5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

JayMann

Reaction score
Did they replace them or just tighten them? Any concerns that they'll loosen up again?

They just tightened them - they didn't mention anything about them potentially loosening up again in the future. We will see I guess.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they were tight from the factory, I have to wonder how they became loose? Did they put a threadlocker on the bolts? I'm just full of questions.

JayMann

Reaction score
If they were tight from the factory, I have to wonder how they became loose? Did they put a threadlocker on the bolts? I'm just full of questions.

I said the exact same thing. I figured that they didnt put any OEM locktight on it or something, I have the rest of the warranty period to shake it loose again, if it happens again, I'll tell them to use the next strength up on the locktight scale.

my tin hat theory is that this is how someone is sneaking drugs into the country. they purposely leave them loose, they start rattling around enough by the time the owner is driving it for a week or two. They bring it back to address the issue and this is when they remove the drugs. Don't ask me why they don't remove them BEFORE they sell the truck lol I'm still working on that part of the movie pitch.

Noubon125

Reaction score
Oh my gosh dealer did repalce my body mount but the clunking just still there it just die down a bit. On the warm day it will clunking more my truck have the noise like old truck with ball joints or stabilize links problem at the dealer 5 time for duplicate already they still said cant duplicate. So annoying

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh my gosh dealer did repalce my body mount but the clunking just still there it just die down a bit. On the warm day it will clunking more my truck have the noise like old truck with ball joints or stabilize links problem at the dealer 5 time for duplicate already they still said cant duplicate. So annoying
I had mentioned this already they did the same to me and it was the sway bar end link. Take it back and tell them to replace the sway bar end link

Jabrnet

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel, Rebel 12, no Etorque or air suspension. Build date - December 18th (60k+msrp - should not be having any issues)

I've read all 41 pages, so I'm just adding mine here with the concern that my build date is AFTER the dates listed in the TSB, and I'm hoping I don't catch any crap for that, because my problem sounds like what others are experiencing.

Purchased January 10th. January 22nd, I started noticing a single "knock", like a rock was hitting the underneath of the cab. This noise seemed to occur when making a left turn from uneven roads, like going down a hill on one road and turning onto a level road, or vice-versa. It doesn't make it every time, but I couldn't drive to work without hearing it at least a few times. Now I've heard the knock even when making a right turn. Then, today, I drove about 300 miles, and it would make the noise just traveling straight down the road when I went over very mild rough asphalt, and instead of a single knock, they might come in a short group of quick knocks. I think I can feel them sometimes through the floorboard, but never through the steering. I've even heard it when putting on the brakes, slowing in a straight line, like the cab rocking forward is triggering it.

I'm happy to provide my VIN number to RAM care, and if anyone to whom my description sounds familiar would like to reiterate what worked for them, please do so. Thanks.
I'm in the exact same boat...Truck... Just picked it up January 18th and started to notice the knock on February 5th. I'm sitting in the waiting room right now as the local dealer has a look.

Edit: yup, swaybar link here too. Backordered... Fun!

Last edited:

Noubon125

Reaction score
I had mentioned this already they did the same to me and it was the sway bar end link. Take it back and tell them to replace the sway bar end link
Thank bud i will it seem noise come from left front and it depend on weather if it dry and warm when i run on bad road it just clunking louder. I live with it since 5000km until now is 16000km they still cant duplicated it. So disappointed for the truck cost me 90k$.

JayMann

Reaction score
Thank bud i will it seem noise come from left front and it depend on weather if it dry and warm when i run on bad road it just clunking louder. I live with it since 5000km until now is 16000km they still cant duplicated it. So disappointed for the truck cost me 90k$.

if it's sway bar end links: when you get there, park near level ground. open the rear crew cab doors and grab the roof line where it's easiest for you to grab and start swaying the car from side to side. You WILL hear the clanking, maybe not as loud but you'll hear it.

For me doing this, I would get 1 loud clank in between 5-6 little quieter clanks. Once I realized I could hear something, I had someone else sway the car and I got in under the car behind the front wheels so the sway bar was right in front of my face and I could see that every time the sway bar end was touching the link, that's when I was hearing the clink.

Noubon125

Reaction score
if it's sway bar end links: when you get there, park near level ground. open the rear crew cab doors and grab the roof line where it's easiest for you to grab and start swaying the car from side to side. You WILL hear the clanking, maybe not as loud but you'll hear it.

For me doing this, I would get 1 loud clank in between 5-6 little quieter clanks. Once I realized I could hear something, I had someone else sway the car and I got in under the car behind the front wheels so the sway bar was right in front of my face and I could see that every time the sway bar end was touching the link, that's when I was hearing the clink.
Definitely i will try because sound like same thing with my truck even left front drop to the pot hole i could hear it loud.

1Raider

Reaction score
Well guys add me to the list of trucks with this problem.. Thought I had escaped it but mine has just started it,I have right around 9k on the clock so going to crawl under it and check the sway bar end links 1st before taking it in..

What size are the bolts on them?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you where the sway bar end links were the definitive cause of the problem, was it worse when it was colder and wet?

Whenever it's cold, snowy, and slushy, my truck gets a lot worse.

JayMann

Reaction score
hmm not sure as I had it fixed within 2 weeks of purchase so I didn't really have a chance to compare the weather related aspect of it

damianex

Reaction score
Yes anyone having the clunk with a build after what is in the TSB or had the TSB performed and still has a noise I am telling you it’s the sway bar end links. If you hear a noise while driving like a rattle and clunking constantly tell them to replace the sway bar end links
I appreciate your post, I started hearing clunks/rattles over rough pavement and took it in. Sure enough, loose nut on right end link. They tightened instead of replaced so will see if it comes back. 1/18/19 build date.

JayMann

Reaction score
oh- mine was Dec17 2018 build date.

For anyone interested.

VARam

Reaction score
My "clunking" started taking place around the same time I had a leveling kit installed. Unfortunately this sent me on a month-long tailspin thinking it had something to do with that. In other words the dealer didn't want to touch it.
I'm taking back in tomorrow for the TSB and check the sway bar end links... if it doesn't work, back to a F150.
I really want to like this truck, but way too much hassle for a $40k+ piece of machinery.

JayMann

Reaction score
My "clunking" started taking place around the same time I had a leveling kit installed. Unfortunately this sent me on a month-long tailspin thinking it had something to do with that. In other words the dealer didn't want to touch it.
I'm taking back in tomorrow for the TSB and check the sway bar end links... if it doesn't work, back to a F150.
I really want to like this truck, but way too much hassle for a $40k+ piece of machinery.

Hope you get it fixed as I was in the same boat as you.

Really liked the truck and wanted to keep it AND I didn't want an F150 since I knew the new model is coming out this year or early next year. Ford is the only other interior I would consider driving in.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings 5th gen Fam! I'm posting with a smile on my face because as of today my CLUNK is finally gone! -so here's a brief summary of my story...
I purchased my 2019 longhorn in October 2018 with 5 miles on the odometer. At around 100-150 miles I started hearing/experiencing the clunking/clanking/chatter which would occur at every little imperfection/bump in the road. I had a difficult time trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from while driving. At times i heard it in the rear, most the time i would hear it up front. Sometimes I thought it was coming from mid-center of the under body. I would feel it through the floor at times. It literally made me sick to stomach driving my brand new truck. I brought it to my original dealership 3 times with horrible customer service and neglect. at 4,500 miles I decided to bring my truck to a different dealership where i was treated with much more respect and attention. while a tech took a drive with me to diagnose he instantly said it was most likely my Sway Bar Joints so they ordered the parts and called me in when they were delivered. My sway bar end links ended up being fine and all that was needed was for the front and rear to be re torqued. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I have driven 100 miles since picking up my truck and it feels like a whole new truck!! So relieved, so happy. If you are experiencing any chatter under your truck try having your dealership check your sway bar nuts for re torque.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 78

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be wonderful if Ram would communicate this to their service organization. They seem to be going through everything but the sway bar to resolve the noise (to no avail), even after I suggested that they check the sway bar. They're supposedly just going through the diagnostics provided to them.

Users who are viewing this thread