5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just asking ....I know we all just want a fix to enjoy our trucks. But why not also contact your dealership with those part numbers in hand and have a talk with them too.....while we wait? Like attack it from different avenues. I ran with what @Delmonico gave us and it led my dealership to the newly released/modified kits. I guess for me ....I'm combining @Delmonico's success and that SB along with the success that's local to me. I have two Delmonico's :) One on the forum and one in real life.

hey are you in NC? I've seen a truck like yours on Fort Bragg, NC............very beautiful. The only limited Ive seen.

I would if I had a good dealer. If you have a good dealership then yes. I just do not. Im not going to start lemon law process. I just want a one time fix and out. The dealers are something you have to establish some kind of relationship with. I don't have that. There dealer I bought the truck from was only because they had the truck I wanted when I wanted it. My 13 I bought years ago and that whole dealer team is gone since then. Plus I didn't have any issues so there was no real relationship building with that truck because there was no need. Just change the oil and drive it. In Dallas there are a lot of dealers but just makes it even more difficult to know where to go and if you do not know anyone its a guessing game.

Im in Dallas Tx.. I have only seen a few of our trucks of any kind around. Its nice when I see them.

warvet

Reaction score
TSBs do not come out that quickly. They will do pretty exhaustive testing before they release a TSB saying that it fixes a problem. The worst that can happen is for them to release a TSB saying it will fix a problem and then getting tons of backlash when it doesn't.

Everyone with issues... I know it sucks, I know its annoying as hell, I know you are angry... I promise you that Chrysler engineers know about them though and are working on fixes, but these things do not happen over night. Does that make you feel better? Probably not, but from experience, people only get more pissed off when we say we've fixed a problem only for it to still not be fixed... so they will take their time and do it right. Patience is a virtue, one that I lack personally... but if you can wait it out, they WILL fix it. all of it.

Well said!! Funny thing is I haven't lost one minute of sleep over this. I guess riding Harleys has me numb to manufacturer issues and TSBs. It's all good! Until proven that these 3 parts don't work for my truck, I'm just a optimistic person and believe I'll be fixed next week just like my service manager's truck was fixed with those parts.

I rode to Charlotte, NC this past weekend. I put about 500 miles on the truck and I realized I hadn't heard or felt the clunk. The reason was because I had the music up a tad bit, chatting with my wife, picked my daughter up from college and we just rode around laughing and having a good time. I turned the music down late in the evening to focus on if the clunk was there -----and it happened like twice. Still very low and not often.......but it was there. My running joke is .....just turn the music up and move my left foot :)

I don't want to minimize the issue because some may have it a lot worse than me. But my optimism saves my blood pressure

warvet

Reaction score
I would if I had a good dealer. If you have a good dealership then yes. I just do not. Im not going to start lemon law process. I just want a one time fix and out. The dealers are something you have to establish some kind of relationship with. I don't have that. There dealer I bought the truck from was only because they had the truck I wanted when I wanted it. My 13 I bought years ago and that whole dealer team is gone since then. Plus I didn't have any issues so there was no real relationship building with that truck because there was no need. Just change the oil and drive it. In Dallas there are a lot of dealers but just makes it even more difficult to know where to go and if you do not know anyone its a guessing game.

Im in Dallas Tx.. I have only seen a few of our trucks of any kind around. Its nice when I see them.

Ahhhhhh, I fully understand now!!! I get it. Yeah this is my first Ram, first time visiting this dealership. I looked up their reviews and they were absolutely horrible but I took a chance with ordering from them and servicing with them. I found out all of the management changed because of that horrible reputation. So, I can actually see how far they go to be nice and their willingness to try everything. New ownership is trying to fix the past reputation.

I'm also no fool...........I'm having luck with them and they are willing to try anything I ask them because the Service Manager has the same issue. So, he has a vested interest.

Good luck with your truck man............I think we'll all be fine.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, I fully understand now!!! I get it. Yeah this is my first Ram, first time visiting this dealership. I looked up their reviews and they were absolutely horrible but I took a chance with ordering from them and servicing with them. I found out all of the management changed because of that horrible reputation. So, I can actually see how far they go to be nice and their willingness to try everything. New ownership is trying to fix the past reputation.

I'm also no fool...........I'm having luck with them and they are willing to try anything I ask them because the Service Manager has the same issue. So, he has a vested interest.

Good luck with your truck man............I think we'll all be fine.
Yeah.. I was pretty upset but I LOVE the truck.. Nicest out by a million miles. Just want it fixed. thats all. Once it is Ill be a VERY happy person.

Douglas31

Reaction score
My truck was supposed to be fixed today but I got a call saying the wrong parts were ordered and they have ordered the correct parts now. The only problem now is that they are on backorder so I am not sure when they will arrive. They also said it is only for the passenger side so I hope they are right and I don’t have to wait for a second set of parts if it persists on the drivers side. They took care of a couple other things for me so even though I am still waiting for it to be fixed I feel better that we are heading in the right direction and they will make it right. This is not the dealership I bought it from so I had some initial worries of them working with me but they are now. Now if the dealership I purchased it from could just get my plates that would be nice. My paper plates expire this weekend and they just yesterday got the needed info to the dmv and said they cannot give me another paper tag. Bad thing is they are also in Wilmington, NC so who knows when I will have tags with this hurricane. I told them this wasn’t acceptable and being in the military I can’t get on base with expired tags and they said if I get pulled over just explain the situation and “Good Luck”. Sorry for the long post.

warvet

Reaction score
My truck was supposed to be fixed today but I got a call saying the wrong parts were ordered and they have ordered the correct parts now. The only problem now is that they are on backorder so I am not sure when they will arrive. They also said it is only for the passenger side so I hope they are right and I don’t have to wait for a second set of parts if it persists on the drivers side. They took care of a couple other things for me so even though I am still waiting for it to be fixed I feel better that we are heading in the right direction and they will make it right. This is not the dealership I bought it from so I had some initial worries of them working with me but they are now. Now if the dealership I purchased it from could just get my plates that would be nice. My paper plates expire this weekend and they just yesterday got the needed info to the dmv and said they cannot give me another paper tag. Bad thing is they are also in Wilmington, NC so who knows when I will have tags with this hurricane. I told them this wasn’t acceptable and being in the military I can’t get on base with expired tags and they said if I get pulled over just explain the situation and “Good Luck”. Sorry for the long post.
My service manager’s exact words were let’s otder right now because they will be on back order real soon. This was Monday. I guess because he changed both his fronts is why he also ordered me a “set”

Stay safe man. We are getting ready here in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My service manager’s exact words were let’s otder right now because they will be on back order real soon. This was Monday. I guess because he changed both his fronts is why he also ordered me a “set”

Stay safe man. We are getting ready here in Fayetteville/Fort Bragg.

Stay safe and let us know how it goes.

TimG

Reaction score

Sounds like Neuwirth Dodge in Wilmington. They are the absolute worst! I bought a jeep from them a few years ago and they had the absolute worst customer service and technical competence I've ever encountered. Made sure to tell all my Marines to steer clear of there.
Anyways, best of luck with the storm! I don't miss that part of living on the coast. Semper Fi!

Douglas31

Reaction score
Sounds like Neuwirth Dodge in Wilmington. They are the absolute worst! I bought a jeep from them a few years ago and they had the absolute worst customer service and technical competence I've ever encountered. Made sure to tell all my Marines to steer clear of there.
Anyways, best of luck with the storm! I don't miss that part of living on the coast. Semper Fi!
Yep, it is. I was in the process of a ordering from my local dealer when they had one pop up with exactly what I wanted. The sales process was smooth but everything since driving away has not been.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
I still do not have the noise. And I have been trying to get it to pop. So you guys know what I posted about the bolts was not a bulletin. It was a star publication. Difference is bulletins come with a detailed fix and lops and proven repair. A star publication is something that has been seen as a fix on a vehicle through star center. I have not checked today but I still have not seen anything come across about the dishing of the body channel as a publication or bulletin.

Mksrt

Reaction score
I still do not have the noise. And I have been trying to get it to pop. So you guys know what I posted about the bolts was not a bulletin. It was a star publication. Difference is bulletins come with a detailed fix and lops and proven repair. A star publication is something that has been seen as a fix on a vehicle through star center. I have not checked today but I still have not seen anything come across about the dishing of the body channel as a publication or bulletin.

Tons of great info here thanks all for posting it .I aswell have contacted ram support and have a case number with the clunking issues. However I am not the type to get run around by my dealer so if I can just do this myself seems simple So let me get this straight the star bulletin states the shorter bolts for a fix,but your fix was notching up the contact point on the cab?

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I really need to make an appointment with my dealer to get my truck in for this. Only 2 complaints I have with it are th clunk, and the lackluster ac performance. And I’d really like th clunk gone asap so I can put a leveling kit on it lol

OgRedd

Reaction score
Hi, guys! Newbie here. Found this forum once I started my research on the front end "clunk" on my new Limited. It's exactly as most of you claim. Hear it and feel it mostly under my left foot during turns. Not often, but it's there. I really love the truck, but this one thing is starting to be of concern. I'm approaching 2500 miles @ 2 months so far and thought I'd bring this up to the dealer at my first oil change. I appreciate all the info and I will continue to follow along and give any info that I come up with to help solve this issue. BTW - thanks to @Delmonico_19 for your input. At least, I'm glad to know it's not going to be scary steering surgery. Build date - 06.16.18.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ok.. great news. So to clarify.. you needed no new parts you just needed to clearance the drivers side under that bracket?

OgRedd

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm heading back to the service dept. in the morning for my rear main seal oil leak. I wanted to do a last minute attempt to capture my now elusive clunk on video to show the service manager, because I'm tired of them saying they could not duplicate it. Below is a link to the unlisted video I have of it. I apologize for the bad video quality, but it's the audio you need to pay attention to. The clunk actually occurs several times during this video, but there is a especially pronounced clunk right at the end of the video. I think the audio actually picked it up rather well.

Yep. That's it.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Mine has just started. I noticed it this morning. I am not a dealer kind of guy is there anything a decent wrencher can do to remedy this problem. second if unattended will it progessively get worse?? Thanks

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
This is something I suggest you just take to your dealer. Especially once more bulletins are out about this noise. Essentially you need to remove all 8 cab bolts and lift the cab up enough to get the body isolator out. Then remove the reinforcement bracket. And inspect the body where the bracket was bolted against. Then make repairs as needed.

Reaction score
This is something I suggest you just take to your dealer. Especially once more bulletins are out about this noise. Essentially you need to remove all 8 cab bolts and lift the cab up enough to get the body isolator out. Then remove the reinforcement bracket. And inspect the body where the bracket was bolted against. Then make repairs as needed.
Big Thanks Delmonico_19 for finding the problem! I just joined the forum after searching for why my new 2019 Limited 4X4 5.7 etorque is making a clunk sound mostly when turning left! It does not do it all the time but most of the time when the surface is not level or a elongated curve where the weight of the truck shifts a little. I bought it last month and shortly thereafter it started doing it. Sometimes I could feel something vibrate in the floorboard when it did it. I took it in and dealer tech could hear it but could not figure out what it was. He told me it will either get better or get worse. After about 1,600 miles, it has gotten worse. I love the truck except for the clunk! I will wait a bit till you advise of a TSB# with the fix so dealer can get it taken care of.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Thanks Delmonico_19, sounds like more than I can handle in my driveway, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread