A129 PRO 4K front and rear camera set-up for my daughters SUV. For the price, it is rated as the best 4K camera on the market and I was very impressed. The picture quality is superior to that of the Blackvue DR900 which is almost twice the cost. The cables that come with the newer units are thick and shielded which will prevent all interference issues. The only change I wish they would make is to have right angle plugs for the top of both cameras so you can get the cameras higher up on the windows versus the cables sticking straight out of the top.

For anyone looking for a high quality dash cam that is top ranked at a reasonable cost, I highly recommend the VIOFO A129 series.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you are dealing with FUSE PANEL...EVERYTHING is POSITIVE...the is no negative on a fuse panel. You get the negative from connecting the BLACK wire to a solid metal vehicle ground. On a fuse panel, there is power supplied and fused coming from the battery (constant power) or power that is fused and switched by the ignition (ignition on - power on; ignition off - power off). All I can say is that if this isn't 100% crystal clear, then you should not be doing any wiring on your car and should take it to a professional ;) If you would like to PM me, and discuss this via phone, I am happy to give you my cell as I hate to see people royally screw things up on their on vehicles because they do not understand electricity.
So, by understanding what you said its about keeping track of which side is the load side and supply side...if thats the case then he had his fuse tap backwards like the guy said correct

dn325ci

Reaction score
Just simply adding my thanks to the OG OP. I hardwired a Valentine One Gen 2 with this approach. Super easy this way.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just simply adding my thanks to the OG OP. I hardwired a Valentine One Gen 2 with this approach. Super easy this way.

How you like your Valentine One Gen2? What did you running before? I'm running Valentine One Gen1 with most recent firmware right now, trying to justify $499 price tag worth or not.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check out the reviews on the V1G2...there are better detectors out there and they have had a lot of reliability issues.

aLarge92

Reaction score
First off great writeup and a lot of useful information on this thread. I was able to get my Viofo A129 hardwired pretty easy.

My only question is regarding the rear camera, how did everyone run the cable from front to rear?
I ran mine along the headliner but the cable is pretty thick and opens up the rubber seal some.
Also, where did everyone store the extra cable length? I easily have a couple of feet of extra cable length.

Here is everything I bought to get it hard wired.

Users who are viewing this thread