5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

anthtony

Reaction score
Sounds like a promising fix, makes sense that it’s getting worse as the body mount bushings settle
Odd that it's not impacting every truck given the bolt and bushing must be the same.....Perhaps many folks simply aren't hearing it?

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
It’s gonna be the bolt right behind the front tires. They claim it’s only the drivers side I took both out and cut the bolts a touch shorter. I will update after a test drive here soon.

Attachments

• FB08486B-0860-478D-9064-385FB5468CFA.jpeg
    FB08486B-0860-478D-9064-385FB5468CFA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 188

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this as well on the driver's side but only seems to happen on right turns when I hit the driveway to my workplace. Makes me not want to go to work lol.

I don't hear it driving on the roads and hitting pot holes.

Joker4L

Reaction score
It’s gonna be the bolt right behind the front tires. They claim it’s only the drivers side I took both out and cut the bolts a touch shorter. I will update after a test drive here soon.

Man that picture doesn't help me at all lol.. I was about to go outside and check it out too

warvet

Reaction score
Is there a copy of that SB? How can the too long boot cause this clunk?

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
I can’t release the case to public sorry. But it’s supposedly hitting the floor pan because it’s longer.

warvet

Reaction score
I can’t release the case to public sorry. But it’s supposedly hitting the floor pan because it’s longer.
No worries. I just called my advisor and he said he had to have “the guys” look it up and he’d call back. We’ll see.

And that bolt is the one I thought was lose when they tightened them all cuz its right under the foot.

Last edited:

Joker4L

Reaction score
So I just took my cable camera into the frame and there doesn’t appear to be contact with the bolt and the frame :/

Attachments

• 3AACB7C1-FD65-4FEC-901C-81E864886AA4.jpeg
    3AACB7C1-FD65-4FEC-901C-81E864886AA4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176

warvet

Reaction score
So I just took my cable camera into the frame and there doesn’t appear to be contact with the bolt and the frame :/
The pan? He mentioned it hit the pan. And of course, you have better equipment than me to check :)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That bolt definitely looks longer than it needs to be though. If I'm picturing everything correctly, it does seem that if the body mount compressed, that would allow the end of the bolt to hit the body but you're pic doesn't appear to show any deformation at the top.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had taken a few days off from the forum. My attitude had been getting bad so I took a break. I came today and see the body mount bolt discussion.

I hope a solution is found soon. I have to appreciate the effort from everyone looking into it. I hope FCA is working hard on it as well.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
My truck is going back in next Monday for the clunk (3rd time) and the rest of the laundry list. I too have settled down slightly. The cab mount bolt could have been plausible as that right amlmkst exact where the sound comes from and the fact you can feel it in your left foot. I said from the beginning I thought it may have been a floor pan that wasn't spot welded properly, how would we ever find that without someone tearing the carpet out. Hopefully it's found soon.

Mine isn't as bad as the video posted but it isn't far behind, mine has started doing it during normal high speed turns with no bumps, going straight and htting bumps, articulated with bumps etc. It will be a very bad day for someone next Monday if they tell me they can't replicate it.

Users who are viewing this thread