5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

gwatt86

Reaction score
Any new information regarding 2019 model year with this issue? TSB covers 2020-2021 but no follow up was done for 2019
This.

In these forums, it seems its more consistent with the 2019's. I've called the two dealers in my town and both act like they haven't heard of it. I think I need to just drive up, tell them to hop in, and turn in circles to the right. In my research on various sites, replacing the steering rack seems to fix it.

RAM/Cuda

Reaction score
Mine is doing it all of the Time Now....
Should not be a Problem Replicating the Issue for the Dealer.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Mines a 2020 and has been doing it while turning right for a bit and now does it going left. My front tires also have started to feather on the outside tread

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

sputnic6

Reaction score
Does anyone have any details on this tsb who’ve had their steering column repaired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kadams

Reaction score
See post 165 above there’s a TSB for 2020-2021s.
I just went to the dealer friday and the guy told me exactly what you said in your post. it seems they want people to trade in - new 2021 ram $70,000 and their inventory is nothing !

Kadams

Reaction score
Ridiculous that i have had my 2019 ram in for the right hand turn grind 3 times and they cant reproduce the noise. Dodge is fully aware of the problem but no fix yet!!!!

Kadams

Reaction score
This.

In these forums, it seems its more consistent with the 2019's. I've called the two dealers in my town and both act like they haven't heard of it. I think I need to just drive up, tell them to hop in, and turn in circles to the right. In my research on various sites, replacing the steering rack seems to fix it.
then i hear the rack isnt the fix after a new one is installed

Motorcop71

Reaction score
I took my 2020 Limited in to my dealer who has previously duplicated and documented the condition by the way, to have the TSB performed. I was told that it only applies to vehicles manufactured after mine (7/19) and that a TSB on mine would be forthcoming but they had no idea when. I called Customer Care and opened a case but they haven’t been very responsive. I also have the issue where the automatic emergency breaking activates for no reason and scares the hell out of me. I love these trucks but it looks like this will be my 4th and final RAM.

Last edited:

speedracernc

Reaction score
Mine went away after I replaced my tires. After about 10k miles the symptoms are starting to return. The dealer already documented it prior to warranty expiring but had no fix. I will inquire again at my next oil change. It must have something to do with tire wear. I will have a tire rotation with my oil change and see if it goes away again for some amount of time.

Motorcop71

Reaction score
Mine went away after I replaced my tires. After about 10k miles the symptoms are starting to return. The dealer already documented it prior to warranty expiring but had no fix. I will inquire again at my next oil change. It must have something to do with tire wear. I will have a tire rotation with my oil change and see if it goes away again for some amount of time.
That’s interesting. I’m sorry to hear it came back. RAM CS has been awful to deal with. My rep doesn’t respond to emails or voicemails. Never calls back when she says she will. Very poor customer service. Honestly, if there was another vehicle I was interested in I’d already be in it. There’s just nothing appealing to me right now. Good luck with yours. Please keep us posted.

ACovelle

Reaction score
2019 Limited, Same issue. Just got back from the Dealer and they couldn't replicate, going back to the dealer tomorrow to ride with someone. Funny enough, i have a dashcam and watched the video...they drove it in constant circles in a parking lot, changing direction once. probably 10 rotations in each direction. no sound. As soon as i got it back, i made it happen consistently, but not in a constant turn. It only happens when youre going INTO a right hand turn from straight, so driving a square pattern between 5-10mph consistently makes it happen every time.

gwatt86

Reaction score
2019 Limited, Same issue. Just got back from the Dealer and they couldn't replicate, going back to the dealer tomorrow to ride with someone. Funny enough, i have a dashcam and watched the video...they drove it in constant circles in a parking lot, changing direction once. probably 10 rotations in each direction. no sound. As soon as i got it back, i made it happen consistently, but not in a constant turn. It only happens when youre going INTO a right hand turn from straight, so driving a square pattern between 5-10mph consistently makes it happen every time.
As you said, drive in a square, just like your hunting for a parking spot. Curious to know what they say after you ride with them. Keep us posted.

jgibbs913

Reaction score
This week I towed my camper from south Florida to Georgia. After unloading it I started having the rear shuddering feeling on slow turns left or right. My wife started complaining and it gradually got worse as the few days went on. This morning before I left to come home I stopped at autozone and changes out my rear diff fluid. I did my slow turning left and right and the shake went away. I didn’t feel it in the rear anymore or in the steering wheel. Only took about two minutes to change out in the autozone parking lot in the rain.

gwatt86

Reaction score
This week I towed my camper from south Florida to Georgia. After unloading it I started having the rear shuddering feeling on slow turns left or right. My wife started complaining and it gradually got worse as the few days went on. This morning before I left to come home I stopped at autozone and changes out my rear diff fluid. I did my slow turning left and right and the shake went away. I didn’t feel it in the rear anymore or in the steering wheel. Only took about two minutes to change out in the autozone parking lot in the rain.
I've not felt it in the rear, only the steering wheel. I want to say I've seen changing rear diff on other threads/forums to fix this grinding. I'm not sure if anyone who has tried this has gone another 10K-20K miles to see if it comes back. I'm working on trading my 2019 mainly for this issue, its very annoying. I may give this a try but again, wonder if its just a temporary fix. Thanks for posting!

Floyd

Reaction score
I've not felt it in the rear, only the steering wheel. I want to say I've seen changing rear diff on other threads/forums to fix this grinding. I'm not sure if anyone who has tried this has gone another 10K-20K miles to see if it comes back. I'm working on trading my 2019 mainly for this issue, its very annoying. I may give this a try but again, wonder if its just a temporary fix. Thanks for posting!
New steering rack fixed it

gwatt86

Reaction score
Sure did.
Man, why in the world can't RAM/FCA/whoever figure this out?

How long has it been since your steering rack has been replaced and not heard the noise again? My dad traded his 19' Laramie this week for a 21' for this reason and so far, so good on the 21'. That was the first thing he tested.

Users who are viewing this thread