5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Screen Android Auto Coming Soon?

Solracer

Reaction score
PLEASE full screen AA.

Also, would be nice to be able to at least split the bottom as in that photo. Currently, I can't.

thekeithlane

Reaction score
Mac424,

There are no full screen with the Android phones just yet. We will take this feedback to discuss with our partners for future strategic implementation.

William
Ram Cares
So in other words:
"we're going to take your request and put it in this nice hold bin we have here."
*crumples up and throws in trash*

Is there a place we can vote on what gets implemented?
Quite honestly its a great truck with a frustrating phone / tech experience - the downside is that every time I get in the truck, it's with my phone.

mac424

Reaction score
So in other words:
"we're going to take your request and put it in this nice hold bin we have here."
*crumples up and throws in trash*

Is there a place we can vote on what gets implemented?
Quite honestly its a great truck with a frustrating phone / tech experience - the downside is that every time I get in the truck, it's with my phone.
LOL that's kind of how I took it. Ultimately not a decision Ramcares can make. I'm sure it went to a feature request somewhere.

What's funny is that Apple Car Play has 2 features over Android Auto:

1. The ability to put Apple Car Play on the main Home Page in a tile
2. The ability to go full screen

So the functionality is possible. Android Auto on the Home screen as a tile should have been a feature from jump. That's not or at least it should not be a limitation of the unit it's self. Hell, the system is ANDROID based!

Full Screen Android Auto, might be a limitation of the AA it's self or a radio limitation. The answer, we'll never know.

I've owned plenty of modern Mopars of the years, consumer voices are heard, but it does take some time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL that's kind of how I took it. Ultimately not a decision Ramcares can make. I'm sure it went to a feature request somewhere.

What's funny is that Apple Car Play has 2 features over Android Auto:

1. The ability to put Apple Car Play on the main Home Page in a tile
2. The ability to go full screen

So the functionality is possible. Android Auto on the Home screen as a tile should have been a feature from jump. That's not or at least it should not be a limitation of the unit it's self. Hell, the system is ANDROID based!

Full Screen Android Auto, might be a limitation of the AA it's self or a radio limitation. The answer, we'll never know.

I've owned plenty of modern Mopars of the years, consumer voices are heard, but it does take some time.
Not sure about your display, but when I plug my phone in to USB, the Android auto icon pops up on main screen.

mac424

Reaction score
Not sure about your display, but when I plug my phone in to USB, the Android auto icon pops up on main screen.
Correct. The icon shows, but you can't add an Android Auto widget to the Home Display area. So if you wanted google maps showing in the Home Display, it's not possible.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. The icon shows, but you can't add an Android Auto widget to the Home Display area. So if you wanted google maps showing in the Home Display, it's not possible.
I guess I'm not understanding the issue? I have to plug my phone in to use Android Auto. When I do that, Google maps automatically opens on my 12" screen. Why exactly would I need a wigit?

tdager

Reaction score
It seems like people were complaining about this in 2019 and it doesn't seem to have been fixed yet. It's really annoying not having full screen. I want to use Waze and trying to put an address in the screen is so compact its impossible to scroll or see anything.

@RamCares Would love to see an update on this feature people have been asking for for a while!
Truly trying to understand this. Are you saying that having 1/2 of a 12" diagonal screen is too small? Do you ever type on your phone? The screen size for even half of the 12" is HUGE.

grazsrootz

Reaction score
Truly trying to understand this. Are you saying that having 1/2 of a 12" diagonal screen is too small? Do you ever type on your phone? The screen size for even half of the 12" is HUGE.
The nav screen is farther away and also needs to able to glanced at quickly to not distract from the road. Not to mention, that about 1 inch is set aside for the Android auto navigation bar so you are getting maybe 4 or 4 and a half inches for the map in waze or Google maps when the screen is split in half like that. The car play implementation is much, much better

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The nav screen is farther away and also needs to able to glanced at quickly to not distract from the road. Not to mention, that about 1 inch is set aside for the Android auto navigation bar so you are getting maybe 4 or 4 and a half inches for the map in waze or Google maps when the screen is split in half like that. The car play implementation is much, much better

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Turn by turn audio navigation almost eliminates the need to glance at the maps. And people have been using far smaller screens for years, with Garmin type navigation devices, than even half of the 12" display. But somehow having a 4x6 display is too small now? Honestly if 1/2 of the 12" display is too small for you, then just skip the navigation all together.

jkinton

Reaction score
Turn by turn audio navigation almost eliminates the need to glance at the maps. And people have been using far smaller screens for years, with Garmin type navigation devices, than even half of the 12" display. But somehow having a 4x6 display is too small now? Honestly if 1/2 of the 12" display is too small for you, then just skip the navigation all together.

Nobody "needs" a 12 inch display in a pickup truck.

The point is that the full screen capability is currently available for Apple Car Play, but not Android Auto. Some of us with Android phones would like comparable functionality. And with the new Coolwalk release, full screen capability will be very useful.

If you don't think Ram should add the capability for Android Auto, that's fine. Your vote is no.

But telliing those of us who want the functionality that we should "just skip the navigation" is unnecessarily confrontational.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody "needs" a 12 inch display in a pickup truck.

The point is that the full screen capability is currently available for Apple Car Play, but not Android Auto. Some of us with Android phones would like comparable functionality. And with the new Coolwalk release, full screen capability will be very useful.

If you don't think Ram should add the capability for Android Auto, that's fine. Your vote is no.

But telliing those of us who want the functionality that we should "just skip the navigation" is unnecessarily confrontational.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
There's a difference between "wanting" the features and complaining about the size of the map display as being too small to use.

And pretty sure the full screen Android Auto is more of an Android issues not Stallantis or Uconnect

mac424

Reaction score
There's a difference between "wanting" the features and complaining about the size of the map display as being too small to use.

And pretty sure the full screen Android Auto is more of an Android issues not Stallantis or Uconnect
Pretty sure we "want" the features that are comparable to Apple Car Play.

Problem is that we really don't know who is really the right group to send that request to. The thread kind of drifted, but there are 2 main points.

• Full Screen Android auto
    • This is in development and pending release from Google/Android. We want to make sure this is something we'll get on the new UC5
  • Same features as apple car play
    • Full screen (AA Coolwalk is pending release)
    • Ability to show phone widget on the main screen. (Google Maps, on the home panel rather than the built in Nav)

I think all we really want is some answers on if this is being looked and why some of those features are missing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure we "want" the features that are comparable to Apple Car Play.

Problem is that we really don't know who is really the right group to send that request to. The thread kind of drifted, but there are 2 main points.

• Full Screen Android auto
    • This is in development and pending release from Google/Android. We want to make sure this is something we'll get on the new UC5
  • Same features as apple car play
    • Full screen (AA Coolwalk is pending release)
    • Ability to show phone widget on the main screen. (Google Maps, on the home panel rather than the built in Nav)

I think all we really want is some answers on if this is being looked and why some of those features are missing.
Until the Android update is released to allow full screen Android auto, complaining about Ram and Uconnect is wasted breath. They won't be able to do anything until the Android update is live.

mac424

Reaction score
Until the Android update is released to allow full screen Android auto, complaining about Ram and Uconnect is wasted breath. They won't be able to do anything until the Android update is live.
True but if we sit by without saying anything, nothing will most likely be done. Ram wants feedback good or bad, right?

To the other post I you were asking about, I was saying that I would like to see my android auto like I can see the built in nav in this picture. You can currently do this with apple car play. It should have been a feature for Android as well
PXL_20221012_130254842.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True but if we sit by without saying anything, nothing will most likely be done. Ram wants feedback good or bad, right?

To the other post I you were asking about, I was saying that I would like to see my android auto like I can see the built in nav in this picture. You can currently do this with apple car play. It should have been a feature for Android as well
View attachment 140832
Not sure how Uconnect 5 looks. On my 2020 with Uconnect 4, mine looks like that, except the Nav is the top half of display. And you can't move it

mac424

Reaction score
Not sure how Uconnect 5 looks. On my 2020 with Uconnect 4, mine looks like that, except the Nav is the top half of display. And you can't move it
Yes, as does mine when you have the phone connected and you're on the android auto screen.

What should be an option is to pull that Google Maps screen that is not movable to the Home page as a widget so that you can set it wherever you like. That is a current option with Apple Car play.

thekeithlane

Reaction score
Too small for what? You're arguing towards what someone should use or like vs what I want / thought I was sold.
I purchased a 12.1" display. I prefer a full screen usage of navigation and the stock uconnect navigation blows.
Don't tell me I can't prefer or desire to use a full screen display. I paid for a full screen and not the 8.4" one.
Heck, with that logic, why did you buy a new truck when an old one works.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too small for what? You're arguing towards what someone should use or like vs what I want / thought I was sold.
I purchased a 12.1" display. I prefer a full screen usage of navigation and the stock uconnect navigation blows.
Don't tell me I can't prefer or desire to use a full screen display. I paid for a full screen and not the 8.4" one.
Heck, with that logic, why did you buy a new truck when an old one works.
If you go back and actually read, I was replying about he comment complaining about the display being too small to be useful with only being in half the screen. I was merely pointing out that, even only using half the display, it's a larger nav screen then most other vehicles offer, or any third party option people use.

You can complain because you want th feature and it doesn't have it. But don't try and justify your complaining by saying it's too small to be useful

Users who are viewing this thread