5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

warvet

Reaction score
This is a small sample size and we all seem to be affected. To be honest, that tells me there are soooooooo many more affected who are complaining —those who don’t visit forums. So this gives me optimism that FCA is aware by now and working a fix. Yes, I’m optimistic. For now, I’m clunking once or twice a day lightly and I’m going to enjoy the other 99% of this truck.

Dayhawk

Reaction score
Hi gang, new here so this is my 1st post.
Owned ram trucks for long as I can remember and I'm excited that my limited will be ready next week! I am coming out of 12' Laramie which I completely am happy with. But now I'm getting a bit nervous after sifting forums, especially this one. The nav bugs I can deal with, that's just update fixes usually, but mechanical scares me mainly for 1 reason...I am not knowledgeable in automotive things so solving problems for me is...tough, I rely on dealership.
Is there perhaps a graph somewhere showing # of problems to # vehicles on road?may help pin down if its random or a issue with the build?

On a side note, I'm in michigan so my truck coming from a plant in city called sterling heights, which ijust read is behind due to electrical problems with 2,500 trucks...

ponypride

Reaction score
Owned ram trucks for long as I can remember and I'm excited that my limited will be ready next week! I am coming out of 12' Laramie which I completely am happy with. But now I'm getting a bit nervous after sifting forums, especially this one. The nav bugs I can deal with, that's just update fixes usually, but mechanical scares me mainly for 1 reason...I am not knowledgeable in automotive things so solving problems for me is...tough, I rely on dealership.
Is there perhaps a graph somewhere showing # of problems to # vehicles on road?may help pin down if its random or a issue with the build?

On a side note, I'm in michigan so my truck coming from a plant in city called sterling heights, which ijust read is behind due to electrical problems with 2,500 trucks...
Wow! How do they come across an electrical problem with 2,500 new builds? I assume they put a factory hold on those and hopefully owners of units that left the factory would be notified. Not sure of the process but there are very knowledgeable people on this page that can shed some light. Are all RAMs built at the same factory?

Polaris Man

Reaction score

Not everyone seems to have the clunk, so far we know it isn't limited to Air suspension or non suspension, it affects both. I'm not sure if there has been enough info gathered by anyone on the group here to try and determine build dates. There have been alot of theories and a few members dealers that are actually taking the situation seriously (mine is not one of those dealer - truck has been in twice)

Hopefully your new truck doesn't have the clunk, it doesn't affect anything in the short term other than it is super annoying on a brand new truck.

Dayhawk

Reaction score
I am under the assumption that mine is done, just delayed shipping due to holiday, so I was told, since I was suppose to receive Friday. So I am hoping that being a later build alot of problems might be gone( its loaded except sunroof and tow mirrors)

The plant problems I read in news just this morning, something about electrical problems with trucks and behind remodel of building. I do have Hope's up, always been happy with my Ram trucks.

I will surely update everyone on anything, or hopefully nothing :) and perhaps a screenshot of this beast!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

The article about them having electrical problems with 2,500 trucks is months and months old. Those trucks were held, fixed and then shipped. Sterling heights assembly is where all 2019 Ram 1500s are built.

No way really to tell how many are having issues with the clunk compared to how many trucks are on the road as sales numbers aren't broken down by 2019 trucks vs 2018s that are still being sold, the sales numbers also include 2500 and 3500s as well. Whatever the clunk is, I'm sure is annoying and would tend to agree with others that it is most likely sway bar related due to the way it presents itself. It's a pretty safe bet that FCA is working to figure out a resolution. When thats done a TSB will be released which will notify all dealers of the cause of the issue and how to resolve it.

Dayhawk

Reaction score
Oh right on, yea I'm confident I'll be happy and wont worry till I need to. And was unaware they were all made here. Neat.

O

Old member 1160

Took my 2019 Ram Laramie 4x4 into the dealer for the same clunk issue everyone is describing. The clunk does not occur every time, and, not surprisingly, the dealer stated they couldn't replicate it on two test drives. I didn't have time to leave it at the dealer for an extended period due to work travel coming up, but plan to take it back. I believe, similar to Delmonico's post my issues happen more prominently during periods of articulation. Thus, I think he is potentially onto something with the sway bars. When I am able to take it back in, I am going to drive with the tech and force articulation (into and off drive ramps, etc.). I will also keep an eye on Delmonico's updates regarding the sway bar. Outside of this I really love the 2019 Ram and remain confident Ram will get this corrected if we keep pushing.

Grinnin

Reaction score
I also have the clunk, heard the same way as others have said - mostly when turning at low speed when the suspension travels. I have a Laramie 4x4, started hearing it at 100 miles. June ‘18 build which seems to be pretty common. Brought it in to the dealer - they heard it but couldn’t find anything loose. Although they did try to blame my aftermarket side steps. :rolleyes:

I had a similar experience with a ‘11 Dodge Charger which had a problem where the sensors for the “touch under the door handle to unlock” feature were failing due to a design defect. This was the first year for that feature. Dodge found the problem after a few months and replaced the handles.

I expect this will be the case here, as it seems to be with the squeaking brakes (I also have this problem) that looks like it’s fixed with a different brake pad design.

I love the truck, so I’m willing to wait for these fixes to be identified and rolled out.

marcd118

Reaction score
I have a March build and dont have the clunk. I wonder if its in the later builds?

slivoman

Reaction score
I'm a June build with no clunk, but I only have 700 miles. I'm watching for it for sure.

drsmitty74

Reaction score
I
I have a March build and dont have the clunk. I wonder if its in the later builds?
Have a March Build, 100 miles on my new limited and heard first two chunks today. Pretty disappointing since I traded my 16 Sierra for drive train issues as well. Hope there is a fix soon

Kidder

Reaction score
Count me in as one with the clunk. I'll have to check the build date later.

anthtony

Reaction score
I am waiting on an ordered Limited but am curious what I should be listening for with regards to the "Clunk". Sounds like it happens while moving, during a turn? Can you feel it AND hear it, or just one or the other? Does anyone have a video of it? TIA

immersivenc

Reaction score
I am waiting on an ordered Limited but am curious what I should be listening for with regards to the "Clunk". Sounds like it happens while moving, during a turn? Can you feel it AND hear it, or just one or the other? Does anyone have a video of it? TIA

Turn radio and blower fan off, do low speed full-lock turns on uneven pavement. When the front suspension articulates in the curve, “clunk!” You’ll hear it and feel it in the floor pan. Then turn around and run. They have no clue how to fix this yet. Before the dealer tightened my suspension and replaced the rack and pinion, it would do it when rocking the truck side to side moving forward also.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm heading back to the service dept. in the morning for my rear main seal oil leak. I wanted to do a last minute attempt to capture my now elusive clunk on video to show the service manager, because I'm tired of them saying they could not duplicate it. Below is a link to the unlisted video I have of it. I apologize for the bad video quality, but it's the audio you need to pay attention to. The clunk actually occurs several times during this video, but there is a especially pronounced clunk right at the end of the video. I think the audio actually picked it up rather well.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Well guys the sway bar and link did not fix this on my truck. I’m gonna try getting this escalated directly to engineering and see what they can tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread