5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealership. A couple of flat washers fixed the issue. No noticeable panel alignment issues after installing said “shims”.
I was wondering who would try that approach versus dishing the chassis between the bracket bolts to create clearance. Good to know!

OgRedd

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealership. A couple of flat washers fixed the issue. No noticeable panel alignment issues after installing said “shims”.
Any details on where the shims were placed and the process of placing the shims? Just wanting all the info I can relay to my dealership once I take my truck in Monday morning.

OgRedd

Reaction score
Leaving the dealership. Service advisor told me that my case is the first he’s heard of with this type of issue. He was very professional and took the time to ride with me to hear the “clunk”. Of course, I couldn’t replicate it. He advised me to wait until it becomes more pronounced before I bring it back in. I actually left in good spirits knowing that my new truck wasn’t going to get banged on. My hope is that there’s a TSB in the making and soon. I contacted RamCares and got a case number for future reference.

OgRedd

Reaction score
Yes they see them. I’m a dealer tech that’s how I see them haha
I took your Star publication number to the dealership and he thought the fix was too extreme and too early in the game to do anything. I assume he wants an actual TSB before doing any work.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took your Star publication number to the dealership and he thought the fix was too extreme and too early in the game to do anything. I assume he wants an actual TSB before doing any work.
I was just going to add that most shops are hesitant to act on a Star Pub and want the TSB. I had a Star pub for my 16' air ride problems and they laughed me out of the shop and said return when we have the TSB. BUT, I'm sure if you have an awesome dealership, they may humor the idea.

OgRedd

Reaction score
I was just going to add that most shops are hesitant to act on a Star Pub and want the TSB. I had a Star pub for my 16' air ride problems and they laughed me out of the shop and said return when we have the TSB. BUT, I'm sure if you have an awesome dealership, they may humor the idea.
Right. Just going to sit idle until the TSB is posted. I rather have them follow concrete instructions than to have them guessing and make a problem a bigger problem.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
horrible dealer. Its a brand new truck. 1 Clunk is 1 to many

OgRedd

Reaction score
While I agree with the second part, most dealers SHOULD be very hesitant to perform surgery on a truck based on a Starpub, unless you are actually on the dealer side I understand how this could be hard to understand, but until its a TSB, caution on the dealer side is HIGHLY recommended.
Agreed. I’m willing to wait. My “clunk” isn’t as extreme as I’ve read with others. The takeaway I got from the dealer was basically ‘we haven’t heard about this and have no idea about fixing this issue’. Again, I’ll wait for instructions from Ram. I’m sure they have been notified.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Coming from a dealership side of things FCA would not post a publication without knowing it has fixed a significant amount of vehicles. If your dealer isn’t willing to chase a concern with a publication then frankly you have a ****ty dealer. If the concern in front of me duplicates a publication I’m running with it. Also everyone needs to understand they aren’t beating the floor pan in. This is less than a 1/16th of an inch in massaging the body channel. This is also not the floor pan again this is the body channel. Your truck takes a harder beating driving down the road than what i had to do on my truck to fix it. Also publications are not just a shot in the dark. They come with a detailed repair and pictures.

OgRedd

Reaction score
Coming from a dealership side of things FCA would not post a publication without knowing it has fixed a significant amount of vehicles. If your dealer isn’t willing to chase a concern with a publication then frankly you have a ****ty dealer. If the concern in front of me duplicates a publication I’m running with it. Also everyone needs to understand they aren’t beating the floor pan in. This is less than a 1/16th of an inch in massaging the body channel. This is also not the floor pan again this is the body channel. Your truck takes a harder beating driving down the road than what i had to do on my truck to fix it. Also publications are not just a shot in the dark. They come with a detailed repair and pictures.
Respectfully, It’s my guess that it depends on the dealership. One may go forward with a Star publication and others may choose not to. Difficult spot to place the truck owner that’s not on the dealer side. There was also a post about dealer installed shims (?). Seems to me that dealers aren’t doing the same fixes throughout. “Chasing a concern” - I think that why they hesitate. It was my take that they didn’t want this to snowball. @Delmonico_19, you have a much better understanding of how this works. If you were near, I’d have my truck to your dealer in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Respectfully, It’s my guess that it depends on the dealership. One may go forward with a Star publication and others may choose not to. Difficult spot to place the truck owner that’s not on the dealer side. There was also a post about dealer installed shims (?). Seems to me that dealers aren’t doing the same fixes throughout. “Chasing a concern” - I think that why they hesitate. It was my take that they didn’t want this to snowball. @Delmonico_19, you have a much better understanding of how this works. If you were near, I’d have my truck to your dealer in a heartbeat.
All vehicles are case by case in my book. And there is no word from FCA that shims is an approved repair. The repair I performed on my truck is what is considered their approved repair.

OgRedd

Reaction score
All vehicles are case by case in my book. And there is no word from FCA that shims is an approved repair. The repair I performed on my truck is what is considered their approved repair.
Thanks for the info. I’ll press them a bit more to see if I can get them to start turning some wheels.

warvet

Reaction score
Delmonico, what about my post -#342? My truck goes in on Wednesday. To date, my service manager still has no clunk after these parts and his was so bad, he drove a loaner

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Delmonico, what about my post -#342? My truck goes in on Wednesday. To date, my service manager still has no clunk after these parts and his was so bad, he drove a loaner
If they replace the isolator might as well do the publication at the same time in my opinion. They will have access anyways.

warvet

Reaction score
If they replace the isolator might as well do the publication at the same time in my opinion. They will have access anyways.
Gotcha. I’ll see. He only did the parts and his is gone. I’m sure we’ll all be fixed soon

Users who are viewing this thread