5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

Bighorned

Reaction score
Many have trimmed them like this:

Write-up of my installation:

Unfortunately I was pressed for time to finish and didn't take a picture after I trimmed the speakers. I test-fitted them to see which way I wanted the terminals to face underneath so that there was plenty of room for the connectors and to feed the wires and bass blocker down into the dash.

Once I was happy with the orientation I took my rotary (Dremel) tool and cut the end piece out of the tabs I was going to use to turn them into a fork instead of a closed tab. Then I ground down the collar on the tab near the tip so that it was flat. These mounts will be on opposing sides.

Then I cut the other two tabs off. some have only cut one off but my OCD would not let me do that as the speaker would not sit flat in the mount for my truck.

This is if you are going to use the OEM mounting screws/speed nuts. If you want you can just drill new holes in the dash plastic next to the mounting location so you don't need to modify the mounting tabs (I think Sonnie did that) but there is not enough room to maneuver for me to comfortably do that with the windshield making it a small space to work in.

OEM speaker:

View attachment 73746

faitalPRO 3FE22:

View attachment 73747

faitalPRO in my dash with mounting tab modifications:

View attachment 73748
that's awesome! Thanks again! I'll order them tonight!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Much better but not overpowering. I gave some initial thoughts in my installation post (post #72).

Several months down the road now and I'm still really happy with my choice.

Lots of other options out there that people have gone with and been happy but I have not read of anyone being disappointed with the faitalPROs, me included.

NHSierraHotel

Reaction score
First time poster, thanks to EVERYONE who contributed to this discussion, especially the folks that pitched in on the V6 equipped units (my interest). A lot of experience and wisdom in these pages . . .

I installed Infinity Reference 3032-cfx to resolve what I felt was muddy sound from the 6 speaker base system. First, I’ve never done an install so easy. 15 minutes per side, no extra parts, no blood, not even one bad word! Second, it did accomplish the goal of clearing up the sound. I’m tempted to replace the door speakers, but I think others here have convinced me it’s not worth the effort.

This is my fourth RAM, and I’ve had the under seat sub in every one up to now. If I decide to make that leap I’ll probably look for a simple solution.

duchunter6

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, taking delivery of my 2020 V6 with 8.4 base 6-speaker system tomorrow. Itching to get started and after reading this entire thread, wanted to confirm a couple of things.

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible, so just going to install the two 8 ohm faitalPROs in the dash for now. Since I don't have ANC, do I still need the bass blockers from Crutchfield? Getting them makes sense to me, except all the examples in this thread seem from Hemis with ANC, so I wasn't sure if the V6 ANC-less system already blocks the bass going to the dash speakers. Thanks in advance!

Wsmith

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, taking delivery of my 2020 V6 with 8.4 base 6-speaker system tomorrow. Itching to get started and after reading this entire thread, wanted to confirm a couple of things.

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible, so just going to install the two 8 ohm faitalPROs in the dash for now. Since I don't have ANC, do I still need the bass blockers from Crutchfield? Getting them makes sense to me, except all the examples in this thread seem from Hemis with ANC, so I wasn't sure if the V6 ANC-less system already blocks the bass going to the dash speakers. Thanks in advance!
They sound good without, but at high volumes they are driven too hard without the blockers. Try without you can always put them in later. Not sure on the technical question about ANC. Try them without first.

KJC12

Reaction score
First time poster, thanks to EVERYONE who contributed to this discussion, especially the folks that pitched in on the V6 equipped units (my interest). A lot of experience and wisdom in these pages . . .

I installed Infinity Reference 3032-cfx to resolve what I felt was muddy sound from the 6 speaker base system. First, I’ve never done an install so easy. 15 minutes per side, no extra parts, no blood, not even one bad word! Second, it did accomplish the goal of clearing up the sound. I’m tempted to replace the door speakers, but I think others here have convinced me it’s not worth the effort.

This is my fourth RAM, and I’ve had the under seat sub in every one up to now. If I decide to make that leap I’ll probably look for a simple solution.
Does your truck have the ANC?

Aykillah

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’m re thinking my audio situation after blindly jumping into buying speakers when this thread didn’t exist below is my current setup:

Dash - Kicker 46CSC354 CS Series 3-1/2" 2-way car speakers 4ohm and Crutchfield 300hz bass blockers
Doors - Kicker 46CSC54 CS Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers 4ohm

The sound is way better than stock but the issue I’m running into now is the dash feels way overbassed if that makes sense, to the point that it’s hard to hear details sometimes. Would you guys recommend going to the FaitalPros? Or something different. Car audio is not one of my strengths. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

-Alex

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you like the sound you have now you might want to bump up to the 600Hz bass lockers and see if that helps.

You have created a unique matching now that you’ve strayed from the 8ohm (dash) and 2 ohm (door) OEM setup. Changing the dash speaker may help but you are changing the whole profile of the sound you have now (brand, inpedance, etc.) which could end up better or worse.

If it were me I would start with a cheaper option to see if that helps before replacing the speakers, especially if you like your current setup overall.
Also, play with the EQ settings. It took some experimenting to find my “happy place” when I installed my faitalPRO dash speakers.

Just my .02

Aykillah

Reaction score
If you like the sound you have now you might want to bump up to the 600Hz bass lockers and see if that helps.

You have created a unique matching now that you’ve strayed from the 8ohm (dash) and 2 ohm (door) OEM setup. Changing the dash speaker may help but you are changing the whole profile of the sound you have now (brand, inpedance, etc.) which could end up better or worse.

If it were me I would start with a cheaper option to see if that helps before replacing the speakers, especially if you like your current setup overall.
Also, play with the EQ settings. It took some experimenting to find my “happy place” when I installed my faitalPRO dash speakers.

Just my .02
Thanks. It sounds great, way better than stock, it’s just the dash speaker issue that sounds horrible when the volume is up past around 15, I have to turn the bass all the way down just about for it to sound normal, not sure if that explains what im hearing. I can’t give my exact EQ settings as I’m currently deployed.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. It sounds great, way better than stock, it’s just the dash speaker issue that sounds horrible when the volume is up past around 15, I have to turn the bass all the way down just about for it to sound normal, not sure if that explains what im hearing. I can’t give my exact EQ settings as I’m currently deployed.
If it's just the bass that's hitting too low in the dash speakers I would definitely try bumping up the to 600 Hz (@ 4 ohm) bass blockers and see if that solves your problem. The door speakers have more than enough bass to compensate for any you lose in the dash.

$10 + tax/shipping is a lot better than new speakers.

Thank you for your service.

Aykillah

Reaction score
If it's just the bass that's hitting too low in the dash speakers I would definitely try bumping up the to 600 Hz (@ 4 ohm) bass blockers and see if that solves your problem. The door speakers have more than enough bass to compensate for any you lose in the dash.

$10 + tax/shipping is a lot better than new speakers.

Thank you for your service.
I’ll definitely have to try that when I get back. I appreciate the help guys.
Welcome

Kdixer

Reaction score
Coming from an 18 F150 with the B&O, my new 21 Ram with the base audio simply was not filling the void. The door speakers produce decent bass for 6x9's. Adjusting the eq to make up for the lack of a sub just makes the system sound muddy. So I began researching. I did not want to lose space under the rear seat.

Long story short, I ordered a stock sub and enclosure from the alpine system. Since this sub has 3 voice coils at 2.2 ohms I decided to purchase a kicker CXA400.1 to run it. This amp is rated for a 1 ohm load. Wiring the 3 coils in parallel will net a .73 ohm load. I felt this would be fine since the gain would need to be adjusted down so low to keep from overpowering the sub. Using a PAC ANC-CH10 I bypassed the ANC module and fed the rear high level unputs to the amp. No remote turn on was necessary for the amp.

Inital startup of the sub was good considering there was no sub before. I set the bass boost on the amp to +6db. I adjusted the crossover to where I felt it sounded the best. I set the gain to just below where it began to overpower the sub.

I felt there was a bit more left on the table. I had read about the polarity issues during all of my research so I decided to reverse the sub leads at the amp. Bingo, the sub sounded exactly like I was hoping. Now that I had a solid source for bass I adjusted the eq to clean up the sound on the factory speakers. Less bass on the doors results in a cleaner sound to my ears.

I was really regretting not getting one of the upgraded audio packages but not anymore. The alpine and hk systems roll off at high volumes. The base system does not seem to do that. Driving the factory sub from an end user adjustable amp gives you the ability to make it sound nice.

In retrospect I might have went with a lower powered amp to push the sub. But I wanted to have a plan B in case the factory sub disappointed. I am very pleased with the results though.

Last edited:

jstank

Reaction score
I put in the Faital Pros 8omh with 600Hzt bass blockers for the 2 dash speakers. Definitely an improvement in clarity, almost too sharp. Planning on adding the Kicker hideaway 10inch sub behind the rear seats someday. I cut the 2 extra tabs off then used a Dremel to shave down the edges of the two I used and lengthened the holes for the screws.
Hope the pictures help anyone who's thinking of doing this too. Glad I did.
20210119_172310.jpg 20210119_172319.jpg 20210119_172329.jpg

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put in the Faital Pros 8omh with 600Hzt bass blockers for the 2 dash speakers. Definitely an improvement in clarity, almost too sharp.
I had to completely re-do the equalizer after adding mine. In the end I kept the clarity and got rid of the sharpness. Now it is clear and crisp.

Jbindn

Reaction score
Just replaced my dash speakers with the FaitalPros and bass blockers. Now I'm trying tune it in via the stock EQ. How are you guys setting your fade, bass, treble and mids? Just looking for settings as a reference. Thanks!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my speakers faded 1 to the rear and the following EQ settings:

Bass +3
Mid +5
Treble +3

I have the speed adjust volume off as mine sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

MarkB67

Reaction score
Just replaced my dash speakers with the FaitalPros and bass blockers. Now I'm trying tune it in via the stock EQ. How are you guys setting your fade, bass, treble and mids? Just looking for settings as a reference. Thanks!
When asking this question there are a lot of variables, all music sounds different with different feeds , Bluetooth feed actually sucks in these trucks, cd’s are more consistent but people rarely use them anymore, then you have FM and Satellite radio which I’ve found to be pretty good but you get covered up with commercials which is a huge pet peeve of mine, gonna try a direct connection next from my iPhone, I installed Pioneer 6x9 in all 4 doors ( TS-G690) over the weekend and they have made a huge difference without touching the dash speakers, I first installed the Infinity dash speakers (4ohm)and they drained the power from the factory front door speakers so then added the 6x9s and Infinity dash speakers then FaitalPro 8ohm with 600hz bass blockers and it still seemed that they were stealing power from the front doors ,so now I’ve put the factory dash speakers back in and with the highs now coming from the Pioneer 6x9s you don’t need as much coming from the dash speakers, although I will add if amplified power going to all speakers wasn’t a problem I would definitely go with the Infinity Reference dash speakers over the FaitalPro as they sounded better to me and are a hell of a lot better built, if I had to do it over again I would start with 6x9s in the doors and most likely not add the dash speakers

mophead

Reaction score
When asking this question there are a lot of variables, all music sounds different with different feeds , Bluetooth feed actually sucks in these trucks, cd’s are more consistent but people rarely use them anymore, then you have FM and Satellite radio which I’ve found to be pretty good but you get covered up with commercials which is a huge pet peeve of mine, gonna try a direct connection next from my iPhone, I installed Pioneer 6x9 in all 4 doors ( TS-G690) over the weekend and they have made a huge difference without touching the dash speakers, I first installed the Infinity dash speakers (4ohm)and they drained the power from the factory front door speakers so then added the 6x9s and Infinity dash speakers then FaitalPro 8ohm with 600hz bass blockers and it still seemed that they were stealing power from the front doors ,so now I’ve put the factory dash speakers back in and with the highs now coming from the Pioneer 6x9s you don’t need as much coming from the dash speakers, although I will add if amplified power going to all speakers wasn’t a problem I would definitely go with the Infinity Reference dash speakers over the FaitalPro as they sounded better to me and are a hell of a lot better built, if I had to do it over again I would start with 6x9s in the doors and most likely not add the dash speakers
I figured sound would be source dependent. Can you tell me if the base 6 speaker unit will accept usb drive audio and if it can handle high bit rate lossless audio files?

Users who are viewing this thread