5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

kliffy77

Reaction score
People post we ask a question what’s the build date and people never answer.

What is your build date. The TSB is on here

If you are rock My the truck back and forth and can duplicate it I bet you have the same problem I had. I had the clunk and I had sway bar end links that were bad causing a more replicated sound. The end links were causing a noise that would happen all the time while driving or turning or going over bumps.

Then there is the clunk. This is while turning into an incline either up or down. You could also replicate it while turning quickly either direction and making the body rock.

The new isolators are hydraulic and not solid rubber. So they must have an issue with the way the hydraulics work. They claim that after 10 build date they are ok but you can verify this by going under the truck and seeing if the part number on the isolators have a part number that ends in AB or later.

The tsb is for the clunk and if you have it take it in and tell them it’s a no diag needed or replication needed for trucks within the dates of the tsb. If you have a dealer that disagrees then find a new dealer

I didn’t reply cause my truck is in the Garage for repair I can’t go to the garage just to read the build date and post it! Ill answer when i get back my truck.

Ls15

Reaction score
There’s 41 pages soo , I feel a clunking noise when I’m slowing down sometimes and the truck tilts forward . Doesn’t happen when I’m turning . Is this the same issue you guys had? Mine feels like it’s coming from the front passenger side

Autoplay

Reaction score
My parts came in yesterday to the dealer here in town. Have a Monday morning appt set up to swap out parts etc.

Looking forward to having this rectified. I’ll let you all know how it goes Monday.

Newguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. The dealership can't replicate this issue referenced on this thread and won't perform the work, and I already have a FCA case open (for this and other items) and FCA told me basically deal with it or take it to another dealer if they won't perform the TSB work. Any tips? Thanks!

Jkstop

Reaction score
Truck in shop now. Driver side swaybar end link is being blamed. Part ordered and being installed today or monday. Will update.

Autoplay

Reaction score
So far so good,was in shop a little over two hours. I'll keep you all posted if I hear any noise in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0453[1].JPG
    IMG_0453[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 114

billyraff

Reaction score
I get a small clunk that i feel through the pedal about 1-2 seconds after i brake to a full stop.. any thoughts?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The clunk was getting worse for me. The truck is at the dealership getting the pano sunroof sunshade and motor replaced. Was getting the clunk at bumps in the road and going over speed bumps on the way to the dealership. Turning wasn't involved at all.

Service rep said that replacing the bushings wasn't getting rid of the clunk for some trucks. I told him that someone is going to fix it. It's a new truck and it's not supposed to do that.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The clunk was getting worse for me. The truck is at the dealership getting the pano sunroof sunshade and motor replaced. Was getting the clunk at bumps in the road and going over speed bumps on the way to the dealership. Turning wasn't involved at all.

Service rep said that replacing the bushings wasn't getting rid of the clunk for some trucks. I told him that someone is going to fix it. It's a new truck and it's not supposed to do that.
Most likely the sway bar end links like mine

Venzen

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel, Rebel 12, no Etorque or air suspension. Build date - December 18th (60k+msrp - should not be having any issues)

I've read all 41 pages, so I'm just adding mine here with the concern that my build date is AFTER the dates listed in the TSB, and I'm hoping I don't catch any crap for that, because my problem sounds like what others are experiencing.

Purchased January 10th. January 22nd, I started noticing a single "knock", like a rock was hitting the underneath of the cab. This noise seemed to occur when making a left turn from uneven roads, like going down a hill on one road and turning onto a level road, or vice-versa. It doesn't make it every time, but I couldn't drive to work without hearing it at least a few times. Now I've heard the knock even when making a right turn. Then, today, I drove about 300 miles, and it would make the noise just traveling straight down the road when I went over very mild rough asphalt, and instead of a single knock, they might come in a short group of quick knocks. I think I can feel them sometimes through the floorboard, but never through the steering. I've even heard it when putting on the brakes, slowing in a straight line, like the cab rocking forward is triggering it.

I'm happy to provide my VIN number to RAM care, and if anyone to whom my description sounds familiar would like to reiterate what worked for them, please do so. Thanks.

Rianwhite

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the popping sound when truck is not moving and you turn the wheel back and forth? Just purchased my ram and hear that noise coming from steering when idle

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Picked up the truck late yesterday. The clunk wasn't fixed...and they know it. The replaced a bunch of bushings, isolators, and bolts. They're going to be researching further, checking on star cases, ordering in some new parts, and taking another stab at it.

I'm really losing confidence with the brand. They've been building these trucks for how long? I really didn't want this purchase to be an exercise in proving to myself that my previous aversions from Chrysler/Dodge were accurate.

Benny1

Reaction score
My limited is going in for clunk repair Monday! New rack n pinion! Dealer didn’t hear clunk but mentioned theirs a tbs on it so they just orderd!

Rebel03

Reaction score
Well it took me to evening, but I made it through all 41 pages! There's some really good knowledge hear. I thank all for the trial and error and also logging the data.

I've had my Rebel now for 3 weeks. Started noticing clunks on both left and right side. We got pounded with snow here in West Michigan and the roads are packed and rutted with snow. Makes for a rough ride, but that's how I really started hearing clunks. At first I thought maybe I was making out the front suspension (air ride). But even in aero mode, I'm still getting clunks and not driving crazy aggressive. Clunk is definitely loud when it happens. It does seem like it closer to my feet but it does come from both sides (depends on what side tire drops do to rough road). Sway bar links would make great sense to be a culprit and body mounts are certainly possibly.

I'll be going in next week to get this checked out. I'll follow up with my experience at the dealer. Thanks again to all who have put in the work here over the past few months! @19RamLimited @I Love Grits & everyone else in the past 800+ posts!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had some pretty severe clunking around the left drivers side footwell today in the 0° temps (hasn't happened before with it being this cold....) Truck goes in next friday for a list of things (minor mostly). After the temps came back "up" today, around 25°, the clunk wasn't any worse than usual.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Mine started to clunk on the pass side going over speed bumps. Took it in and referenced the earlier post about the sway bar ends. They said it didn't make any noise, that everything was tight and it was probably the running boards. I told them that was silly and described in more detail how to drive it. They heard the noise and ordered the sway bar and ends since they didn't have the parts locally. After 2 days of driving waiting for the parts, the driver side started clunking just going to down the road and when turning the wheel.

Just got it back yesterday and there's no noise at all. Something to suggest to the repair shop and thanks for the heads up in the earlier post.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes anyone having the clunk with a build after what is in the TSB or had the TSB performed and still has a noise I am telling you it’s the sway bar end links. If you hear a noise while driving like a rattle and clunking constantly tell them to replace the sway bar end links

JayMann

Reaction score
Mine is a Dec2018 build if I remember the paperwork correctly.

1500 laramie crew cab
4x4 off road package
6'4" bed (if that matters)

no air suspension

I have the clunk. Going to get it checked out in the next week or so but it seems like it may be the sway bar links if mine doesn't qualify for the TSB referenced in the title above?

Users who are viewing this thread