5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growling brakes in Reverse!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The part number for the anti moan kit (in Canada) is 68446866AA, it is probably the same in the US but I’m not 100% sure. I’ll see if I can dig up the star case number.

Tsb is 05-002-19

Last edited:

KcRay

Reaction score
The part number for the anti moan kit (in Canada) is 68446866AA, it is probably the same in the US but I’m not 100% sure. I’ll see if I can dig up the star case number.

Tsb is 05-002-19
Thanks, I knew there was a TSB fix, just keep forgetting to tell the dealership. I really need to remember this, the next time I'm in for service.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a fix for this where the dealer installs anti moan brackets on the rear calipers. I just had this done and it fixed my brake moan problem.
Glad to hear this - I have an appt for the brake moan kit next week and was hoping someone could confirm it works!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear this - I have an appt for the brake moan kit next week and was hoping someone could confirm it works!

The anti moan brackets are really thick steel, the brake mounting tabs on the rear axle must flex quite a bit to make the god awful fog horn sound my truck was making every morning in drive or reverse. Zero brake noise since the kit was installed.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the kit installed today - have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works but no mistaking the fact they did the work! In and out in 30min.

Attachments

• 20210122_113738.jpg
    20210122_113738.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 180

pMak26

Reaction score
Uhh... wtf is that?? A bracket U-bolted to the axle??

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fix for the rear brake moan is to install anti moan brackets to the rear brake mounting tabs which prevent the rear brakes from vibrating when cold/wet/clearing residual rust.

These brackets are very thick and seem to do the job, it looks as if the mounting location on the rear axles is to flexible and allows the rear brakes to vibrate under certain conditions. Mine did and sounded like a fog horn every morning once the weather cooled off, although it is just a bandaid fix it seems to work.

Tsb:

TSB 05-002-19​

pounds

Reaction score
I had the same noise and did the tsb fix myself. There is no more annoying moaning noise.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed my brakes now make a moaning noise when braking in drive - likely the normal rust removal from moisture overnight but prior to the brake kit I never heard this so perhaps it was happening at the same time as the reverse vibrations...

Reaction score
I can confirm this. 2020 Ram Rebel. Just had the "Moan Kit" installed as Warranty at the dealer. Coincidentally, they did this while also replacing my back glass. Good service from the dealer.

IMG-9091.jpg

A10

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck today from the dealer. They were working on the rear brake squeal/moan as well. However, it was a different tsb, it was 05-001-19. This one does not include those brackets. Time will tell if it worked.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
Did my kit installed today at dealer.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Tomcat68

Reaction score
I called Dealer today to get an appt for the brake noise. As soon as she heard what I described, she knew what it was and advised me there was a TSB. Said don't bother coming in and we will order the parts first and then schedule you in.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JSS

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this update, @Whoseanthony. Please follow up with me via private message to provide your VIN so I can look into this further for you.

Mark
RamCares
So, does it hurt the truck to drive it with this moaning brake issue until my first dealer visit for oil change?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello again--

I'm glad that so many of you are being proactive and getting this properly diagnosed and addressed by your certified Ram dealers. If anyone happens to need additional support while working with your dealers to get this resolved, just send our @RamCares team a private message and we would be more than willing to look into your situations further to see where we can be of assistance. Otherwise, I hope your dealers are able to reach a resolution smoothly!

Thank you in advance,

Courtney
Ram Cares

jbet49

Reaction score
TSB 05 002-19 is for the 2019 & 2020 model year. My 2021 has the same brake issue but the dealership has to request to perform the repair. I spent an hour in the shop to find this out today. Hopefully the repair will be approved.
So you 2021 owners, make sure you check with service and have them get the repair approved first so you don't waste your time.

doolin64

Reaction score
Dealership took care of it for me on my '21. At first, they called and said the same thing to me. That it was only for '19 and '20's. I told them per the tsb it's weather dependent and doesn't do it all the time. I told them I understand why they won't do it, to please order the parts and I will pay for them and have them installed. When they called me back later after finding the cause of my whistle, they told me they would perform the tsb for the brakes. I'm assuming they got it approval at that point. Didn't cost me anything and you can see the bracket they added. Brakes have been quiet since.

Users who are viewing this thread