5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey guys would it be easier for you all if you just take it to and "Installer".they do this stuff all the time and have all the right and necessary parts to get it done right.it would leave out a lot of guessing and its done.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey guys would it be easier for you all if you just take it to and "Installer".they do this stuff all the time and have all the right and necessary parts to get it done right.it would leave out a lot of guessing and its done.
Many have reported that stereo shops are not giving them a lot of confidence since the DT is relatively new and many shops have not worked with a lot of them.

Now that the truck has been out for just over 2 years hopefully some shops have some experience with them and can take care of your needs.

Many of us on here are DIY-ers so look to others’ experience to apply to our own projects.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many have reported that stereo shops are not giving them a lot of confidence since the DT is relatively new and many shops have not worked with a lot of them.

Now that the truck has been out for just over 2 years hopefully some shops have some experience with them and can take care of your needs.

Many of us on here are DIY-ers so look to others’ experience to apply to our own projects.

so am i.when i had trouble installing.i just went "Old School".and i did use some of the new stuff like the "AmpPro".all worked :love:!all i did was pass the speaker wire through the door to the"Amp....."AmpPro"just for the "RCA"cable."OLdSchool"stuff.so if i could do simple install like that.think what those guys can do..the same.this is all i did.No fancy "CrossOver,DsP or the like.SIMPLE...ReSULTs...(y):love:........

Kingnothing

Reaction score
Anyone tried 2 ohm speakers in the doors? There are may out there but I found these. Not sure how much of an upgrade they would be over stock.

cruz1996

Reaction score
No distortion that I can hear. Brought the overall rich sound back to system. Thanks to the 8 ohm of the FaitalPro speakers
Thank you I’m ordering them for mine now. I’m sold lol. When I play songs from Apple CarPlay they distort bad. With the factory speakers

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are worried about distortion make sure you get bass blockers. Some speakers come with them but the faital PROs do not.

Racercrazy

Reaction score
Finally installed my speakers yesterday. I went with the faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm units.

Disclaimer: The following is merely my experience and opinion regarding my speaker replacement. My personal tastes, desires, and budget may not be in line with yours. I take everything with a grain of salt and I hope you do too as everything that follows is almost completely subjective. YMMV.

They are considerably brighter than the OEM ones without being tinny. The clarity is much better too, although I'm sure that would be with just about anything aftermarket you drop in there.

I've been messing with the EQ settings to dial things in and I'm about 80% there and already happy with my decision. They have much more of a presence that the OEM ones and I've had to go back to the drawing board for sound settings. Even with only 3 settings in the EQ it doesn't take much to make a change in the overall sound in the cab so it will take some time to dial in. I'm trying to find a good overall setting to play all of my music. I'd figure out settings for each type I listen to but I don't have any EQ memory settings and my days of geeking out and making a settings chart are long behind me. I just want to play whatever floats my boat that day and have it sound good.

I kept the same balance (8 ohm speakers) with the door speakers as I am not interested in replacing my door speakers so wanted to keep things as stock-ish as possible. I was concerned that a 4 ohm speaker would further accentuate the imbalance forcing me to keep the treble setting low so I wouldn't lose the mid-bass in the front doors. That's pure conjecture on my part but a concern I had none-the-less.

My install went as most other have posted but ran into my own issues as is customary with just about anything I do. I am incredibly OCD about things (especially vehicles) so I had to make some adjustments to install things to my standards.

I will not post many pictures as the dash speakers have been discussed ad nauseam.

The grills are in there tight and I thought I was going to break the tabs when removing them. I didn't but I came close as the passenger's side seems to be wedged under the pillar trim a little more than the driver's side. I was able to work at it to get the grill out but the corner tab was not at a natural angle when it came out. It's still there but I can see the discoloration at the base of the tab (at the grill) where the plastic is weakened.

The stock speaker. It is indeed an 8 ohm speaker. I don't think there's a crossover built into the audio unit (like the amplified Alpine and HK) as there is a high pass filter (capacitor) attached to it:

View attachment 68028

The new speaker:

View attachment 68029

To select the mounts I was going to use I inspected the dash openings to determine which direction would have the best open area for the connection tabs on the faital PROs. I lined up the speakers so that the driver's side speaker tabs were facing inward (towards the center of the dash) and the passenger's side speaker tabs were facing forward (towards the hood). Luckily there's ample room in the pocket for the bass blockers and wiring but I wanted to make sure the tabs would be clear of interference when I installed the speakers (I said I was OCD).

Where most have only removed 1 of the unused mounts I removed both of the ones I did not use so that it was an even and flat fit. This also allowed the foam gasket (vibration insulation) to maximize contact. The two opposing mounts that I used on the speaker needed to be modified as they are a little shorter than the distance between the zip nuts. Others have tapped new holes in the plastic and not modified the mounts but I opted to use the OEM locations with the limited working space and my sausage fingers.

To do that I used my rotary tool and cutting wheel (some have used tin snips). I cut off the two mounts I wasn't going to use then opened up the two mounts I used. I cut the loop piece out of the end so that it was forked and ground down the raised lip for about 1/2 of the mount so that the screw would make full contact with the mount (did I mention I was OCD?).

I used the Metra 72-7902 connectors to make life easier...I thought. Turns out that they are wired backwards (out of phase). I'm not sure if they are all this way or if I'm in the minority but check your Metra connector to see how the wires line up. The white wire is (+) and the black wire is (-). The OEM connector has a different tracer for each speaker location but the main colors for all speaker connectors are violet (+) and yellow (-):

View attachment 68031

Doing a test fit (I lined up the connectors but did not press them into place) I found out that the Metra connectors are wired backwards (out of phase). I called Crutchfield and their recommendation was to cut the connectors off and put new ones on (larger connector on black wire and smaller connector on white wire). While this solves the issue you will have to remember that the colors are now opposite. Not acceptable for my OCD.

I had 3 options:

1. Not use the connector, clip the factory connector, put the spade connectors on the OEM wires, and connect the bass blockers/speakers.
2. Clip the connectors on the Metra wires and put new ones on.
3. Figure out how to swap the pins in the Metra connector.

There was only option that I deemed acceptable. I decided to figure out how to remove the pins and swap sides. As I discovered it is not as simple as it seems. I will spare the tedious experimentation and slew of expletives and skip to the process. On the back of the connector there is a little lock/flap that has two very small (and easily damaged) tabs and loops. I used a very small (electronic) flat blade screwdriver to pry those loops slightly out. Then I put a pick tool between the wires in the back of the plug and popped the tab up:

View attachment 68037

Then I used the pick tool in the pin side and gently pushed it along the pin on the 'top' of the pin (picture above shows the plug in the 'up' position). Applying a little pressure with the pick tool and gently pulling on the wire I was able to ease the pin out of the back of the connector with moderate effort. I'm not sure how it's held in there but it's not the traditional locking tab you see in many other types of plugs (like Molex connectors). Once you have both pins out swap sides (if you forget which side is which compare it to your truck connector so that the white wire lines up with the violet wire and the black wire lines up with the yellow wire). Make sure the pins are fully re-seated in the connector and close the locking tab and make sure it latches in the loops so it doesn't come open.

Next is the bass blockers. As others have said the spade tabs fit nicely into the Metra connectors. The plastic covers for the connectors should be touching (or very close) when they are fully seated. Like DrDrew, I was not impressed with the connectors. Mine seemed to be done at different pressures. Two seemed to be just enough for the crimp and the others seemed like there was way too much pressure used (one of the insulators was cracked). I wasn't going to see them and they would not be subjected to weather buried in the dash so it was not worth trying to get replacements and wait longer to install my speakers (convenience overrode OCD in this rare case).

I connected the white and black wires to the speaker. I used some due diligence so that I did not break the tabs on the speaker. The red dot over the larger tab is the (+) tab. The white wire (with the bass blocker installed in-line) is the (+) wire and had the larger tab so it's fairly idiot-proof (bass blocker should be installed on the (+) wire). I plugged the Metra connector into the truck plug and fed the wires down into the dash pockets. Luckily the pockets have plenty of room as the Crutchfield bass blockers add 7" or so if wiring. I centered the speakers over the mounts, snugged down the screws, and fired up the audio. Once I confirmed that both speakers were working I popped the grills back in and put my tools away.

What I thought was going to be an hour ended up being about four to get it done. My efforts, as usual, are more the exception than the rule. Hope this helps anyone considering this.

Getting this done was a consolidation of a lot if information I collected from others. Thanks to the following who made this possible: @YoAdrian (speaker specs), @I Love Grits (base audio wiring diagram), @Rambiss (for starting this thread for just the base audio system), and @Sonnie (for recommending the faital PRO speakers).

Thanks for the write up, great insight.

Question...
Did you put any thought or research into the door speakers? If so, what brand/model of speaker would you consider?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, great insight.

Question...
Did you put any thought or research into the door speakers? If so, what brand/model of speaker would you consider?
I did start down that road but decided to hold off on the doors. I wanted to see how much of a difference the dash speakers would make before going any further. Also, I have read of more people being disappointed with replacing their door speakers than were happy with it.

I have read positive reviews/results with CDT Audio 6x9s but I don't remember which model(s).

At this point adding a self-powered sub is about all I would want to do, which would be sometime down the road.

traymo

Reaction score
FaitalPRO has the dash speaker in 4 ohm and 8 ohm. Several guys have used them, and claim they sound better than any of the others used thus far. I can only verify they sound better than the Infinity or JL Audio (JL is underpowered)... based on my subjective listening abilities of course.
Sonnie, if I install the 8 ohms FaitalPROs for my dash speakers, should I use the 300Hz bass blockers or the 600Hz bass blockers? Since the 600Hz ones would block 0 to 300 Hz at 8 ohms, I am assuming I should use those. But, you know how assuming goes...lol.
Thanks, Tom

Wsmith

Reaction score
Sonnie, if I install the 8 ohms FaitalPROs for my dash speakers, should I use the 300Hz bass blockers or the 600Hz bass blockers? Since the 600Hz ones would block 0 to 300 Hz at 8 ohms, I am assuming I should use those. But, you know how assuming goes...lol.
Thanks, Tom
I installed the faital pro's without the bass blockers. They improved the sound quite a bit at low levels, but at high volumes they seem to be a little over driven, I ordered the 300Hz blockers but don't know when I will get around to installing them, Didn't mean to jump in on Sonnie.

traymo

Reaction score
I installed the faital pro's without the bass blockers. They improved the sound quite a bit at low levels, but at high volumes they seem to be a little over driven, I ordered the 300Hz blockers but don't know when I will get around to installing them, Didn't mean to jump in on Sonnie.
Did you just do your dash speakers, or did you do the doors too?

Wsmith

Reaction score
Did you just do your dash speakers, or did you do the doors too?
Just the dash, I am pretty happy with the door speaker kick. I will eventually add a moderate sub. The faital's did seem to rob some of the punch of the door speakers, I am hoping adding the blockers will return that punch to the door speakers.,

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom
Those are the ones I used (from Crutchfield) and am happy with them.

traymo

Reaction score
So, I ended up installing the 8 ohms FaitalPROs in my dash. They definitely are an improvement over the stock speakers. It did not fix the issue of the volume not making much of a difference over 23. I almost always listen to SiriusXM. I noticed that the FM stations do not seem to have the volume limited. The volume can get a lot louder in FM mode. Wish someone knew how to fix the volume clipping in SAT mode.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The signal and compressed nature of the data is why I do not renew XM radio, it sounds terrible compared to other input sources. Even Bluetooth sounds better than XM. The best fix I've found for volume clipping is fade the sound to the front a few notches

traymo

Reaction score
The signal and compressed nature of the data is why I do not renew XM radio, it sounds terrible compared to other input sources. Even Bluetooth sounds better than XM. The best fix I've found for volume clipping is fade the sound to the front a few notches
My '15 Ram stock 6 speaker system sounded great. The sound didn't clip like that in SAT mode. That is the reason I didn't pay extra for the others systems when I ordered my Rebel. The clipping has to be something in the programming of the head unit.
It is hard to fade it to the front with the new FaitalPROs. They are much brighter and clear. I am thinking of switching out the rears with a set of aftermarket 2 ohms speakers. If that would help with a better "loudness" and a little more bass, it might be livable.

dblack

Reaction score
I put in the 8ohm Faital Pros today. MUCH better. I had seen posts regarding the Metra harness being reversed, so I went with Red Wolf X002IBRG19 with no issues.

There have been many posts about sound difference/quality change so I thought I would leave those alone, but post about the volume.

I know this isn't 100% scientific, but it should show the overall change.

Playing the same song (throw it up) via IPOD I measured DB levels at 3 different points in the song using the iPhone app dB meter. The phone was placed in the same spot in truck and the truck was running with windows up in my garage both times.

Volume Level 10
15 Seconds into song
Factory
Faital
30 seconds in:
Factory:
Faital
1:00 in:
Factory:
Faital

Volume at 15
15 Seconds into song