5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Screen Android Auto Coming Soon?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also really wonder if full screen Android Auto is really coming to UC5. They have to change the full layout and lots of testing. While it is probably for an "old" truck as probably the 2024 MY will be a gen 6 truck with different software or whatever again.
What are you even talking about?
IPhone Carplay supports fullscreen, it's no different then if they got AA to use the full screen.

AA already supports any of these screen sizes and resolution, it's up to Ram to enable it.

But yeah, full screen AA is never coming to UC5. Ram doesn't care about adding new features just bugfixes to try and keep people happy. maybe with UC6 it will be full screen but it aint ever coming to UC5. It's not rocket science.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
we just have to wait and hope. Although, the functionality of coolwalk is very limited. Waze doesn't support it yet, and when I use google maps for example, I have only Telegram that can resides at the smaller right side of the screen. I thought that I would be able to split every app I want.

grazsrootz

Reaction score
Do we have any updates here @RamCares this feature would really complete the experience for the system. I'm tired of only utilizing half the screen for android auto

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

RankinX

Reaction score
This sucks so bad knowing that the backbone of the uconnect system is running android, yet apple car play actually is using the whole screen. This is stupid.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do we have any updates here @RamCares this feature would really complete the experience for the system. I'm tired of only utilizing half the screen for android auto

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Hi grazsrootz,

Thanks for the tag! At this time, we do not have an update on this, but we're happy to share once any new details become available.

Steph
Ram Cares

g00fy

Reaction score
It's not going to happen.
As long as the UC5 hardware is unchanged for the next couple model years, they'll add it if it's capable, which it is.

However if they've already got new hardware in the pipeline for say 2024, I could see them writing off the current hardware/firmware as "we've already got their money and it's stable enough, so lets focus our resources on programming for the new hardware."

But I'm pretty sure if the UC5 is sticking around for a while, they'll add the feature, that's an important feature to a lot of potential new tech savvy truck buyers. Maybe it'll be pushed as a mid-year 2023MY, or a 2024MY feature update that comes preloaded in new trucks. The only issue I can see there is they may hold back the OTA for the older trucks for a while, in which case we'll have to hope the update gets leaked on the forum here if we don't want to wait.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As long as the UC5 hardware is unchanged for the next couple model years, they'll add it if it's capable, which it is.

However if they've already got new hardware in the pipeline for say 2024, I could see them writing off the current hardware/firmware as "we've already got their money and it's stable enough, so lets focus our resources on programming for the new hardware."

But I'm pretty sure if the UC5 is sticking around for a while, they'll add the feature, that's an important feature to a lot of potential new tech savvy truck buyers. Maybe it'll be pushed as a mid-year 2023MY, or a 2024MY feature update that comes preloaded in new trucks. The only issue I can see there is they may hold back the OTA for the older trucks for a while, in which case we'll have to hope the update gets leaked on the forum here if we don't want to wait.
It's already changed in the 2023.
There are differnet software versions for UC5 on those trucks that are not compatible with 2022s UC5.

Sorry to still say it aint happening.

AA and CarPlay are major selling features when it comes to car radio head units. It hasn't been supported\working since they came out in 2021, 3 years ago

g00fy

Reaction score
It's already changed in the 2023.
There are differnet software versions for UC5 on those trucks that are not compatible with 2022s UC5.

Sorry to still say it aint happening.

AA and CarPlay are major selling features when it comes to car radio head units. It hasn't been supported\working since they came out in 2021, 3 years ago
This is news to me, what's the software version?

g00fy

Reaction score
MY23.T25.48
Well, I'll be damned, 2023's have a different radio module part number, so they changed the hardware already... I guess everyone with a 2022 may be SOL if Uconnect has already moved on to new hardware/firmware.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned, 2023's have a different radio module part number, so they changed the hardware already... I guess everyone with a 2022 may be SOL if Uconnect has already moved on to new hardware/firmware.
I think it's because of the digital dash. It can project the nav info, which means an additional screen to output to IE different firmware.
They in theory could of kept the existing firmware and added on, but they obviously didn't choose to.

g00fy

Reaction score
I think it's because of the digital dash. It can project the nav info, which means an additional screen to output to IE different firmware.
They in theory could of kept the existing firmware and added on, but they obviously didn't choose to.
Of course they had to make it as difficult as possible... Now I gotta figure out if a 2023 UC5 will work with my old 2019 BCM.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
you think that in a 2023 truck, with digital cluster, it will be a full screen Android auto on the 12"?

g00fy

Reaction score
Turns out @Jimmy07 took the gamble and uploaded the 2023 firmware to his 2022, and it took. However it created some issues that required him to change the model year setting in his BCM to 2023.

By doing that it fixed some issues but also created new ones with other components in the truck. So I'm figuring the Uconnect hardware is the same, but they made some big changes in the firmware that don't communicate with certain other pre 2023 components in the truck.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out @Jimmy07 took the gamble and uploaded the 2023 firmware to his 2022, and it took. However it created some issues that required him to change the model year setting in his BCM to 2023.

By doing that it fixed some issues but also created new ones with other components in the truck. So I'm figuring the Uconnect hardware is the same, but they made some big changes in the firmware that don't communicate with certain other pre 2023 components in the truck.
That actually turned out to be a false alarm. After sitting for a day, everything started working correctly, although AlfaOBD does need to be used to change the BCM model year to 2023 only for the trailer surround view option.

Roman2179

Reaction score
Same as @Jimmy07, I had to change the year to 2023 to get all of my surround view icons back, specifically the left/right mirror cameras as I don't have trailer surround view turned on. In my case, the radio lost its apps / menus until I did a factory reset of the radio but other than that the update was pretty painless.

The bad news on the AA front, it still only takes up half the screen so no improvements there.

Users who are viewing this thread