5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

warvet

Reaction score
Is there an actual bulletin now?
Delmonico gave us the service bulletin before he found out he had to “dish” out for his fix. The SB just didn’t have a fix. I don’t know what my guy did for his fix. Originally Delmonico cut his screw short and that didn’t work. I’ll be at the dealership in about 30-40 minutes. I’m off today so may as well.

S1823000049 front cab body bolt too long and hitting floor pan

warvet

Reaction score
Here are the parts my service manager ordered to fix his based off of the SB saying the bolts were too long. So mine are ordered and pending no hurricane in NC, my apt is next Wednesday (possible shipping delay). He wrote the part numbers down and held it out for me to snap a pic. See attached. . Again —-he said he drove all weekend and no clunking. Maybe Delmonico will chime in on this.

Isolator-body hold 2ea
Absorber 2ea
Screw-hex flange head 2ea 56F69B3A-755D-4E11-84A3-0FACCAD0155E.jpeg

Last edited:

Kaiser723

Reaction score
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.
I have the same problem on my 2019 Laramie, not even 200 miles on it yet. Turning left while going over small bumps at low speed I can feel a clunking /popping sound under my left foot.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
I hope to get this issue fixed with my truck as well. 2019 1500 limited. It seems that it Isn't a safety issue at this point and will get resolved soon. I wonder how bad the corrosion would be on that area after say... 5 years? Can't say I would love that with an almost $70k truck.

Lalantodd

Reaction score
Just got my Laramie back from service appointment for the Clunk noise. They only replaced the bolts on the left. I still heard a clunk on the right side pulling in the driveway... ugh!

Attachments

• 208D5473-1D85-4C47-BD79-92141739C7C3.jpeg
    208D5473-1D85-4C47-BD79-92141739C7C3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 117

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my Laramie back from service appointment for the Clunk noise. They only replaced the bolts on the left. I still heard a clunk on the right side pulling in the driveway... ugh!
Why didn't they just replace both sides while they were under there?

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Just got my truck back tonight, for the 3rd time "couldn't replicate problem". The mechanic said he is going to call some ram engineers he knows and see if they know anything. I haven't been on here in a couple days, is there a service bulletin out for the clunk? Of so what does it say and what is the fix? Are we able to look up service bulletins ourselves or do we have to continue dealing with the dealer?

Lalantodd

Reaction score
Just got my truck back tonight, for the 3rd time "couldn't replicate problem". The mechanic said he is going to call some ram engineers he knows and see if they know anything. I haven't been on here in a couple days, is there a service bulletin out for the clunk? Of so what does it say and what is the fix? Are we able to look up service bulletins ourselves or do we have to continue dealing with the dealer?
See my pic above. There is not a SB but a star case number of S1823000049 will provide directions for the technician. They supposedly replaced a cab mount bolt.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If possible can anyone post a photo of the parts they say are required for the star case.

Just want to see what is involved because not sure I trust a dealer here to lift my cab. If the cab does not need to be lifted then that’s ok. I just am confused because the mention of dishing the body for clearance. I just am not clear on what it is that is hitting causing the noise. I’d love to get mine fixed though because as quiet as my truck it this is very noticinle and happens a lot .

warvet

Reaction score

I have “2 ea” ordered for each part. Left and right.

warvet

Reaction score
If possible can anyone post a photo of the parts they say are required for the star case.

Just want to see what is involved because not sure I trust a dealer here to lift my cab. If the cab does not need to be lifted then that’s ok. I just am confused because the mention of dishing the body for clearance. I just am not clear on what it is that is hitting causing the noise. I’d love to get mine fixed though because as quiet as my truck it this is very noticinle and happens a lot .
Post 342, I posted it. It’s just a few posts back. I’m shocked u didn’t see that post. Lalantodd seems to have ordered those parts for left side and just needs right side. Mine will be installed next week when the hurricane leaves. Left and right side will be replaced on mine.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
So the problem is the bolt forsure now? Delmonico said no, I pulled mine out and it had absolutely no marks on the tip of the bolt where it could be hitting something. I will video scope the hole with the bolt out tomorrow after work.

We are definitely getting closer to the problem.

Douglas31

Reaction score
My dealer said they found the issue and it was the body mount as well. I asked if they ordered parts for one side or both and the advisor wasn’t sure. I will know more tomorrow and I hope the issue is gone forever. Also, after bringing up the poor performing a/c for the second time he said they were charging it so I’m hopeful that problem is gone as well. Now if I can just get a resolution to the vibration at 70+ MPH I will be happy.

warvet

Reaction score
So the problem is the bolt forsure now? Delmonico said no, I pulled mine out and it had absolutely no marks on the tip of the bolt where it could be hitting something. I will video scope the hole with the bolt out tomorrow after work.

We are definitely getting closer to the problem.
Delmonico said yes. First he cut his bolt and it didn’t work. So he said no! Then he “dished” because his bolt was actually still hitting. Now his is fixed and he’s saying yes. Unless he came back afterwards and said no again. Look at the part numbers I posted , it’s more than just the bolts. Will those parts fix mine, I don’t know. Delmonico gave us the SB about the bolt being too long. I gave it to my dealership and then ...somehow it was attached to the new “kits” that I posted in #342 and it fixed my service manager. He then waited 2-3 days while driving his truck and then called me to order mine. The reason why i really like my dealer is because everyone else is saying their dealership is giving them the run around or saying “we didn’t hear it.” My service manager is emailing me at 630 am from his personal email.

I’ll know for sure next week. I called him again today and he said 5 days no clunk on his. BTW his was so bad, he drove a loaner. He hadn’t driven it in a long time. He’s all smiles now.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Post 342, I posted it. It’s just a few posts back. I’m shocked u didn’t see that post. Lalantodd seems to have ordered those parts for left side and just needs right side. Mine will be installed next week when the hurricane leaves. Left and right side will be replaced on mine.
Thanks. Saw the part number post was trying to see the physical parts so I could get a better image of what the solution is.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have my truck yet. It's on the train. Friom what I read, @Delmonico_19 says the bracket is contacting the chassis BETWEEN the two bracket bolts and creating the clunking. Slightly relieving that area was his fix. He stated that the chassis rubs the center of the bracket between the two bolts creating a "pop" as it sticks then releases. Shorter bolts alone may not be the total fix. No TSB has addressed this yet but he says it is possibly coming. At least that is my understanding from his post.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have my truck yet. It's on the train. Friom what I read, @Delmonico_19 says the bracket is contacting the chassis BETWEEN the two bracket bolts and creating the clunking. Slightly relieving that area was his fix. He stated that the chassis rubs the center of the bracket between the two bolts creating a "pop" as it sticks then releases. Shorter bolts alone may not be the total fix. No TSB has addressed this yet but he says it is possibly coming. At least that is my understanding from his post.
Thank you. I have spent a lot of time under my truck after this looking at it and looking at the post. Trying to make sense. I couldn't understand how a bolt alone will correct anything. If I see the parts they claim to fix I could see what they say the fix is. But mine is doing it so much and its just a frustrating situation. So I am glad we seem to be making progress thanks to @Delmonico_19 .

I will stay posted here as I have and wait for the final word. I also hope @Delmonico_19 can come and confirm he is still not hearing the noise.

warvet

Reaction score
Thank you. I have spent a lot of time under my truck after this looking at it and looking at the post. Trying to make sense. I couldn't understand how a bolt alone will correct anything. If I see the parts they claim to fix I could see what they say the fix is. But mine is doing it so much and its just a frustrating situation. So I am glad we seem to be making progress thanks to @Delmonico_19 .

I will stay posted here as I have and wait for the final word. I also hope @Delmonico_19 can come and confirm he is still not hearing the noise.

Just asking ....I know we all just want a fix to enjoy our trucks. But why not also contact your dealership with those part numbers in hand and have a talk with them too.....while we wait? Like attack it from different avenues. I ran with what @Delmonico gave us and it led my dealership to the newly released/modified kits. I guess for me ....I'm combining @Delmonico's success and that SB along with the success that's local to me. I have two Delmonico's :) One on the forum and one in real life.

hey are you in NC? I've seen a truck like yours on Fort Bragg, NC............very beautiful. The only limited Ive seen.

Users who are viewing this thread