5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
It’s gonna have to be corrected with the stamping of the body panels. I thinks it’s well known to the big wigs in FCA. But they are likely looking for a “proper” repair and release of a bulletin. Be patient guys I’m doing all I can from my end to make sure this is well known to FCA. I’ll repost tonight after I drive some more to verify my noise is gone. Fingers crossed!

immersivenc

Reaction score
Thanks, it makes me wonder how this would be fixed on the production line seeing that that is a pretty odd fix especially being as needed to the two pieces making contact you know.

In my research to try to get to the bottom of this, I stumbled upon a TSB from '15 for the 2500's that were having this exact issue. The cab mount isolator bushings ended up being redesigned and I suspect this may be what happens if this is verified as the problem.

GJohn2

Reaction score
It’s gonna have to be corrected with the stamping of the body panels. I thinks it’s well known to the big wigs in FCA. But they are likely looking for a “proper” repair and release of a bulletin. Be patient guys I’m doing all I can from my end to make sure this is well known to FCA. I’ll repost tonight after I drive some more to verify my noise is gone. Fingers crossed!
I really appreciate it!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alright everyone, after a long tedious 2 day process I believe my noise is gone. After talking with the stars and support team they sent me an image. It’s under the black bracket under the a-pillar body mount (one right below the front doors). Had to remove all the cab bolts lift the cab up and remove that black bracket and the mount. The attached picture is the witness marks of the body to the black bracket making contact. The “fix” is to “dish or dent” the body up some so it doesn’t make contact with the bracket. After getting it all back together and a couple test drives I didn’t hear the noise once. Where before I would hear it basically pulling out of the shop all through the lot.
Nice work! Is it possible for anyone with “clunks” to visually inspect this impact area, or can SDs get a little inspection camera in there somehow without disassembly? That area sure looks like it’s been taking a repeated beating!

I can’t get oriented... Can you please show in a photo what direction you would have to look from outside the truck to see this area? Maybe more folks can confirm they have the same thing happening.

Wonder if denting the frame would fix this problem but cause a structural concern?

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Nice work! Is it possible for anyone with “clunks” to visually inspect this impact area, or can SDs get a little inspection camera in there somehow without disassembly? That area sure looks like it’s been taking a repeated beating!

I can’t get oriented... Can you please show in a photo what direction you would have to look from outside the truck to see this area? Maybe more folks can confirm they have the same thing happening.

Wonder if denting the frame would fix this problem but cause a structural concern?
there is absolutely no way you will see this without removing the mount and bracket. This is between the bracket and body not frame and body. When you look under there you will see the bracket is bolted between the body mount and the body itself. Until that bracket is removed you will never see it.

Douglas31

Reaction score
If this is the root cause, being what it is, I am curious as to the reason why some of us have it and some don’t. Denting the body doesn’t sit well with me either.

warvet

Reaction score
Thanks, it makes me wonder how this would be fixed on the production line seeing that that is a pretty odd fix especially being as needed to the two pieces making contact you know.

Makes me wonder how service dpts gonna fix “us” lol. Lifting cabs from frames and beating it with a hammer. :). I guess I’m just tired —end of work. I’m picturing them hanging my cab in the air by a crane and beating it. Lol

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
If this is the root cause, being what it is, I am curious as to the reason why some of us have it and some don’t. Denting the body doesn’t sit well with me either.
I think it’s in the stamping of the bracket and body that some get stamped just slightly differently. Like stated before I don’t believe it’s other trucks aren’t doing it. I think it’s the severity of the noise and some people simply not hearing it. Its not denting it as much as flattening it back straight.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Makes me wonder how service dpts gonna fix “us” lol. Lifting cabs from frames and beating it with a hammer. :). I guess I’m just tired —end of work. I’m picturing them hanging my cab in the air by a crane and beating it. Lol
lol it’s more so removing the bolts and just lifting up one side to get mount out. The cab does not get completely removed.

Douglas31

Reaction score
I think it’s in the stamping of the bracket and body that some get stamped just slightly differently. Like stated before I don’t believe it’s other trucks aren’t doing it. I think it’s the severity of the noise and some people simply not hearing it. Its not denting it as much as flattening it back straight.
Thanks for sharing! I hope this helps us all get a final resolution.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a problem. I bleed mopar and want you all to enjoy your trucks. More FCA products on the road the better it is for me
Holy cow if this really is the root cause of the clunk problem @Delmonico_19 you deserve a new badass trophy made just for problem solvers like you. We’ll call it the “Sherlock Holmes”! Here’s hoping this gets Ram on the road to a fix... youdaman.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Alright after a 18 miles drive home I’m about 99.99% confident my noise is gone. I normally heard it 15-20 times on a normal drive home. Didn’t hear it once. I almost forgot how quiet these cabs are!

Users who are viewing this thread